By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Little King's Story thread of pure joy and awesome

Once upon a time, the man who created Harvest Moon and the man who thought up Chulip had a vision: they would create a Pikmin-style RTS game together, and make it look beautiful. But they would also make sure that the world they formed would be filled with unique individuals, each of whom would live his own life and have his own thoughts and opinions, much like the people in Harvest Moon. And most of all, they would give this beautiful living world its own charming sense of wonder and humor.

And so the two set forth to find the people who could help fulfill their vision. After many trials they focused on the developer Cing, who had previously made such works as Hotel Dusk and Trace Memory. And to give form to their dreams, they picked the men who had made Final Fantasy XII and the Mario RPG games. And to direct all these people towards the same goal, they chose the director of Dragon Quest VIII.

With their hand-picked band of visionaries, the creators rolled up their sleeves and set to work creating the most unique and fantastic game of 2009...

Genre: RTS/RPG hybrid

Release Dates:

Japan= September, 2009 (Published by Marvelous)

North America= July 21, 2009 (Published by X-SEED)

PAL= April 24, 2009 (Published by Rising Star Games)

Developer: CiNG

Platform: Wii

Boxart:

Gameplay details:

Little King's Story plays much like Pikmin, complete with having your character fling his followers at enemies and obstacles. For those unfamiliar with Pikmin, you directly control only a single character, but can recruit any follower you find with the press of a button. Each follower will have his own class, each of which has its own strengths, weaknesses, and unique abilities. Those followers will trail your character, and are necessary to do the many tasks your character can not, such as tearing down obstacles and fighting enemies. It's an RTS where the commander is in the field at all times.

Little King's Story takes this mechanic and adds a few changes. For starters, where each of your Pikmin was a generic minion who died in one solid blow, the Little King's followers are each individuals with their own names, routines, and families, and if you don't order them to follow you on your journey they'll happily live their lives in peace. They also each have hit points, but beware: once they're dead they're dead, and the village will mourn their loss (literally! You can even attend their funeral, complete with crying relatives!). And while the Pikmin were always loyal, even if you massacred thousands of them, the little king will find that his subjects will turn hostile if he gets too many villagers killed off...

Additionally, where Pikmin had 3 classes of followers, and Pikmin 2 had 5, Little King's Story reportedly has over 30 different classes for you to play with. In true RTS-style, most classes are unavailable until you consstruct their necessary building. Once you've chosen a class for your follower you can order them to change to a different one, assuming you have the money.

The game does not, unfortunately, use the IR pointer, nor does it use "waggle" in any way. You can play the game with a Classic Controller, if you want. It lasts for 20 hours, but can take as long as 80 hours if the player is determined to experience everything.

Story Details:

The story begins with the shy and friendless Corobo Bred exploring the forest near his tiny, remote village. While wandering aimlessly, he stumbles upon a mysterious crown. No sooner has he adorned it than Howser, the Bull Knight, bursts onto the scene. Howser informs the hitherto-lonely Corobo that he is now the King, and that he must lead his tiny nation to prosperity.

Corobo finds his task is made easier by his crown, which compels anyone he meets to do his bidding. But it's a dangerous world, filled with Unidentified Mysterious Animals ("Uma"), and turning the ramshackle collection of mud huts that he inherited into a true and proper kingdom will be no easy feat.

Nor will Corobo find any help from his neighbors: each of the seven other kingdoms in the land is hostile to the little king, and Corobo will find that the only way to live peacefully is to conquer each of his neighbors in war. But don't feel too bad: they always start it. Each of the other kingdoms has its own theme, king, and princess: depose the king, annex the kingdom, and gain the princess for your growing harem. (Yes, I'm being serious.)

Corobo Bred

The titular Little King. Having found the crown, he goes from being a lonely little boy to the destined king of the land.

King Doburohku

The always-drunk ruler of the Kingdom of the Jollies. His goal in life is to make the entire world happy all the time. It might be easier to do that if he ever dropped the bottle...

Princess Booke

The daughter of King Doburohku, she's the polar opposite of her father. She loves science and studying.

Liam

Your advisor through the tutorial and on. He handles most of the kingdom's affairs. While he's a big boy with a sassy attitude, he's also quite gentle at heart.

Verde

Another of your advisors, Verde handles all the administrative duties in your kingdom. Speaking with her is the only way to save your game.

Howser

The Bull Knight, Howser's the one who first proclaimed you king, and he serves as your military advisor throughout, pushing you to conquer the entire world, one country at a time.

Pancho

Howser's trusty steed. Harvest Moon veterans will instantly recognize him.

Onii

The cute face of evil. You'll find a tribe of these little Umas, as well as their ever-so-slightly larger ruler...Your mission? Wipe them off the face of the earth!

These are just some of the characters you'll encounter during the tale.

Uninterrupted gameplay footage (thanks vonboy!)
NGamerUK: 92
"Funny, exciting, intelligent, weird and rewarding. This is what happens when great minds dare to be different. [May 2009, p.42]"
Games Master UK: 91
Funny, charming and a real meaty challenge, there's nothing else like it on Wii. [May 2009, p.81]
SpazioGames: 85
Little King's Story may be considered one of the best games in spring 2009, as well as an example of how to make games that can give you emotions and be fun at the same time. Rising Star offers the gamers a great mixture of strategic, RPG and management elements, creating the perfect recipe for a natty and at times ironic adventure. Recommended for all Wii owners and, most of all, for Pikmin lovers, who will find in this game a similar gameplay.
EDGE Magazine: 90
Little King’s Story’s diminutive aesthetic and title are misleading (this is a Huge King’s Story) but lead to an equally fascinating trade-off, a game that begins gently before revealing its expansive scope, trenches of dark humour, and an irresistible joie de vivre.
Every moment feels like it’s been lavished with attention; Little King’s Story is as rich as it is long, and it’s a very lengthy game indeed. Its central mechanic is unique, its world unlike any other, and its completion a Herculean task. It’s a game of rare quality, and exactly what the Wii deserves. It’s a true original.
Meristation: 90
This is nothing more than a Little King's Story. An incredible game that takes everything that we've seen so far in the strategy genre and pushes it even further to become one of the greatest games on the Wii system. You just never get tired of finding new items, places - of expanding this weird and fantastic kingdom that's settled on a Nintendesque world. Lots of chances for us players to have fun in what's probably the longest adventure for this console.
GamesTM: 80
With both its addictive, rewarding gameplay and the wealth of imagination that's been poured into the presentation, it's incredibly difficult to stop playing Little King's Story. [May 2009, p.112]

Vandal Online: 94
This Cing masterpiece has become one of the best strategy games ever to have been released on a console, and one indispensable Wii title.
Telegraph: 90
An intelligent, charming and utterly addictive video game. But its crowning achievement is its unerring dedication to its own imagination. CiNG throw ideas at it from every angle and nearly every single one sticks. The result is a delightfully crafted adventure, that will pull you into its magnificent fantasy world and refuse to let go.
D-Pad: 100

Little King’s Story is a game of stunning breadth, imagination and slickly implemented design, and filled with an envious degree of heart and soul. There are flaws; for example the Wii remotes capabilities aren’t used at all, organising your Royal Guard can be fiddly and losing thirty minutes of play by dying before saving can become frustrating. However, the fact remains that in grabbing hold of the Little King’s coattails, you should prepare yourself for an adventure that is unique, memorable and thought-provoking; that it manages to retain a sense of intrigue and progression throughout its 30 hours plus play-time is a testament to its quality.

TelextGameCentral: 80
The consistently surprising offspring of Harvest Moon and Pikmin will make a royalist out of anyone.
EveryEye: 95
Little King's Story is, simply, a masterpiece. There is nothing that is not in place, there is no element of gameplay that is overlooked or misplaced.
Official Nintendo Magazine: 92
Beautiful character design; charming narratives; eccentric dialogue; huge, magical worlds to explore; polished, inventive and accessible gameplay; and a hefty challenge that belies a game's cute stylings. It's rare that a game ticks all those boxes in this day and age (especially one not made by Nintendo themselves), but we're happy to report that Little King's Story has come out of nowhere and blown our socks off. A real surprise package, there's a good chance that you won't play a finer videogame this year, first party or otherwise.

