By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 3 preorder update...

2.5m first week for Halo 2 with the majority being pre-orders.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

I live in Lubbock, TX. Town of 200K, with I believe 4 or 5 gamestop/eb games locations.

Anyways I was there today, and asked about the Halo pre-orders so far. They said right now they are at 650. That is pretty impressive considering, a week before Madden shipped they had 200 preorders for Madden across all consoles. Keep in mind that Madden is huge here being that I am in TX, and this is a college town.

Just a question but if preorders have hit over 4 million (Source:http://news.filefront.com/halo-3-preorders-exceed-4-million/) how could this game sell less than that on the first week?

Frozenfuryblade said:
Just a question but if preorders have hit over 4 million (Source:http://news.filefront.com/halo-3-preorders-exceed-4-million/) how could this game sell less than that on the first week?

I think that's been debunked... first off Gamestop wouldn't have Halo 3 preorder numbers from other retailers.. unless of course they're reporting 4 million preorders just for Gamestop which seems insanely impossible.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Frozenfuryblade said:

There were a bunch of 4M preorder numbers being thrown around which turned out to be bunk.  Microsoft themselves came out and said they had just crossed the million mark at about the same time.  I would guess it is probably around 1.5M at this point in time -- maybe a little more.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

Ah alright thanks for clearing that up.

Jeez... it's scary Halo 3 comes out next week, it is a hugely pivotal point in this generation especially now with GTAIV delayed.

I really think there is only one game (maybe two) games that rival the hugeness of this game this year... Galaxy and Brawl and on top of that I think Halo 3 will sell the highest amount in the first week of any game this year...

Doesnt Halo 2 own the record for the fastest sellling game of all time? Well I think this will beat it.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

roadkillers said:
Doesnt Halo 2 own the record for the fastest sellling game of all time? Well I think this will beat it.
 No, World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade has overtaken it now. 

The Burning Crusade is an expansion pack and not an actual game. A expansion pack is not a stand alone product. A expansion pack is often a required purchase made to a captive audience as well. A example would be unless you buy the pack your character is forced to be weaker then those that buy the expansion. There is a sense of need not only to stay competitive, but also to get the continued quality of gameplay you enjoyed before.

Obviously it is not a fair comparison, and you would be hard pressed to say it is a actual game. To be fair if you consider the Burning Crusade to be a game then you must also consider the map packs for Halo 2 to also be a game. Which would probably once again mean that Halo 2 would jump back up on top well at the least for the first pack.

I have nothing against expansions done properly however I will never consider them true games. They do not sell on their own merits as much as the game they expand upon.