By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was this the week that changed the tide of the console war?

NJ5 said:
Reasonable said:
Probably not. But it is an interesting week, and certainly an important one for PS3 in Japan. And arguably for Wii too, although for different reasons.

I disagree that it's an important week for either platform...

All this shows is that there's a hardcore group of Japanese Final Fantasy lovers who are looking forward to FF13, and willing to buy a demo and a Final Fantasy special edition console. This is not surprising or revealing in any significant way given the importance of the franchise.

As far as the Wii goes, I don't see any reason why it's an important week for it. There was no significant software for it, and sales were basically the same as last week as expected... An important week for the Wii will be the next one when Monster Hunter G comes out (and even then not a terribly important one since it's just a port of an old game).

What this week shows is that there's a group of Sony fans on this site who get easily excited about a one-time sales spike.

I disagree back

I said interesting as in overall interesting as some uncommong events took place. I think it's important for PS3 though as it should convince SE that FFXIII will go gangbusters in Japan. I know as you state this is seen as a given but with 360 spikes due to jRPG and many Japanese developers looking seriously interested in the platform this is just the kind of clear message PS3 needs that it is locally probably the best HD platform for jRPG and Japanese centric titles. I see that as important personally. EDIT: when I say personally I don't mean preference. I don't actually play jRPG titles really. I just mean in terms of something of note in local market conditions.

I don't see why MS wouldn't continue to work behind the scenes to get FFXIII on 360 too, for example (SE are clearly open to changing their tack if convinced) and this should make it a lot easier for Sony to convince them not to confuse local consumers by doing so.

As for Wii it's not massivly important but I think seeing the PS3 that high on a demo (even one for a key title) vs Wii weekly sales in a quiet period is a clear signal to Nintendo (not that I think they need it) that the Wii is not invulnerable (the way the PS2 ended up) and that they need to be very careful in their home market. The Wii remains much more dependant on Nintendo titles for success than the PS2, IMHO, and if it is going to see long gaps without titles to keep the average weekly sales up then Sony is being handed a clear opening to fight back via a steady stream of 1st/3rd party titles.

However when I said interesting and important I didn't mean Earth shattering, as in release of an actual major title important. But certainly more interesting and important than a week of average sales and a steady state environment.

Also, who said I'm excited? I'm not, I just think its a small spike but one that (after a sustained dip in Wii sales in Japan, and a somewhat sustained PS3 upswing) marks out that nothing is clear cut in the region currently, vs how things looked not too long ago - also it was a thread I fancied responding to.

You'll notice my overall response to the OT was 'probably not'.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
Reasonable said:
NJ5 said:
Reasonable said:
Probably not. But it is an interesting week, and certainly an important one for PS3 in Japan. And arguably for Wii too, although for different reasons.

All this shows is that there's a hardcore group of Japanese Final Fantasy lovers who are looking forward to FF13, and willing to buy a demo and a Final Fantasy special edition console. This is not surprising or revealing in any significant way given the importance of the franchise.

As far as the Wii goes, I don't see any reason why it's an important week for it. There was no significant software for it, and sales were basically the same as last week as expected... An important week for the Wii will be the next one when Monster Hunter G comes out (and even then not a terribly important one since it's just a port of an old game).

What this week shows is that there's a group of Sony fans on this site who get easily excited about a one-time sales spike.

I disagree back

I said interesting as in overall interesting as some uncommong events took place. I think it's important for PS3 though as it should convince SE that FFXIII will go gangbusters in Japan. I know as you state this is seen as a given but with 360 spikes due to jRPG and many Japanese developers looking seriously interested in the platform this is just the kind of clear message PS3 needs that it is locally probably the best HD platform for jRPG and Japanese centric titles. I see that as important personally. EDIT: when I say personally I don't mean preference. I don't actually play jRPG titles really. I just mean in terms of something of note in local market conditions.

I don't see why MS wouldn't continue to work behind the scenes to get FFXIII on 360 too, for example (SE are clearly open to changing their tack if convinced) and this should make it a lot easier for Sony to convince them not to confuse local consumers by doing so.

As for Wii it's not massivly important but I think seeing the PS3 that high on a demo (even one for a key title) vs Wii weekly sales in a quiet period is a clear signal to Nintendo (not that I think they need it) that the Wii is not invulnerable (the way the PS2 ended up) and that they need to be very careful in their home market. The Wii remains much more dependant on Nintendo titles for success than the PS2, IMHO, and if it is going to see long gaps without titles to keep the average weekly sales up then Sony is being handed a clear opening to fight back via a steady stream of 1st/3rd party titles.

However when I said interesting and important I didn't mean Earth shattering, as in release of an actual major title important. But certainly more interesting and important than a week of average sales and a steady state environment.

Also, who said I'm excited? I'm not, I just think its a small spike but one that (after a sustained dip in Wii sales in Japan, and a somewhat sustained PS3 upswing) marks out that nothing is clear cut in the region currently, vs how things looked not too long ago - also it was a thread I fancied responding to.

First off, kudos to using the word "tack". Not enough people use that word.

Second off, I agree. While this is a shift, it's not a significant shift and Nintendo, like their usual selves, announce things on their own schedule. Expect at least one or two blockbusters from Big N before the year is out. After their last year and a half, their classic studios have to be doing something.

Overall, great post, as always. You never fail to live up to your screename.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Well, can anyone show one week in the Playstation 2's lifespan post Christmas 2001 (its one year anniversary) and before the release of 360, Wii, and PS3 where it ever hit an eight week stretch like the Wii has had recently in Japan?

Can anyone show a period of eight weeks when the DS fell that far down?

