By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Healthcare isn't a business, it's peoples lives

tombi123 said:

Public = state/comprehensive?

That is correct.

Around the Network

Seriously though... I see people suggesting healthcare should be socialized because it's peoples lives.

Why isn't food then? Or Water... or numerous other things more important to living?

I mean based on one poster's expierence the average poor person in the UK lives like a homeless man with free health insurance.

I'd definitly much rather be poor in the US then UK.

36 Costa Rica 37 United States of America What idiotic made up bullshit list is this? I think I'd take the US health care system over Costa Rica's or any other country on that list.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

good list, good thread, NHS FTW!

check out the logo in my sig!

tombi123 said:

Why is your taxes going towards paying for socialized healthcare system violating your rights any more than your taxes going towards paying for socialized education? Or do you only have private schools in the USA?

We have public schools in the US, but they have only been paid for with federal tax dollars since 1953.

The schools in 1952, were far better then they are today. Socializing them has been a great injustice to every child in the US.

Please don't use how our education system has worked, as an example of how you would like our healthcare system to work.

Around the Network

If healthcare were more like a business, then it would certainly save a TON more lives than it does in its current state.

Tyrannical said:
36 Costa Rica 37 United States of America What idiotic made up bullshit list is this? I think I'd take the US health care system over Costa Rica's or any other country on that list.

Hehe.  The idiots who made up this list were the World Health Organisation, who might perhaps know a little more and be slightly more objective than you when it comes to accessing standard of health care.

This scale is actually only based on the performance of the health system, the US actually fairs significantly worse on the level of health, ranking in at 72.  The only area where the US is close to the top of the list is health expenditure per capita.

The facts tell us that there are many countries in the world where the health systems are better and the people enjoy a better standard of health than the US.  You have a right to personal preference and your opinion, but you also have the right to be wrong.  If your choice of the US health system is based on the assumption that it is better by any objective assessment, then your choice is ill informed.

Here is an article addressing this issue, if you care to read it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/opinion/12sun1.html

we simply need a triage mentality from a public health perspective. If someone has TB we need that shit treated. We don't want the XRD (or whatever its called) TB spreading in the United States - Then a great number (hard working or not) will lose all segments of their life.

Broncos724 said:
If healthcare were more like a business, then it would certainly save a TON more lives than it does in its current state.

I agree. It reminds me of Kaiser - How do you keep customers with joint problems coming back? Pain Killers! Surgery is pretty much off the table.

On a serious note: HMOS actually do some really good stuff. They are really into preventive health because they don't want some sick fool cutting out of their profit, understandably. This sort of model is encouraging but it also leaves a lot to be desired once someone's sick-not to mention emergencies where a Kaiser isn't available. Nonetheless I like the preventative model.

Kasz216 said:

Why isn't food socialized then?

Food is much more important then healthcare for living.

The key factor is the nature of healthcare compared to food.  Healthcare is an "emergency" service like police protection, fire protection, natural disaster protection, national defense protection, etc.  You shouldn't have to be making decisions about how much something costs when your life is in danger.  Food doesn't really fit into that category.  Sure, it is necessary, but its not something that the government is even in a good position to provide or that presents a compelling reason why the government should provide it compared to the private sector.

Now the flip-side of that obviously is that the government at some point will decide when something is unnecessary and that they aren't willing to pay for it.  This isn't exactly a new phenomenon as insurance companies do this on a daily basis, and it can be particularly harsh if your insurance coverage is low, it is below your deductible, etc.

So the real question is, do you trust insurance companies more or the government.  Fuck insurance companies, I'll take my chances with the government.  They've already demonstrated that they have no concern whatsoever for their policy holders.

Not to mention you won't see private care disappear altogether (kind of like private schools).  If you don't like what the government provides, you won't have to use it.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson