By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What are you talking about, Sony's doing great in Japan

For the past 7 weeks in Japan, only one week they didnt have the number one spot for a game on one of there consoles.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Around the Network

and what about the next 7 weeks ? (yoshi's, yu gi yoh, front mission DS, english training 2, Tamagotchi RPG, Super paper Mario, Final Fantasy XII... )

Sony is fine. The PS3 not so much.

This thread proves nothing but the fact that its easy to hand-pick statistics to support any case. Sony is dominating Japan! They've had the top game 6 of the last 7 weeks!!!

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

You know what I find funny though? Is that ya Sony has been number one most of the time but if you look on the charts below the number one all it says is DS.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Around the Network

Virtua Figher 5 was a quick barely #1 50k blip on the radar and promptly fell right off (not even the top 50 of the following week), Gudam Masou looks to be a good seller, except it only upped PS3 sales by 20k last week, we'll need to see if it can sustain any momentum this week. And supposedly that's it for any significant titles for the PS3 until June when a new golf game comes out. That's the current situation for the PS3 in Japan. Read : Not good. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5754209&postcount=409

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

I was looking at amazon.co.uk sales charts... Sony is mopping up everyone. Amuses me. And America... it sounds like The PS3 frenzy I mentioned... is starting as well. Either way. I'll have to wait a month to see what NPD says. But I'm really REALLY curious about the EU launch.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Go look at the yearly software/hardware charts in Japan...... Hardware: DS 1,499,250 Wii 812,750 PSP 528,000 PS3 278,000 PS2 219,500 X360 68,750 GBA 24,000 GC 4,750 Software Totals: DS 7,607,250 PS2 2,120,250 Wii 1,967,250 PSP 1,552,750 PS3 497,500 X360 177,000 GBA 170,500 DC 12,000 GC 3,750 That is why Sony isn't doing great.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I was looking at amazon.co.uk sales charts... Sony is mopping up everyone. Amuses me.
I'd be suprised if they didn't considering that the console has yet to launch there. :p
And America... it sounds like The PS3 frenzy I mentioned... is starting as well. Either way. I'll have to wait a month to see what NPD says.
Personally I expect a repeat of January.
But I'm really REALLY curious about the EU launch.
PS3 will take the top spot is pretty much a guarantee, barring something significant (not likely). I'm more cirious as to how much the sales decline during the 2nd and 3rd months (like any other console), it should give us a good feel as to how the PS3 will do over there. Personally I'm expecting sales similar to the US to slightly better. Personally though, I expect this month to be the only month where the PS3 has a chance of outselling Wii worldwide until xmas. :)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Sony is weaker in Japan right now than they've been since the release of the PS1. Last week, 27 of the top 30 games were for Nintendo systems and the only Sony system that at least tends to have a couple of games in the top 50 (PS2) is starting to die. Dark times ahead to be sure.