By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Over 100K pirate Demigod, only 18K in actual sales.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-3707-LA-Gaming-News-Examiner~y2009m4d16-Over-100K-pirate-Demigod-only-18K-in-actual-sales

Over 100K pirate Demigod, only 18K in actual sales

Demigod developer Stardock claims that over 120,000 users have tried to play the title online since it was launched early last weekend, and only 18,000 have actually paid for it.

The game has dealt with a rough launch, started when GameStop forced the dev into releasing the digital copy before their planned launch by selling copies of Demigod days before the intended release date.

For you math majors, that's over a 5:1 ratio of pirate to actual legit owner, PC gaming has never looked so bleak.

If this is true.  That f**king sucks for them.  Something needs to be done.

Around the Network

Actually, it's over 6:1, and close to 7:1.

Horrible, but unsurprising.

Oops. Delete thread. My ever increasing age is destroying my mind and eyesight.

kinda makes me really upset. never heard of the game and don't much care for pc gaming, but thats messed up

kowenicki said:
thats outrageous... its theft... simple as that.

wait till the game is actually released in oversea regions. That number will be cut in half.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
@ssj12

its still theft...

SIgh...... I feel like I'm beating on a dead horse here....

When I get a copy, is there 1 less copy out there in the world? Am I denying someone to get the game when I get it? No? I didn't think so. It's not theft, it's a full other beast.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
kowenicki said:
@ssj12

its still theft...

SIgh...... I feel like I'm beating on a dead horse here....

When I get a copy, is there 1 less copy out there in the world? Am I denying someone to get the game when I get it? No? I didn't think so. It's not theft, it's a full other beast.

Exactly, theft and piracy are to different forms of stealing assets. Piracy is typically just intangible assets as they cant be touched, of course there is real piracy too. See all the boats taken over by real pirates in the news lately? These real life pirates are being thieves by stealing boats and hostages.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

I don´t see how piracy can be defeated without a complete and controversial change in 'the entire system'.

JGarret said:
I don´t see how piracy can be defeated without a complete and controversial change in 'the entire system'.

not really, you just need DRM that is covered over with insane amounts of value.

I am talking about Steam btw. Its DRM, but with a cherry on top.

I bet a lot of the people (a huge majority) playing GTA China Town wars did the exact same thing.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.