By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Killzone 2 Sales Clarification? SCEA proves "Others" numbers are wrong

Guys, give gebx a break. Is it really worth this stupid page long argument?

Around the Network

The PR came on the same day when NPD results were out. So I think SONY meant 1 million worldwide by roughly Apr 15 or 16th.

Although it made no sense to downplay the sales numbers in an official press release, SONY might have accidentally done it. VGC number might be off too so the real number is probably somewhere between 1.1 and 1.4.

It is not too often that SONY tells people about the actual sale-to-customer numbers (the other one is when Kaz said LBP sold 1.3 million at GDC?) in their PR. But each time is funtime on VGC.

papflesje said:
gebx said:
papflesje said:
gebx said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
blackstar said:
SCEA stands for what?

Sony Computer Entertainment America

I honestly don't know what gebx has against the PS3 and Sony... Everytime he comes out of the 'woodwork' it is to post negative news about the PS3 and/or Sony... It is pretty sad really!

But am I wrong?

And Squall.. when was the last time you created a thread about positive 360 news? Same with all those complaining about my posts.. when have any of you created a thread about positive news on the 360.

Stop being hypocrites, go spam somewhere else.

I don't post news about any console, and react negatively to the things I dislike about Sony in the same way I react positively to the things I like about the 360. So you can stop calling me a hypocrite, thank you very much. Again: it's not whether you are right or wrong, just that you show your bias. Nothing wrong with posting news about a certain console, unless you merely do it to damage its perception. Because that's basically why you post it.

You're just arguing for the sake of arguing.. your repeating what I stated in my opening thread!! - "I'm a 360 fanboy, I know it, but that doesn't make these numbers and/or statements above wrong" I've declared from the get go.. I'm not hiding anything.

You say I'm damaging "it's perception"and your partially correct. The perception is that Killzone 2 did better than what it truly did. If you want to stay blind when sales numbers don't match than by all means stay out of this thread. The numbers looked off, I did research and posted my thoughts.

And I say this even after replying to WiiStaton360's mention of bundles. It could be the reason for the discrep and both SCEA and VGC could be right.

Okay, I'll bite =)

First off, there are plenty of 360 fans here that don't care about the PS3 or that even say "wow, that's a nice game" or "Wish that came to the 360" and things like that, and leave it at that.

I think we could fit you in the subcategory of the 360-fans (although not restricted to 360 fans), namely the anti-ps3 fan.
You seem to thrive whenever something bad occurs or potentially bad occurs for the ps3. I don't know what gain you get from doing so, but it seems to please you that a console is doing lousily. You have your reasons apparently, and I don't care whether they are justified or not, since you are entitled to your reasons.

Admitting that you are doing this (albeit partially) is commendable, but still doesn't change the fact that it's purely for damaging sakes. Killzone 2 is one of Sony's flagship titles, it got good reviews and apparently a lot of people are enjoying its online features. It didn't do GeoW numbers and many 360 fanboys have rubbed that in already. For the online, Halo 3 gets thrown into the mix. So Killzone 2 has gotten its fair share of bashing already. Add in the "ahahahaha, low first week sales, LOL" and Killzone 2 is probably the most mocked title of 2009 so far. Seeing your infatuation with everything lousy about the PS3, it would surprise me tremendously if you didn't know about the Killzone 2 bundles. But hey, as you wish, the answer of bundles offered you a way to get out of this thread relatively unscathed.

Go enjoy your xbox 360, ignore PS3 fanboys (as we try to do) and live and let live.

Heres, this is my thread about Killzone 2 and it sales.... http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=62699

Where I'm complementing it saying it did great, and I gave Kudos to Sony... Funny thing is that it got locked by a PS3 fanboy mod who wanted all the Killzone 2 threads in the one he created.

I say good things about the PS3, but their ignored and/or locked.

As for the KZ2 bundles.. I don't live in Europe, we have no Killzone 2 bundles here, and I'm flattered that you think nothing escapes me. I don't know if Sony's numbers include bundles and I have no way to prove it or disprove it. Am I suppose to ignore that? Your basically calling me close-minded, I show that I'm not, that I can admit that my OP is wrong and you use it against me... hehe... nice!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Jinova said:
Gebx, seriously, why do you even care???

Vgchartz.com is what this site was about.. nerds talking about videogame sales.

Now people question when you do... I miss the old days...

Let us not forget!

8: The PS3 Exclusives List:
The PS3 exclusives list is the holy grail of any Sony fanboy. It can put an end to any debate and is considered the ultimate of rebuttals. You have to realize there is no countering the sacred list.

What are you looking at, nerd?
Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
WiiStation360 said:

I would assume the ratio of Others/NA sales for KZ2 should be similar to other recent harcore games.

Lets compare the 1st 7 week sales America vs Others for recent PS3 hardcore games:

Resistance 2:
- America: 585k (53%)
- Others: 508k(47%)

CoD: WaW
- America: 1,290k (54%)
- Others: 1,100k (46%)

Resident Evil 5
- America: 628kk (47%)
- Others: 712kk (53%)

Gebx estimated for Killzone2
- America: 710k (65%)
- Others: 390k (35%)

There are 1.8M more PS3 consoles in Others than Americas, and they have a recent history of buying a similar number of copies of high profile hardcore games.  They also have a KZ2 hardware bundle as well.  Why would KZ2 numbers be half of American numbers?

Not to mention Killzone 2 was advertised far more heavily in Europe than in NA (they were painting the sides of buildings and showing trailers at movie theaters) and the original Killzone sold a good bit better in Europe than in NA.

they also had a halghast walking around Munic (?) on Valentines Day handing out flowers!!!!!!!!!!!

gebx said:
Jinova said:
Gebx, seriously, why do you even care???

Vgchartz.com is what this site was about.. nerds talking about videogame sales.

Now people question when you do... I miss the old days...

You forgot /sarcasm

Vg chartz, is not exact they estimate, killzone probably sold 1.4 million, but sony just said 1million to round it off.

makingmusic476 said:
gebx said:
Feylic said:
DMeisterJ said:
1.4 million is > 1 million last I recalled... I mean, it's been a while since high-school, but I do recall that.

Let me do some research and I'll get back to you on that one :d

I'll tell you why that is unlikely

if your Sony's PR guy.. would you tell the world that Killzone 2 sold 1 million or 1.4 million?

Also, why wouldn't Sony reveal that number sooner? Why wait so late to announce that it sold over 1 million copies?

How would Sony know that 1.4 million figure to brag about it?  They don't use VGChartz numbers, and they don't track sales-to-consumers themselves.  All they have to go on is NPD and the sprinkling of European charts out there.  They probably have a rough guestimation that the total sales-to-consumer are north of a million, and thus that's what the say.

But NPD was keeping them up to date on their sales, they even told them when KZ2 reached 500,000 sold http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/features/chart-toppers-killzone-2-hits-the-mark/?biz=1

rafichamp said:
Vg chartz, is not exact they estimate, killzone probably sold 1.4 million, but sony just said 1million to round it off.

The day Sony's/Microsoft/Nintendo/EVERY COMPANY IN THE WORLD's PR department ROUNDs DOWN will be the day pigs fly.