By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was this the week that changed the tide of the console war?

DirtyP2002 said:

Pokemon Stadium 3 for the Wii and a Zelda Wii are enough for crazy wii sales.

A new Resident Evil game, a new Tales game a monster Hunter game etc. Wii is THE winner this gen.

I own a Wii and it almost NEVER gets switched on.

If these two games were released, not only would it never be turned OFF, I would buy a second Wii so that the games could be played at both ends of the house.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

Probably not. But it is an interesting week, and certainly an important one for PS3 in Japan. And arguably for Wii too, although for different reasons.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
Probably not. But it is an interesting week, and certainly an important one for PS3 in Japan. And arguably for Wii too, although for different reasons.

I disagree that it's an important week for either platform...

All this shows is that there's a hardcore group of Japanese Final Fantasy lovers who are looking forward to FF13, and willing to buy a demo and a Final Fantasy special edition console. This is not surprising or revealing in any significant way given the importance of the franchise.

As far as the Wii goes, I don't see any reason why it's an important week for it. There was no significant software for it, and sales were basically the same as last week as expected... An important week for the Wii will be the next one when Monster Hunter G comes out (and even then not a terribly important one since it's just a port of an old game).

What this week shows is that there's a group of Sony fans on this site who get easily excited about a one-time sales spike.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Of course not! How could one region have such an effect simply because of one release? I'd bet my money on the price cut, and maybe a few games.

rocketpig said:
txrattlesnake said:
It's not over yet. Especially not if the success of Yakuza 3 gets Sega to work on a certain 3 part of a franchise that fans have been hungering for since 2002 coming exclusively to the PS3 and on top of that Kojima gets to work on bringing a bigger gun than either MGS or ZOE to the PS3 in the form of the third game in the Snatcher / Policenauts series, and the success of the FF games gets Square to bring KH3 to the PS3 too. This race isn't over by a longshot if those things happen. And the longer it goes, the better it gets for the PS3.

Yes, one week changes the Wii's status in Japan. It outsold the PS3 nearly every week for roughly 125 weeks but this is the turning point.

Come on, people... Accept reality. Move on with your lives. This doesn't matter.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii®1=Japan&cons2=PS3®2=Japan&cons3=X360®3=Japan&weeks=156&weekly=1

You may see a trend, I see a blip left out by Nintendo's weak offerings for the past year. It's amazing they've ridden this high for so long. Besides, these months don't matter. Wait until Nintendo releases "Wii "Get On Your Ass and Dance with One Button" next August and see how sales spike right back up.

Actually it hasn't been one week.  The PS3 has outsold the Wii the last eight weeks in a row.  Of course, it seems like none of you folks are ever willing to give the PS3 credit for anything.  So go on believing the Wii sells a couple of million each week in Japan, it's no skin off my teeth. 

Around the Network
txrattlesnake said:
rocketpig said:
txrattlesnake said:
It's not over yet. Especially not if the success of Yakuza 3 gets Sega to work on a certain 3 part of a franchise that fans have been hungering for since 2002 coming exclusively to the PS3 and on top of that Kojima gets to work on bringing a bigger gun than either MGS or ZOE to the PS3 in the form of the third game in the Snatcher / Policenauts series, and the success of the FF games gets Square to bring KH3 to the PS3 too. This race isn't over by a longshot if those things happen. And the longer it goes, the better it gets for the PS3.

Yes, one week changes the Wii's status in Japan. It outsold the PS3 nearly every week for roughly 125 weeks but this is the turning point.

Come on, people... Accept reality. Move on with your lives. This doesn't matter.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii®1=Japan&cons2=PS3®2=Japan&cons3=X360®3=Japan&weeks=156&weekly=1

You may see a trend, I see a blip left out by Nintendo's weak offerings for the past year. It's amazing they've ridden this high for so long. Besides, these months don't matter. Wait until Nintendo releases "Wii "Get On Your Ass and Dance with One Button" next August and see how sales spike right back up.

Actually it hasn't been one week.  The PS3 has outsold the Wii the last eight weeks in a row.  Of course, it seems like none of you folks are ever willing to give the PS3 credit for anything.  So go on believing the Wii sells a couple of million each week in Japan, it's no skin off my teeth

You have skin on your teeth?

eeeeeewwww......

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

txrattlesnake said:
rocketpig said:
txrattlesnake said:

Actually it hasn't been one week.  The PS3 has outsold the Wii the last eight weeks in a row.  Of course, it seems like none of you folks are ever willing to give the PS3 credit for anything.  So go on believing the Wii sells a couple of million each week in Japan, it's no skin off my teeth. 

And no anticipation for Sony's releases were in the favor... Nor were the Wii's completely lackluster offerings for the past half year a factor.

One console has massively spiked upward. The other has dwindled to abysmal levels in a short period. Keep in mind, we're in the worst period of the year. This is as bad as it gets. Like I said, wait until Nintendo releases "Spin on Your Head with a Classic Controller in Your Mouth" Wii Edition in August to see if anything has really changed. Until then, good for Sony. They're riding a high but have Caradhras to climb and then Moria to traverse before they know if there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
txrattlesnake said:
rocketpig said:
txrattlesnake said:

And no anticipation for Sony's releases were in the favor... Nor were the Wii's completely lackluster offerings for the past half year a factor.

One console has massively spiked upward. The other has dwindled to abysmal levels in a short period. Keep in mind, we're in the worst period of the year. This is as bad as it gets. Like I said, wait until Nintendo releases "Spin on Your Head with a Classic Controller in Your Mouth" Wii Edition in August to see if anything has really changed. Until then, good for Sony. They're riding a high but have Caradhras to climb and then Moria to traverse before they know if there's light at the end of the tunnel.

...And then they have to fight the Balrog; and Gandalf's on another system...

Yeah, this is temporary, but as you've said hats off to Sony, at least it's a step in the right direction

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Actually, I think Gandalf dropped off the bridge because Microsoft bought him out.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
Actually, I think Gandalf dropped off the bridge because Microsoft bought him out.

Oh classic!

ROFL!

Proud Sony Rear Admiral