By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Damning Truth: The percentage of LTD sales sold in the first week

that's great work too, and it's normal to have the exceptions, after all there isn't a proved model that suits every game (and naturally there will never exist one). it's a generic estimative and people should not dismiss it or outright question the validity, nor take it as the truth for every game.

actually, if such a model existed we wouldn't be seeing EA and co. trying to figure out how the Wii works, but at the same time we still see a lot of fuss about GTA:CW and other games and the number of minigame compilations that came out after Carnival Games

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
Legend11 said:
Part of the problem with threads like this is that we have no idea how accurate the numbers are in the long run. For all we know most of games being counted as million sellers may not even be close to being million sellers. Once they drop out of the top 10 (or 40 in the UK) it's all guess work where even a few thousand over every week can result in huge differences in the hundreds of thousands over a year.

Isn't the point of VGC that we get more data than just the top 10?

Indeed, but the sw numbers in here, especially from Eu/Others, have proven to be quite a bit off in the past and can't be taken as solid or very credible. This is mainly due to the difficulty of sw tracking in Europe and parts of others and is not really Bret's fault. Ultimately, we must expect large margings of error from many regions of the world as far as software tracking is concerned until a good, reliable tracking system is available. I have myself, fruitlessly, tried to gather ltd software (and hardware) sales here in Norway as best as I could for a couple of years in hopes of adding something to the site and its accuracy. The only thing I can get a hold of are revenue charts from publishers and retail (except Microsoft, they don't give out official numbers here for some reason).

The NA and Japan tracking of software seems to be quite accurate on Vgchartz but the large discrepancies due to the tricky EU/Others region(s) will skew the ww ltd totals a great deal at times and makes calculations complicated and somewhat unreliable.

the post has shown what a lot on this site already thought that ps360 games are more front loaded than the wii this is a very fine peice of work even though there are many viariables this has enough grounding to show this

while some numbers may be unreliable eg; eu/others this goes for ps360 as well as wii therefore still leaving a reasonable result

mjdans said:
while some numbers may be unreliable eg; eu/others this goes for ps360 as well as wii therefore still leaving a reasonable result

Yes, of course it does! If anything, the tracking of Wii Sports is the simplest here since it is bundled with every Wii! It applies equally to all platforms, except PC where its even worse since you have a growing market for digital versions being sold online.

Around the Network

1. Wii play should be included
2. LBP was heavily bundled for a time and so were some other games, i expect.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

@ puffy: You put a lot of work into the OP - good job.

It is nice to put some objective numbers behind what we already knew subjectively. Good work.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

To everybody that enjoyed the work I did thank you very much and i'm glad I could provide some solid evidence for everybody who knew this already... Also taking out those other 4 games Oyv.. WOW lol that's an impressively low number.. That means an 85,922 opening could get you 1 Million if you are a third party title :P actually it means that on average it does. And of course I don't mind anybody who wants to use these numbers, they're here for everybody to use :) SO USE THEM!

I'm very busy over the next 2 weeks but after that I might come back to this thread and have a think about what else these numbers might mean..

Not surprising really. Its good to see something more concrete though to help prove what everyone already knew.