By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "the very definition of a rental title"

ouch .... penny arcades thoughts on HS, 

Heavenly Sword is, as you will soon discover, the very definition of a rental title. Clocking in at somewhere between five and six hours (depending on your appetite for overwrought cinemas) it's a decent game saddled by impossible expectations. It has silly ideas and grandeur in close proximity to one another.

It tries hard. And it's not bad, by any means. But it's not excellent, and perhaps unfairly it had this onus placed upon it. I've said that Lair is not the Playstation 3, and nor is Heavenly Sword, but taken together one must come to the unmistakable conclusion that the Playstation 3 is a game console and not the supernatural artifact they have presented it as. That however many processors and however many gigs of space are not especially relevant when put in the service of middling entertainment.

It has a decent combat system, and using this combat system you will progress from locked room to cramped, locked room until you come face to face with some jeering asshole. You might kill them either because of the jeering or because you think that death might cull their interminable monologues. There's a mean snake bitch and a pervert and an oaf. Oh! And en evil king. The only thing running through my head during the lavish and no doubt expensive mo-capped cutscenes was that these kings and bitches and so forth should form a band. It never seems to know if it wants to be a hilarious comic circus or a stark medieval saga. Play it, and you'll know what I mean.

There are successes, though: Kai, the mostly deranged sidekick, charms from the outset. Her feral animations and nuanced delivery really make her stand out against this batch of also-rans. Any object that can be thrown can also be thrown and then guided in slow motion, including corpses, which is something you must see to believe. We didn't even have a target; we would just throw bodies so that they flew like Superman head-first into gongs. This is something you can do for a half an hour - or more - without tiring of it. This guided firing is called "Aftertouch," and it's about fifty percent of the game. One wonders what the game's length would actually be if you didn't play half of it in slow-motion.

Some measure of your enjoyment will be bound up in whether or not you "buy" the story that they are telling. I've heard it described as epic, when it's pretty rudimentary fantasy-by-numbers bullshit, so who knows. It's all a matter of perspective: are we judging it against only PS3 games? If so, things are shaping up! If you own more than one console - or a personal computer - your standards for grand storytelling were recently adjusted upward.

(CW)TB out.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/

Though the thought of throwing dead bodies in slow motion does sound very cool, that feature needs to be added to hitman in its next game, screw dragging bodies around

edit: lair for hs... dangers of posting at work i guess

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network

Well i'd classify any game that can be comfortably beaten within the time of a rental a rental game.

May as well rent it, beat it then buy it if you like it.

"ouch .... penny arcades thoughts on lair,"

I´m no expert but I´m pretty sure the article is about Heavenly Sword. Doens´t sound all that bad but I would feel ripped of if I payed 60-70 euros for ony 5-6 hours of fun.... those are crack prices. If I had a PS3 I would gladly rent this though.

goddog said:
ouch .... penny arcades thoughts on lair,

*pst* They're talking about Heavenly Sword.

-edit-
Bah, beaten.

That's not that bad...a rental saves money...go rent Heavenly Sword and enjoy for what it is, a good game.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

Next Up: Uncharted.

The problem is not that they are not good games, just that they, more than likely, will not be moving the hardware. Pay $560+ to play a 5 hour game?

I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to give this game more than one play through. Once to beat it, and more times to really perfect your combat and vary the stances.

Quick question, are there any difficulty settings?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

High development costs forcing PS3 games to be short? Maybe not just the PS3 (*cough*Gears of War*cough*), but it sure seems to be becoming a trend.

Too bad there are virtually no game rental services in my country. =/

Parokki said:
High development costs forcing PS3 games to be short? Maybe not just the PS3 (*cough*Gears of War*cough*), but it sure seems to be becoming a trend.

Gears also offered co-op play and an extensive online component. The two games aren't comparable.

I just thought of something...

Heavenly Sword has roughly 2GB of uncompressed audio for every hour of gameplay... Thank God for Blu-ray.

*rolls eyes*

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

i don't seem to be able to rent Wii games from local blockbuster here in UK. are they just not out for rental yet or is something wrong [are nintendo not yet selling to bb for some reason]

i didn't read the whole thing [its in light grey hard to read] but from the bits i read the game seems fine, are there any other complaints aside from length?
LoZ:WW was short but its still my favourite game. [ok the main quest was at least 10 hours, which is medium]