By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why cel-shaded graphics are considered something for children by Americans?

Soriku said:

CGI is for kids!

But no, not really. Both can be used for "mature" games too. Unless ToS, ToV, Valkyria Chronicles, Prince of Persia, etc. is kiddy.

Grouping all of those games together doesn't quite work.

Around the Network

Well the game was made in France, but it was aimed at a western audiance.

invetedlotus123 said:

Well, i don't remember american producer investing in cel-shaded games for mature public.

You're wrong. Period. End of discussion.

Soriku said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Cell shaded products are generally aimed at kids. If you want a design style that everyone can watch, use CGI.

CGI is for kids!

But no, not really. Both can be used for "mature" games too. Unless ToS, ToV, Valkyria Chronicles, Prince of Persia, etc. is kiddy.

CGI can be enjoyed by kids and adults alike. Toy Story was the first CGI movie by Disney and was a hit with families. So I guess the Final Fantasy movies don't weren't mature enough for anyone but kids. What about Resident Evil:Degeneration? What about cutscenes in modern HD console games? I'm sorry, but CGI is the way of the future as opposed to Cel Shading which is less accepted. Try putting that on in the states and you'll see nothing but a small cult following behind it.

The GC Zelda games, and even Sly Cooper were given the title of kiddy games, based solely on the fact that they were Cel Shaded. Cell Shading's other name is called TOON SHADING, which toons are aimed at CHILDREN!!

My guess:

In America cartoons are mainly for children (cel-shading looks cartoony)
In Japan they have anime and anime has a wider target group? (Much anime made for children, but there are also a lot of anime produced for an older audience).
I think this might have something to do with it...

The thing about trying to look mature by prefering things labeled as mature is valid argument as well I think.

And: cel-shading >>>>>>>>>>>CGI :p

Around the Network

Sorry People against Teh Cell Shading.....Here is why...I played this yesterday...I envy Japanese Wii owners...

Khuutra said:

No, they don't. If you look at VGChartz's list for the top-selling games of all time in the Americas, you have to get down to spot 18 before you find your first FPS, which is Halo 3. In the top 50 titles in the region, FPSes only make up a handful.

I admit I should have said 'shooter' to account for 3rd person shooters as well.

I'll just explain why I said what I said, because I used some variables that people may or may not agree I should have used.

I was using this list http://vgchartz.com/atotals.php because I wanted to get a reasonably modern look at what American gamers purchase. I was not really interested at what american gamers wanted to purchase 15 years ago. I was also talking about games that were designed for the 'mature public' as that is what the op seemed to be talking about. So I was not including nintendogs and pokemon and such. If you take away the Wii (insert whatever) from that list it leave you with basically a bunch of shooting games with a Madden game for flavour. Don't get me wrong I don't really consider Wii sports to be less mature that Halo 3, I just didin't think the op was talking about more casual based games designed for everyone, but more about games that you would raise an eyebrow at if someone said they were going to let their five year old play them. This is just how I looked at the op's statement though.

Cel Shading isn't tied to a demographic or a genre. Its a way of producing graphics. Just because some people who consider themselves 'hardcore' gamers deny themselves the chance to play good games because they have brighter graphics doesn't make them bad.

Case in point:

Dragon Quest VIII, Okami, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Naruto: Gekito Ninja Taisen 4, etc.

A good example of Cel Shading done right

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Tales of Vesperia and Valkyria Chronicles are both pretty mature games and they are both cel-shaded. I don't get why people think a game is kiddy just because they are cel-shaded.

I dont like cel shaded greafix very much. I loved cartoons, especially old Disney movies but cel shaded grafix feel misplaced in most games.

It worked very well in Zelda Wind waker though.

If grafix are aiming for kiddy/unrealistic look I prefer that they try to make Bug's Life/Toy Story/Finding Nemo computer animation looking grafix instead, much like the style Rare are designing their games in the HD era.