Reasonable said:
NJ5 said:
Reasonable said:

I disagree back

Again, the PS3 is not high due to the demo alone. The 160GB FF7 special edition sold 40k according to y-koron (if I understood the data correctly), so that's the biggest factor behind the hardware boost.

I didn't say you were excited. It just seems that a group of PS3 fans got too excited, to the point of thinking that this week is a turning point... when in fact it's just a sales spike which isn't unprecedented, especially when special hardware editions come out.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Reasonable said:
NJ5 said:
Reasonable said:

I disagree back

Again, the PS3 is not high due to the demo alone. The 160GB FF7 special edition sold 40k according to y-koron (if I understood the data correctly), so that's the biggest factor behind the hardware boost.

I didn't say you were excited. It just seems that a group of PS3 fans got too excited, to the point of thinking that this week is a turning point... when in fact it's just a sales spike which isn't unprecedented, especially when special hardware editions come out.

Actually I did forget the FF7 special edition when I posted - good point. Sorry, I thought you meant me. I agree there's going to be some high as kite PS3 fanboys floating around right now.

To be honest the steady low sales of the Wii seem more of note than the expected PS3 spike, which is what I was trying to get at too. I'm not at all in the Wii doomed camp. But I have been surprised the average weekly sales have dipped to current levels. Still, it's hard to believe Nintendo won't get it back up again. With the current USA/Others sales overall they're still smiling anyway I guess.

On the special edition - I sometimes wonder why in Japan all the companies don't have special edition paint jobs coming out regular as clockwork. They always seem to sell well and for Sony/Nintendo there's a pretty long list of IP they could use as bait (not that Nintendo seems to use this approach).

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
Reasonable said:

Actually I did forget the FF7 special edition when I posted - good point. Sorry, I thought you meant me. I agree there's going to be some high as kite PS3 fanboys floating around right now.

To be honest the steady low sales of the Wii seem more of note than the expected PS3 spike, which is what I was trying to get at too. I'm not at all in the Wii doomed camp. But I have been surprised the average weekly sales have dipped to current levels. Still, it's hard to believe Nintendo won't get it back up again. With the current USA/Others sales overall they're still smiling anyway I guess.

On the special edition - I sometimes wonder why in Japan all the companies don't have special edition paint jobs coming out regular as clockwork. They always seem to sell well for Sony/Nintendo there's a pretty long list of IP you could use as bait (not that Nintendo seems to use this approach).

I definitely agree that the Wii's slowdown is important. The way I interpret it is the existing Wii software is losing its effect, and new software must be released before the console can improve (still it's not a given that it will improve to the previous levels of 50k+ per week for a long time).

On the special editions, as far as I can remember Sony has done them for Yakuza, Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil. Only the biggest franchises seem to get one.

Just using your numbers posted there, Megaman, the answer clearly is no. Even with the surge in PS3 sales and no data from the Americas yet, the Wii still outsells both HD systems. Add that in with the large gap between the Wii and each HD system in the Americas (usually close to double), then its really business as usual.

What will be interesting is how many new PS3 units get sold when FF13 actually launches. The demo/dvd bundle seems to have gotten the rest of the FF fanbase out to get a PS3. Will there be anyone left without a PS3 who would buy one for FF13 that didn't get one for the demo & dvd?

NJ5 said:
Reasonable said:

On the special edition - I sometimes wonder why in Japan all the companies don't have special edition paint jobs coming out regular as clockwork. They always seem to sell well for Sony/Nintendo there's a pretty long list of IP you could use as bait (not that Nintendo seems to use this approach).

I definitely agree that the Wii's slowdown is important. The way I interpret it is the existing Wii software is losing its effect, and new software must be released before the console can improve (still it's not a given that it will improve to the previous levels of 50k+ per week for a long time).

On the special editions, as far as I can remember Sony has done them for Yakuza, Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil. Only the biggest franchises seem to get one.

Nintendo is the Japanese Apple. Someday, everyone will acknowledge and accept this.

No special editions. At least not until they're desperate. Then we get Orange and everyone loses.

bardicverse said:
Just using your numbers posted there, Megaman, the answer clearly is no. Even with the surge in PS3 sales and no data from the Americas yet, the Wii still outsells both HD systems. Add that in with the large gap between the Wii and each HD system in the Americas (usually close to double), then its really business as usual.

What will be interesting is how many new PS3 units get sold when FF13 actually launches. The demo/dvd bundle seems to have gotten the rest of the FF fanbase out to get a PS3. Will there be anyone left without a PS3 who would buy one for FF13 that didn't get one for the demo & dvd?

When MGS4 came out, PS3 sales improved from 10k to 78k in its launch week (and then decreased to 23k):

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Japan&cons2=Wii&reg2=Japan&cons3=PS3&reg3=Japan&start=39509&end=39922

This tells me that there will still be a boost when FF13 comes out, though probably not as big as MGS4 since FF fans have had a longer time to buy a PS3, plus this FF7 bundle. But of course, Sony could release another FF special edition console when FF13 comes out, giving it yet another boost.

NJ5 said:
bardicverse said:

When MGS4 came out, PS3 sales improved from 10k to 78k in its launch week (and then decreased to 23k):

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Japan&cons2=Wii&reg2=Japan&cons3=PS3&reg3=Japan&start=39509&end=39922

This tells me that there will still be a boost when FF13 comes out, though probably not as big as MGS4 since FF fans have had a longer time to buy a PS3, plus this FF7 bundle. But of course, Sony could release another FF special edition console when FF13 comes out, giving it yet another boost.

Yes, there will be a MASSIVE boost in Ps3 sales when FFXIII releases, the same way there was a massive boost in NA when the H3 beta released with Crackdown vs. the H3 release itself.

Jesus, this is like explaining calculus to retarded children.