By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP-Highest selling hardware in Japan starting next week?

leo-j said:
@Hus

As I stated before Im tired currently so just in case I post some stupidly childish things you know why. Also Then what was S-E thinking for releasing 77,777 psp's? They should have made 777,777 psp's.

cause its just for fun, a "Limitied" edition bundle.

You want a big psp bundle wait till GT is released.

Around the Network

Sony fan vs. Sony fan.
Round 1: Fight!

^ i lol'd. just wait for first day sales.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
^ i lol'd. just wait for first day sales.

y-koron should have us covered tomorrow.

I think first day sales could be spectacular ... like over 300k.

Edit: I mean for FFVII:CC.

DS vs PSP next week in Japan! Be there or be square! I think I may have to do a GIF for that battle. 

There is a good chance that it'll sell the most hardware.  I just hope they translate it fast...

Around the Network
DarkNight_DS said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Ok, that's for appeal, I doubt it could beat the DS. But it will definitely get large software and hardware boosts. I'm going to get the closest look at the upcoming Japanese market that an American can.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=sv_vg_2/250-2790500-4832266

10 of the top 20 items are for the PSP, although several of the items are the PSP itself. This can be compared to:

3 DS items

5 PS2 items

1 Xbox item

1 Xbox 360 item

Of course, one could claim that Amazon.com is hardly a judge of the current gaming market. This is mostly true, however...

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=sv_vg_2/250-2790500-4832266

According to Alexa.com, Amazon.jp is the 13th highest ranked website in Japan. This can be compared to Amazon.com being the 11th highest ranked site in the U.S. So, one could argue that it's no more accurate than Amazon.com is for the U.S.

However...

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=amazon.co.jp

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=amazon.com

According to the site, 86.7% of the site's traffic comes from Japan. Only 42.6% of Amazon.com's traffic is from the U.S., however.

Now that that's all out of the way, we can safely say that the PSP will have a strong showing next week. Crisis Core is at #2 on Amazon.jp, and will be released next week. I haven't figured out what the title at the top is (looks strange), but I can safely say it will do well.

Thoughts?

WOAHHHH... Just so you know... Japan is very much a country that likes to go to the store to buy things. They don't like to buy things online... They aren't even that big on online games.

Therefore you can NOT use their online sales as a way to figure out how well something is selling. The PSP could very well be the #2 console for the week or 2... but that's as long as it will last. Most people will pirate the game it seems (going by past PSP sales).

And you would know.....because you're from Japan? Doesn't look like it.

Yes, there will be a nice spike in Hardware sales. But enough to knock the DS off the top of the list? I don't think so.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

I dont think that it will knock the DS out for this week either , but we will see soem good weeks untill its drops back to Wii range , trust me :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I can see the PSP jumping past the DS for a week or two. This is a FF7 spin-off in Japan after all, and PSP games seem to have pretty explosive releases around there.

Anyone think this is going to have a lasting effect on sales in the region?

Software-wise my bet is with Pokemon 2; hardware-wise PSP>DS although not by a large margin.