By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Yahoo: The 'Wii Crash' of 2009

Their claim is that the most successful video game system of all time, which has succeeded by doing things differently, is actually failing, and to succeed it needs to be more like the competition that it is crushing?

Around the Network

well this article sucks donkey balls (pretty muc like the whole rest of them with a few exceptions of course). Until i see 4 consecutive weeks of the Wii selling less than 200k a week i really don't see a point in bringing up these articles.

If i lose access to this profile as well....I'm done with this site.....You've been warned!!.....whoever you are...

Happy Wii60 user. Me and my family are a perfect example of where hardcore meets casual and together mutate into something awesome.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Their claim is that the most successful video game system of all time, which has succeeded by doing things differently, is actually failing, and to succeed it needs to be more like the competition that it is crushing?

It's amazing to hear what outselling your competition 2-1 will get you now-a-days.

dougsdad0629 said:
sponnyroad said:
Anyone else every notice the console(in each gen) with the least powerful system always sells the best?

Snes
Playstation
Playstation2
Wii

SNES was way more powerful than the Genesis.  I had a buddy who attended Digipen for game programming back in the day.  He had to drop out for health reasons, but he said he had to sign confidentiality agreements and all he could tell me was that there were some things the SNES could do that we never got to see.

But SNES was less powerful then the 3DO :D

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

SNES had better hardware (more powerful) than its chief rival the Genesis. Neither fully achieved overwhelming dominance and essentially split the market.

The PS1 had better hardware than its chief rival, the Saturn, which also had the distinction of being overpriced due to an overly complex architecture (dual CPUs).

Nintendo's main mistakes with the N64 was the insistence of keeping a cartridge based format to maintain full control over game production and prevent illegal copy distribution. Premium price or limited storage space, along with Nintendo's draconian publishing policies are what made 3rd party developers head to greener pastures with Sony.

Better hardware than the PS1, but limited storage space placed a compromise on games, regardless of processing ability.

PS2, being second to the 6th Gen after the Dreamcast, unquestionably had the most dated hardware by the time the generation was in full swing (by this point, the Dreamcast had already exited the market).

Nintendo again found itself with a reduced storage proprietary media format to reduce piracy and a continued loss of many third party projects despite its very capable hardware.

Xbox arguably had the best hardware, but being new to the console market (and late) never really stood a chance against the 3rd party publishing dominance Sony had already established.

Around the Network
MaxwellGT2000 said:
dougsdad0629 said:
sponnyroad said:
Anyone else every notice the console(in each gen) with the least powerful system always sells the best?

Snes
Playstation
Playstation2
Wii

SNES was way more powerful than the Genesis.  I had a buddy who attended Digipen for game programming back in the day.  He had to drop out for health reasons, but he said he had to sign confidentiality agreements and all he could tell me was that there were some things the SNES could do that we never got to see.

But SNES was less powerful then the 3DO :D

And that's why everyone and their grandmother spent, what was it, $700(?) for the awesomeness that was the 3DO.

The Neo Geo cost a ridiculous amount more as well made worse by the $200+ games, but that system was actually worth owning back then if you had the means.

It is confirmed: Yahoo SUCKS in videogames-related news

The big question is whether Wii Sports Resort will do the business or not.

There is a LOT hanging on it.

PSN - hanafuda

Next to no gamers go to Yahoo games for their video game news.

But hundreds of millions of general web users go there for their mainstream news.

It would be a lot easier to brush stories like this off if they weren't becoming more common and if Nintendo's stock performance hadn't been reflecting the company's current shortcomings in meeting investor expectations.

2:1 sales are what Nintendo fans are looking at.

Sustainable growth rates and future sales trends are what everyone else is looking at.

As a game company fan, the former may be all that matters (good games should matter most), but the reality is that the latter is all that really matters to investors.

hanafuda said:
The big question is whether Wii Sports Resort will do the business or not.

There is a LOT hanging on it.

Production meeting demand is my first concern.

Since they shouldn't have the same logistical and production problems that Wii Fit had on launch, they have to move considerably more units right out of the gates, "long legs" arguments aside.

Realistically, I'd like to see sales figures and attachment rates somewhere between Wii Fit and Wii Play.

It cannot be another Wii Music although it's safe to say next to no one is predicting that.