By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - SQUARE ENIX - SHMUPS

Gnac said:
starcraft said:
I feel like a pathetic excuse for a hardcore gamer, but what's a SHMUP?

SHoot-eM-UP. Usually vertically scrolling with a top-down perspective or side-scrolling with a side-on view, though there are forays into isometric and 3D. Most involve skillful dodging of beautifully mathematical sprays of glowing bullets.

Some of the most famous include Gradius, Raiden and Xevious. I personally have a soft spot for Battle Garegga and ViewPoint.

Ahh k thanks.  I really enjoy one called Heli-Attack 3 on the internet.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

First one looks great, second one reminds me to much of Everyday Shooter mixed with Geometry Wars fit into areas that are just way to compact.

Still wtf, why isnt the PSN getting these? Is Square Enix that freaking retarded that they ignore 20+ million PSN users?

Make Project Cube playable on both the PSP and PS3 so that they could hit a broader audience.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Hmmm, nice. 0 day Attack on Earth looks like Armada on the Dreamcast.

Project Cube looks totally silly though. You know why it's a XBLA title (I'm not saying there are no quality games).

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

First one looks AWESOME!

Bring it to America.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

ssj12 said:
First one looks great, second one reminds me to much of Everyday Shooter mixed with Geometry Wars fit into areas that are just way to compact.

Still wtf, why isnt the PSN getting these? Is Square Enix that freaking retarded that they ignore 20+ million PSN users?

Make Project Cube playable on both the PSP and PS3 so that they could hit a broader audience.

Maybe Wada is still in that "westernization" mindset, which would make sense to go with XBLA only? Then again, the games might not even come out in other areas, considering the love of SHMUPs in Japan. There's Deathsmiles, Ketsui and these two from Square. I really do wish they all come to the US, as I love the genre (even though I might not be too good at them).

Around the Network
MasterVG71782 said:
ssj12 said:

Maybe Wada is still in that "westernization" mindset, which would make sense to go with XBLA only? Then again, the games might not even come out in other areas, considering the love of SHMUPs in Japan. There's Deathsmiles, Ketsui and these two from Square. I really do wish they all come to the US, as I love the genre (even though I might not be too good at them).

They probably will, though. I don't think there's been a single Japan-only XBLA game to date. DeathSmiles and Ketsui, on the other hand, are retail games.

I can totally sympathize with loving shmups in spite of sucking at them.

Einhander was one of the best PS1 games.... I wish they would have made a sequel for it. I can't say I'm interested in these games. The first game uses map images for backgrounds which look like they'd be awesome if destructible but in the vid it looked like the backgrounds were all static. The enemies look great..... until they shoot something.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

^ Hmmm... You do remember how Einhänder ends, right? o_O

But yeah, it was an excellent game. I was surprised when I found out that Squaresoft made the game! It's incredible how they had the talent to make other games than just RPGs!

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

these games dont look too interesting. but that is just my perspective.

Egh, not my type of SHMUP.

Side scrollers ftw.