By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - VGchartz's Demon's Souls thread

@dlik2k3 thanks for the answers, I think I'll be staying with my Talisman of the beasts then and continue upgrading my Dark Steel Shield for my Royal in new game+...

Around the Network
wenlan said:
ocnkng said:

I have an important question to ask. I will probably make my purchase decision based upon the answer.
Is it possible to customize your character's armor/clothes as you play the game?
If yes then do the changes reflect in the look of your character in game?

For example if I acquire a bad-ass helmet or a robe or say leather armor and wear it, does that show on my in-game character?

Yes, but no upgrade option for the armor/clothes.  In this game, you can only upgrade weapons.

Yes, it even reflect in the cut scene.

Darn you can't upgrade armor? I really was hoping for that.

Can you tell me of any RPG on the PS3 or PC where you could do that?

I loved this feature in Mass Effect.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees

The said:
ocnkng said:

I have an important question to ask. I will probably make my purchase decision based upon the answer.
Is it possible to customize your character's armor/clothes as you play the game?
If yes then do the changes reflect in the look of your character in game?

For example if I acquire a bad-ass helmet or a robe or say leather armor and wear it, does that show on my in-game character?

You change armor for the head, arms, torso and legs. You may even find some armor in game which is for females only, so that also brings more diversity to the game. Armor not only reflects on your appearance, it also affects your movement depending on how much weight you have EQUIPPED on you, but there's also a stat which you can only notice when you try different types of armor: Starmina Regeneration Impact. You have a Stamina bar which refills automatically when you are not melee-attacking/running/rolling (it refills while blocking, but slowly), and the time your stamina takes to refill depends on your armor.

There are different categories of armor and each one has different stamina regeneration penalties which aren't necessarily related to their weight. For example, the Old Raggedy Gloves weigh 3.5 pounds and their stamina regeneration penalty is the same (very low) as the Plate Gauntlet. Later on the game you can get a Ring of Strength which boosts your Equipped weight capacity, and greatly helps you to stay unemcumbered and agile even while wearing some very heavy armor/weapons.

However, your stamina regeneration is still a complete different element you have to keep an eye on, regardless of your equipped load, and you have to take that into consideration depending on the type of character you want to play, your fighting style, and everything . Are you going for the big swing with a heavy stamina-consuming big sword/axe? and rely on your physical defense/shield block, or will you prefer having a quick stamina regen so you can tumble around as much as you like and still be able to "stick and move", sneak attack, keep your distance and blast with magic, or maybe a balance between agility and melee power? It's all up to you!

Wow. Thanks for the information. I will definitely be getting this game now. I love equipping armor and customizing my character.

One more dumb question: the combat in this game is real time?

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees

ocnkng said:

Wow. Thanks for the information. I will definitely be getting this game now. I love equipping armor and customizing my character.

One more dumb question: the combat in this game is real time?

yes, it is real time.  it's an action RPG.

when fighting with other games who invade your world (as a black phantom), it's like playing Ninga Gaiden Sigma

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

^yes, it's action/rpg, and you have an arsenal of moves at your disposal, and they change depending on the type of weapon you wield, and your ability to roll gets better the lighter you're equipped with. Certain weapons can be wielded 2-handed, and attacks change. Power attacks are possible, and those too are different depending on the weapon. You can backstep and launch a trust attack, roll in all directions, backstab (sneak attack, and there are items and magic to help you improve this type of attacks), you can use some weapons like spears and mailbreakers while guarding too. It's pretty complex.

Around the Network

Should hold out for the American version, or should I just buy the asian version right now? If so, what if any reason will convince me to get the american version?

"Life is but a gentle death. Fate is but a sickness that results in extinction and in the midst of all the uncertainty, lies resolve."

^If you're interested in the OFFICIAL Guide, then you should wait and buy the DELUXE Demon's Souls version. That one will sell (and it's been pre-ordered) for $69.99., it also comes with a slipcover. If you pre-order any US version you also get a bonus soundtrack CD and art book (limited quantities for these, not ALL pre-orders will get this 100% guaranteed). The difference between versions (the Asian and the US version) are minimal, mainly grammatical corrections, some words changed here and there, nothing major. The US version will only be able to play online on the US servers (instead of the asian servers), so if you care about that, well now you know. Also, the US version won't be able to use saves from other versions and viceversa. There you go, make up your mind, and get the game, whatever version you choose you'll be getting a great one, and the best RPG this year for any console.

The said:

^If you're interested in the OFFICIAL Guide, then you should wait and buy the DELUXE Demon's Souls version. That one will sell (and it's been pre-ordered) for $69.99., it also comes with a slipcover. If you pre-order any US version you also get a bonus soundtrack CD and art book (limited quantities for these, not ALL pre-orders will get this 100% guaranteed). The difference between versions (the Asian and the US version) are minimal, mainly grammatical corrections, some words changed here and there, nothing major. The US version will only be able to play online on the US servers (instead of the asian servers), so if you care about that, well now you know. Also, the US version won't be able to use saves from other versions and viceversa. There you go, make up your mind, and get the game, whatever version you choose you'll be getting a great one, and the best RPG this year for any console.

Looks like am getting the deluxe version, I don't want to be out of my depth in the asian servers with the hardcore players.

Thanks bro.

"Life is but a gentle death. Fate is but a sickness that results in extinction and in the midst of all the uncertainty, lies resolve."

I wish they'd announce a EU date already!

NCSX said:

Update: August 24, 2009
Demon's Souls is sold out again. We expect to restock again within the next 1-2 weeks. Demon's Souls has surpassed Metal Gear Solid 4 as our top selling PS3 game ever since the console was released a few years ago. We'll probably sell a few copies of the domestic version as well so cumulatively, Demon's Souls will probably stand in position as our top PS3 seller for the foreseeable future.

This is from the popular New York based importer NCSX, taken from their Asian Ver. Demon's Souls page. Between this place and play-asia being chronically sold out, it sounds like a good number of asian and korean copies have been sold, and that's well deserved.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka