By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WRPGs or JRPGs and why?

Mostly JRPG's because I find the combat more interesting and challenging and if you squint a bit you can pretend it's David Bowie decapitating monsters with a gigantic sword

Around the Network

JRPGs.
FF, Chrono, Pokemon, Paper Mario/Super Mario RPG, Persona, Valkyria Chronicles.

I haven't enjoyed a WRPG nearly as much as any of those. The only thing that comes close is Mass Effect.

WRPGs for me

I love the genre in general but i would go for JRPG. I like the turn based combat style and JRPG's seem to me a bit more original when it comes to enemies, magic and characters.
And i feel JPRG's are more story driven, sacrificing the freedom that WRPG's seem to go for. Although the freedom you get in a lot of WRPG's like Fallout 3, Oblivion and Mass Effect is cool. I personally like it a bit more to follow a story than to wonder around for hours with no real goal.

Collecting free bitcoin @ https://freebitco.in/?r=5970871

shio said:
chris1_16 said:
shio said:
chris1_16 said:
Oniichan said:
chris1_16 said:
Oniichan said:
JRPGs for me are above WRPG. I just love the way JRPGs can pull you emotionally into the story to the point of shedding a tear. No WRPG has done that for me. Stories and character development are just done better in JRPGs (thoough there are a few gems in WRPGs).

The 1 thing i do like about WRPGs is that it gives you options (good or bad) and multiple endings.

*gasp*

Have you played Fallout 3?

Yes i have. Played it through 3 times (good, bad and neutral). Never once made me feel emotional.

Eh, fair enough. To let it strike you emotinally is to think about it in a certain way. That's what I did

Huh?! Fallout is supposed to be a satire with funny, not sad...

What? It's not supposed to be funny in anyway

... you know that the mindset in the fallout series is a satire to the paranoia of the 50's people, right? One of the reasons why the series presented the aesthetics of the technology in the game as clearly based in the tech available in the 50's, and the art, and the buildings, etc... was to enhance that part and make the point more evident, even though the timeline continues into the 20XX's.

The writing in Fallout 3 is poor, so one might miss the point and there's no memorable dialogues, but if you had played the previous Fallout 1 & 2, you'd know what I'm talking about.

Doesn't exactly mean it's supposed to be funny. Although I will admit there is some ironic humor in the game

Favorite films. Foreign films forever!

Around the Network

JRPGs by a long shot for me.
WRPGs tend to have a lot of freedom but as a result crucial things like story and character development suffer as devs are limited by the fact that they have to give the player complete freedom. However I will say that the best WRPGs (KOTOR,Jade Empire, Mass Effect, mainly Bioware games) can go head-to-head with some of the best JRPGs

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

JRPG... not a fan of WRPG...
i just recently played Oblivion(a good game)
but nothing beats my "Tales of" games and FF's

this gen, most WRPG were certainly acknowledge but still JRPG is the BEST

PLAYSTATION®2 is the yesterday.....NOW.......still......A_L_I_V_E

Consoles own:

Nintendo: Famicom(japanese NES, Family Computer), GBC, GBA, DS, Wii

Sony: PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3

Microsoft: future 360 owner

MyBrute

both..

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

JRPG for me. WRGP just never appealed to me for some reason.

WRPGs.  Pretty much every WRPG made with the Infinity Engine is better than just about every JRPG ever made.