By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why PS3 has a chance to outsell the Xbox 360 in 2009?

I think think Sony can do it.

Reasons

1. In 2009 PS3 will have many new Exclusive Games released on it, such as God of War III.

2. Even if Sony gives the PS3 a $50 price cut by the Holiday season, it should sell much faster.

3. More and more people are now realizing the power of the PS3.

4. The PS3 has outsold Wii in Japan for 5 weeks (I believe). If it can do that it can outsell the Xbox 360 in the United States.

5. Microsoft has no announced any BIG games for the 360 in '09.

But what do you guys think, I believe the PS3 can achieve this feat.

Own: N64, Gameboy Color, PS2, Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DS, 60 GB PS3, PSP-2001

Currently Playing: Modern Warfare 2, and Borderlands!!

Favorites: Metal Gear Solid 4, Pokemon Firered, Dragonball Z Budokai 3, Jak and Daxter, Resistance: Fall of Man, Daxter, Little Big Planet, Infamous, Modern Warfare 2, Borderlands.

Around the Network

Guys, he's new. Be kind. That said, I'd suggest you lurk more before joining a website.

It has a really good chance. PS3 by the far hands, does have the better edge on exclusives. If they are all released on time, the sales can spike. I think it'll need a price cut as well and in order for it to happen, they gotta redesign the fat ass grill :P

Above I'm a proud Gran Turismo fan, not a Sony fanboy, and now a proud 360 owner, but sharing xbox live accts ATM

End of 2009 Predictions (made Jan 1, 2009): My predictions were pretty accurate, the 360 was over and the Wii was just under.

Wii: 65 mil (yea I'm crazy) 360: 35 mil (its getting there) PS3: 30 mil (the slim better do well)

End of 2010 Predictions (made Jan 7, 2010):

Wii: 81 mil  360: 47 mil PS3: 45 mil

God of War 3 is most likely going to be released in March 2010.

And the PS3 has outsold Wii for 6 weeks :P (in Japan)

And yes Sony has the edge this year. Itll probaly outsell 360.

I honestly don't think exclusives alone really makes that big of a difference. 

Didn't the PS3 have more exclusives than the 360 last year too? Wasn't LittleBigPlanet supposed to light the sales charts on fire?

Has Killzone caused the the PS3 to surge past the 360? Is it a "Halo killer?". Wasn't the Home Network supposed to be some major selling point for the PS3? Was the first Uncharted a huge hit?

I wouldn't underestimate Microsoft, if they don't have a big exclusive this fall they will simply just throw a lot of money at some dev to get a big exclusive. 

If Sony only drops their price by $50, Microsoft can counter that pretty easily by just including a pack-in game with all their SKUs. 

Around the Network

Not trying to piss on anyones parade, but didnt 360 gain a 500k lead in the first quarter of this year? Will be very hard close that gap and go beyond. Still, if the 360 can do it, why shouldnt the PS3 be able to do the same..

But theres alot of things that has to go the PS3s way for this to happen.

Number 3 made me chuckle.

@Soundwave, r you crazy saying the PS3 had more exclusives then the 360, anyways the PS3 has a big gaming line-up this year, which was one of the major problems why the PS3 didnt sell good before, and if they add a $50 price cut, then the gap could be around 5-6million.

rafichamp said:
@Soundwave, r you crazy saying the PS3 had more exclusives then the 360, anyways the PS3 has a big gaming line-up this year, which was one of the major problems why the PS3 didnt sell good before, and if they add a $50 price cut, then the gap could be around 5-6million.

Thats exactly what I'm saying, and sorry guys if I posted something wrong or something I'm new to the site.

Does anybody here know how many PS3's Sony has shipped by now. I remember 21.3 million back in December but it has to be atleast 23 or 24 million by now? Does anybody know how many units have been shipped by now?

Own: N64, Gameboy Color, PS2, Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DS, 60 GB PS3, PSP-2001

Currently Playing: Modern Warfare 2, and Borderlands!!

Favorites: Metal Gear Solid 4, Pokemon Firered, Dragonball Z Budokai 3, Jak and Daxter, Resistance: Fall of Man, Daxter, Little Big Planet, Infamous, Modern Warfare 2, Borderlands.

The PS3 does have a chance to outsell the 360 this year. I doubt it will happen but there is always a chance.

This is the "down time" for console sales. So a few weeks here and there of winning in Japan really will not have much of an effect on overall yearly sales. The last 3 months of the year is what really matters. Don't forget, the PS3 was ahead of the 360 for most of last year and then came Christmas and the price cut.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!