By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will PS3 < $200 US before Next-Gen?

I played a PS3 a few weeks ago and I must say I enjoyed resistance for the most part (2 player co-op only though) and I saw that demo video of Little Big Plannet which looks fricken awsome. (My kinda game).

The problem for me though is that there is no way I am gonna pay $1000 AUS for a system.  I was pushing it just to purchase the Wii at $400.

I can say that I wont buy the PS3 till it hits around $300 AUS. Especially since it will be my second system (or third depending on 360 price reductions, (and Wifey's annoyance level)), and the majority of my gaming $$$ will be going into Wii Games because I just know ther'll be quite a few I want to own and I already have the system to start with so saving money to purchase another system will take money away from purchasing games. (Plus I'll need to purchase a HD-TV to take advantage of the systems which takes away more $$$ from gaming).

My question is however, will the PS3 price be in range of purchasing before the Next Generation of gaming is upon us?  We are already getting towards the end of the 2nd year and will be entering the 3rd year within months (For Xbox 360 anyway - Approaching the 2nd year for PS3/Wii).

I know that if the Next Generation consoles are being shown off and the PS3 is not at or below $300 AUS ($200 US) by this time then I wont even bother getting one and I'll be waiting for the Next Gen.

I know the PS3 has reduced the price quite a bit already but how much more can they get it down (Especially if they want to make a profit) over the coming months and years?  They've reduced the Blue ray laser from $130 to something like $8 so reducing that more is not going to save huge amounts. I know they can still reduce it by huge amounts but will it get down to $200 US before the Next Gen showings?

The PS2 has Just hit below $200 Aus this past year (7 Years on the market), but the PS3 is so much more expensive then the PS2 was at it's release point. I think in 3 or so Years, we will be hearing about the New consoles, Will the PS3 be in time though?

Discuss your thoughts and share your idea of cost reductions for PS3.

It's me...  no really, it IS me!!!

Around the Network

See guys, the price is holding the ps3 back.

lol

No it wont be $199.99 by 2010.

mM

If the consoles turns out successfully, then I think so.

leo-j said:

lol

Yes, it will:

December 2007: $399
December 2008: $299
December 2009: $199

The PS3 doesn't contain supercomputer components or anything, as they are already out-dated. In 2009, the system will be 3 years old. And, most consoles in a cycle are sold AFTER it reaches $200. Maybe Sony doesn't want to sell that many consoles though, eh?

DEC 07:$499.99

DEC 08:$399.99

DEC 09:$299.99

mM
Around the Network

LOOOLL.

When will next gen start?

PS2 still isn't below 100 and it is very outdated. I doubt the PS3 will get below 200.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

z64dan said:
leo-j said:

lol

Yes, it will:

December 2007: $399
December 2008: $299
December 2009: $199

The PS3 doesn't contain supercomputer components or anything, as they are already out-dated. In 2009, the system will be 3 years old. And, most consoles in a cycle are sold AFTER it reaches $200. Maybe Sony doesn't want to sell that many consoles though, eh?

It's hard to believe Sony will drop the price by another $100 US this year.  It will be seen as a desperate move and investors will not be impressed by the further losses it will incure.  Although, the $399 price tage for Dec 07 is not out of the question.  If it is able to achieve this and then a $100 drop every year till the end of '09 then it might just reach that hotspot in time.

This gen starts when GTA4 is out :)

GranTurismo said:
This gen starts when GTA4 is out :)

;p - I must say I am wanting this game too!!! Damn it! too many good games on too many systems!

To be honest, I really think consumers would be better off if there where only 2 Next Gen consoles.  With 2, price wars will still happen (Maybe not so much) but then we would only have to buy 2 Next Gen Consoles instead of 3 to get all of the great exclusives.  ATM, to purchase 3 seperate consoles is a huge investment and then places to keep all 3 as well is another annoyance.