By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create Charts: Wii under 30k in Japan as every system takes a beating

kber81 said:
Viper1 said:
Stock piling and diverted stocks to US. Why is this not so obvious to those of you prophesizing doom? Oh that's right, because you put blinders on and enjoy spreading FUD when the truth is ready to trout slap the blinders off your head.

School started.
Holiday over.
Annual slow period.
Diverted stock to US.
Stockpiling for global holidays.

Go ahead, pick your blinders up off the ground and put them back on, we all know you're going to anyway.

Bullshit. You suggest that people didn't pick consoles up because there wasn't enough units. It's a nonsense. According to y-koron Wii is pretty easy to buy in Japan right now. No doom - just slowdown - an effect of few reasons you've listed above this crap about US and Stockpiling... Do you really believe that Nintendo would move so much units off the shelves? They stockpiling maybe 20k a week. Not 70k. It's insane. You will accept everything but slowdown. All market in Japan is losing steam right now... Wii isn't an exception.

What did I just say? I gave you 3....count them 1, 2, 3 reasons for actual physical slowdown on top of diverted units and stockpiling.

If you look at actual global sales, you'll see that US stocks are up a little. It's also well known that every electronics company on the planet stock piles for the holidays.

75k average sales in Japan. A drop of 45k, not 70k like you claimed being the weekly differential. 20k units diverted to the US and 25k being stockpiled.....that's 45k right there.

So now I've mathmetically shown you how the drop can be attributed, I'm still accepting the drop to come from the other 3 options I gave. So I'm willing to accept it's slowed down due to the circumstances I gave. Are you willing to accept the circumstances I just presented or do you want to continue to look for anything and everything you can to negatively direct towards Wii?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

PSP is going to sell above 77,777 consoles this week (along with over 350,000 copies of Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII) if IGN is to be beleived

add me

Viper1 said:
Stock piling and diverted stocks to US. Why is this not so obvious to those of you prophesizing doom? Oh that's right, because you put blinders on and enjoy spreading FUD when the truth is ready to trout slap the blinders off your head.

School started.
Holiday over.
Annual slow period.
Diverted stock to US.

The first 3 are tru but the last 2 aren't.

Wii can be found easily in Japan now so the whole low sales = stockpiling for US / holidays theory is null.

Truth is Wii doesn't have the momentum it once used to have.  Until quality titles come out expect these kind of numbers.

crappy old school NES games are more entertaining than next-gen games.

ihira said:
Viper1 said:

School started.
Holiday over.
Annual slow period.
Diverted stock to US.

Wii can be found easily in Japan now so the whole low sales = stockpiling for US / holidays theory is null.

Truth is Wii doesn't have the momentum it once used to have. Until quality titles come out expect these kind of numbers.

OK, I'm going to make this real clear because it's something that needs to be learned by anyone that follows this industry.   ALL electronics companies stock pile product for the holidays.  These get pulled from various regions based on regional product sales trends.

Consider this.  Would it look better to investors, stock holders, media and consumers if they sold the same amount of units in December as they did in May or woudl it look better for those involved if they allocated extra units for December?

Sony is doing it, MS is doing it, every other electronics manufacturer on the planet is doing it.  It's the nature of the electronics industry. 

Do we understand this now?

Now, take a look at weekly global sales.   Notice how Japan went down and US went up.   Given that Nintendo has stated they haven't been able to boost production output yet, where do you think the US got those extra consoles from?  Why not divert them from the region with a known and expected sales slowdown?  You think they don't plan this sort of stuff in advance?

The Wiis are in stock in Japan all over. But what you don't know won't hurt you.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network
routsounmanman said:
DS is under 80k and you're talking about the Wii?
I think one of the reasons for such low numbers is the elections in Japan and the opening of schools; finally anticipation of PSP new model and lack of titles overall.

Guys, demand is down *across the board*. Which means its a general demand issue, and not a "had enough of one console" issue.

The Japanese PM quitting may have a lot to do with this - the country is in a little political turmoil, and kids are back to school.

EDIT: also, have a look at the early DS charts. It regularly sold in the 15k-20k region early in its life before it went through the roof. The Wii is doing a much better job early in its life so far.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I would also say the reason for the slow sales was because of school, probably!

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

ihira said:
Viper1 said:

School started.
Holiday over.
Annual slow period.
Diverted stock to US.

Truth is Wii doesn't have the momentum it once used to have. Until quality titles come out expect these kind of numbers.

Actually, being that the sales are low means they really can divert to US/stockpile.  If they were sending 75k a week and it was all selling out, now that there's still 45k available they'd only have to refill the 30k and the 45k can be stockpiled for holidays.  Additionally, since there's a fair amount in reserve in case of a surge of sales, shipments to Japan don't need to be as large, meaning some of the Wiis coming off the production line can be diverted elsewhere.

It's more that diverting/stockpiling is an effect of the low sales than a cause.

Wow are you guys just delusional or in denial that the WII CAN BE EASILY FOUND IN JAPAN NOW. There is no shortage of Wiis in Japan!

The low sales is an effect of annual season = back to school.

crappy old school NES games are more entertaining than next-gen games.

Ihira, let me ask you something. Did you once see me state that I believe their is a shortage? Hmmmm? Did I once say that is couldn't be easily found in Japan? Or is that something you assumed simply because I'm not posting about the low sales like a Sony fanboy? Might intrigue you to know I'm an EIC of, guess what, a Sony site.