3D Juegos: 90
Cing crowns Wii users as kings in a game which gathers the best of Miyamoto's Pikmin. Both strategic expert gamers and non-strategic expert gamers will enjoy a life simulator based on the experiences of the Harvest Moon's creator. If you are a Wii owner, then you can't miss Little King's Story.

Eurogamer: 80
Repetitive? Yes. Dull? Yes, if you're the type of person who thinks all games are dull unless they feature 19 kinds of gun, monsters who look like they're made of genitals and a driving bit. If you prefer pretty, soothing, comforting gaming experiences, Little King's Story will hook you in like a lullaby sung by an angel who breathes morphine. The real world will slip gently away, and nothing will matter to you but hats and cows and lumberjacks, and not until someone comes in and says "It's Tuesday" will you realise anything else exists.
Revogamers: 95
It's impressive how the diverse elements come together in Little King's Story to create a game that's robust, elegant, fun, playable, and very, very addicting. A great experience for people of all ages and tastes.
IGN AU: 91
For a game that bears gameplay similarities to some proud forebears , Little King's Story is shockingly original in execution. There really isn't another RPG out there quite like it – and in an increasingly stale strategy-RPG market, this is a game that renews the category for us. It's compelling and complex, deep and rewarding, surprising and above all entertaining. There are few other games on the Wii that can really share that much praise in a single sentence, so that's an achievement unto itself. It does have drawbacks – for all the polish, Little King's Story still has occasional gameplay quirks and shortcomings. But my god man – this is fine gaming.
Nintendo Life: 90
Little King’s Story is a gem in the Wii’s catalogue; full of charm, style and addictive gameplay, it deserves to sell much more than New Play Control! Pikmin 2, coincidentally released on the same day. With a fantastic script and localisation, greater variety in the tasks involved and dozens of moments that will bring a beaming smile to your face, Little King’s Story outdoes Miyamoto’s garden game on every level. The King is dead – long live the King!
Cheat Code Central: 96
This lengthy, challenge, and utterly adorable title has great potential to bridge the gap between different audiences on the Wii. It's easily one of the best games on the system so far this year and one you absolutely won't want to miss.
GamePro: 90
An intriguing blend of real time strategy, life development and role playing action, Little King's Story proves itself as a fun-filled and wholly engaging experience for even the most jaded gamer, all wrapped up in a deceptively cute package.
IGN: 85
Little King’s Story misses the boat in a few key areas for me personally – the largest of which is the lack of IR pointing in a game specifically based around real-time strategy elements – but at the end of the day there’s no denying that this title has serious staying power, an immense amount of charm, and is downright fun despite its faults.
Gameplanet: 95
Little King’s Story is a little beauty; fans of Nintendo’s classic ‘cutesy’ titles such as Animal Crossing and Pikmin will truly love it. We may be finished with the reviewing side of things but are still playing Little King’s Story... which is probably the best endorsement we can give any game.
Game Informer: 80
I can't fault a game that offers such a fun, engaging, and lengthy adventure on the Wii. [July 2009, p.87]
Are you a fan? Show your love, and get yourself a Little King's Story avatar!
Current members:

Around the Network

This thread is full of awesome and win.

This thread RULES!

Can't wait. I really need that game.

What the! This releases in FOUR DAYS? Whoa!

You've almost single-handedly made me incredibly interested in this game Noname (well done), and I'm sure you've done the same thing to several other people on the site.

Awesome thread. I'll watch the rest of the videos in the OP now.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Good idea noname, just like with Rune Factory.

I will definatly consider getting this game in the future. It looks like a real unique gem.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Around the Network

this friday will be special day, i am just glad we are getting LKS early, beautiful game

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

Damn you, Europe!

Thanks everyone. And I have to say, I LOVE oyvoyvoyv's new avatar!

Onii is obviosuly chain chomp in desguise

this is the type of game i can persude my brother to buy and then play myself :D

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

so wiat us over here in the states still have to wait over two months.

HELL NO!!!!1

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.