By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What are you talking about, Sony's doing great in Japan

jaspey said: But it really is relevant. Just because it's so different from the competition doesn't mean it's a different category. I think you're wrong. wii sales will have minimal effect especially on ps3 sales and vice versa at this point. Once the ps3 price drops to be in range of the casual gamer that's when it'l be relevent.
I may be wrong Jaspy, but I think point they are trying to make is that if the Wii has a 4mil unit sales lead on the PS3 which system are developers going to make games for, think if Square-Enix decieded (which they most likely won't) hey the Wii has sold 4mil in NA/Japan vs PS3 sold 2.09mil in NA/Japan lets put FFXIII on the Wii it would kill the PS3 sales and that's why it's relevnt. As far Europe, 360 will never will the "Next Gen Wars" but it outselling the PS3 in Europe could hurt Sony sales there and in turn hurt Sony's Worldwide sales and leave the cheap Wii to win.(Not saying that will happen but you get my point)

Around the Network

jaspey said: As people have said before. The wii is irrelevent in regards the ps3 and xbox360. It's in it's own category, it's real competition is probably the ps2 at this early stage.
It IS relevant. Every time people start working on a Wii title, that's that many people in game development that aren't working on a 360/PS3 game. Every time someone picks up Wii hardware/software, that's that much less that can be spent on their competition.
It's future proof for many years
"Future proof" is only an idea, or theory, rather. It's nothing more than a statement that means "odds are good for it lasting a long time". Sony itself does not dictate where the industry will move, consumers do.
got a blistering lineup of games to come etc.
And as I said, after seeing the sales over the last few months, the Wii has had the vast majority of new game support announced for it over the last 3 months. This isn't coincidence.
Anyone backing against the ps3 is making a huge mistake imo.
Didn't a major japanese developer recently cancel several PS3 projects recently? I can't recall for sure what the exact story was, I gotta leave here in a few minutes.
Upto now i would expect Sony to be genuinely delighted with sales considering it's pricepoint which will change and lack of early aaa titles.
North American sales are good-but-not-great, with an abysmal software attach ratio I do believe, Japan sales are pretty piss-poor for both software and hardware overall, Gundam Masou is doing well software wise during it's first week, but it didn't help the hardware sales much, and it's the only major game for the next 3 months in Japan that I'm aware of. Right now Sony's feet are slipping in this console tug-of-war over consumers. We'll have to see if Europe stops this problem for them. Btw, I don't trust the way the preorder news statements about Europe were made, it wasn't clear enough for my taste.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Sony needs a big release in Japan we will see how they are really doing when FFXIII comes out.

I'd personally guess that I wouldn't see it before September in Japan at earliest, and definitely not this year in North America. And if 12 was any relation, not before 2009 in Europe. :-/

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Alacrist said: Sony needs a big release in Japan we will see how they are really doing when FFXIII comes out.
That is exactly what I was thinking. "The PS1 only took off because of FFVII" Ok... Well XIII is coming soon... maybe they are waiting for sony to work out their 'historic' flawed machines... Maybe they dont see the point in buying a console... and not useing it for 6 months?

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

Kwaad said: Alacrist said: Sony needs a big release in Japan we will see how they are really doing when FFXIII comes out. That is exactly what I was thinking. "The PS1 only took off because of FFVII" Ok... Well XIII is coming soon... maybe they are waiting for sony to work out their 'historic' flawed machines... Maybe they dont see the point in buying a console... and not useing it for 6 months?
And maybe (and this is not ironic) it will be too late for the PS3 when FF13 arrives in 2008. I mean Super Mario Galaxy will be out there, Brawl, Wii health pack and Wii music, the japanese like crazy titles and the Wii is getting the crazy titles and the non gamers, too. The same happend with the N64: Everyone waited for Zelda and it came too late. It´s about quantity too. If Metal Gear and Final Fantasy will come out this year Sony has a chance in my opinion. But otherwise... I don´t know - there are not that much titles coming out. On Wii there is Super Paper Mario in march but was is coming out on PS3? If the PS3 gets some momentum in 2008 that would be great - but it won´t be enough to win against the Wii in Japan maybe... (this post really shouldn´t mean you were trolling kwaad cuz I can see your point. I´m just scared FF13 could be too late to safe the console.)

THe PS3 has like 7 titles of the 20 most wanted in Japan ...the Wii has like 1 or 2 .Yes ,I definitely think the PS3 will do great in Japan ,its just having a slow start .

Of course it has. But Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, FF13, Metal Gear Solid - all of them are still not dated. That´s what I meant. (sorry...)