By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Of everyone who bashes Lair, who has actually played it?

I'm not going to say the game is good (I haven't played it, so I don't know), but I am genuinely curious about the number of people who have actually played the game and decided it was bad for themselves.  If you thought it was bad, please indicate whether or not you went into the experience with high hopes or low hopes and whether or not you would enjoy this type of game if the experience would have been improved.

And please, if you haven't played more than 5 minutes don't forget to mention that.  Only an idiot would think that you could give a fair and accurate review of a game with such a short amount of playtime.   I'm looking for unbiased, fact-based opinions.  If you only played an in-store demo you likely didn't even get 5 minutes in and can't be a fair judge, but if you rented it and hated it badly enough that you couldn't make it 5 minutes then that is worth mentioning.

So, for the people who have actually played it:   How good or bad is it really?

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Around the Network

we need a "How to play Lair" guide manual.

So what you're saying is that you haven't played it yet, but you're bashing it. Your opinion means about as much as a box full of fecal matter does when given as a gift.

I want from people who have actually put a Six-Axis in their hands and controlled a dragon.  Someone that has played the game and can say for sure that it's just not that great.  If all you can do is regurgitate the opinion of reviewers who didn't have more than an hour with the game and get paid by video game companies to do their jobs (via advertising that insures their possition) then you haven't got a thing to add to this topic.

I want to hear from someone who has played Lair.

The reviewers, I expect.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

I'm looking for a human being whose salary isn't potentially decided based on the number they pull out of their asses. Just one person who has played it for themselves and actually thinks the game is bad after a decent amount of playtime would be satisfactory. I see a lot of shit talkers on this site, I don't see anyone stepping forward to say they've played it for themselves.

Is everyone here just a bunch of sheep led around by guys who are paid to make up numbers and write biased reviews, or are there actual people here who can testify to the poor quality of the game? There's a lot of bashing, but not a lot of justification. If so many people on this site can trash-talk the game, surely they must have actually tried playing it for themselves. Right?

Really, the game is not my cup of tea.  If it were available for $10-15 I'd still pass it up.  If you just don't have an interestin it that's fine.  But your opinion is also worthless on the matter, and you have to open up to that fact.  You don't have to like the game, you can even hate it, but unless you've actually played the game for yourself anything you say about it is pure bullshit.  Bring me someone who has actually played it.

Around the Network

Rocketpig once claimed to have played this 'Lair' game.

Nowadays he claims the operation was a success and the traumatic memories have been purged from his psyche.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I played it, it sucks. The controls aren't THAT bad, but the game in general is seriously flawed. I don't think I need to regurgitate the same things that have been said over and over, just read any one of the reviews out there besides Play magazine and you will get the drift. Do you really think that it is coincidence that these people paid to "make up numbers" just happen to all be "making up" the same or similar numbers? The only people I have ever seen defend the game or pronounce their liking for it (Which btw I would go pretty far to justify a 60 dollar purchase too, especially if I have been waiting in anticipation for a game that was supposed to come out at launch) are on the ps3forums. Even ps3fanboy agrees with me, and if they say its a bad game, then you know it must be true. You can just take my word for it though since you don't believe someone because they receive a salary for playing games and making up numbers.

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

I don't need a review. I didn't ask for a review. I asked: Did you like it, do you normally like these kind of games, what were you expecting from this game, and how long did you play it? That's not a review. That's a survey.

And no, I don't think it's coincidence that the numbers are similar because they sort of aren't. Even excepting Play Magazine* they range, as a genreal trend, from 4-7 (and average out to 57% nonetheless). No, that's not a good number, even if you think of 5 as average (when many think that 7 is, for some idiotic reason), but it's still within the "Most people won't like it, but plenty of people will be satisfied" range. And even still, it doesn't actually mean anything when the numbers are as made up as in an episode of "Whose Line is it Anyway?"  Even when I try to give the most fair opinion I can of soemthing on a 1-10 scale I'm still just pulling the number out of my ass.  And so are the reviewers/editors.

So, again, I want opinions from people who have actually played it and their expectations. You played it and disliked it. Do you like this sort of game normally?  If issues were fixed would you have enjoyed it more? And how long did you actually play?

All you give is an opinion without telling us the background for the experience. If you walked into a Gamestop, played it for 30 seconds, and decided you hated it before you even picked up the controller then your opinion is tainted. So, tell me, what conditions did you play this under?

*Note:  Let's be honest here.  PM is as useless to me as GameSpy.  Neither opinion means jack to me.  I want the people of vgcharts to speak up and indicate that the dislike towards this game comes from more than a dislike for the genre, the company, the system or what have you.

Mate stop being so demanding. Most people on this site don't lie. If they say they've played it and they think it was flawed, they are telling the truth. Ive never played it, i only know what ive read in reviews from a variety of sources and they are almost universally poor.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
Mate stop being so demanding. Most people on this site don't lie. If they say they've played it and they think it was flawed, they are telling the truth. Ive never played it, i only know what ive read in reviews from a variety of sources and they are almost universally poor.

The thing is, only a handfu of people have actually claimed to play it while a whole lot mroe simply talk bad about it without developing their own opinion.  Sorry, I do expect human beings to use their intelligence to make rational decisions based on factual evidence and personal experience rather than being led around by what everyone else says. 

You can dislike the game.  It's your god/law/whatever-given right to do so and I will not take that away from you.  And I never called anyone a liar.  But what I am saying is that if you haven't played the game yourself it's time to own up to that and admit it instead of spreading hearsay as if it were fact.  Just because someone else says the game is bad does not mean you* can say it is bad as if you have the same authority.

Really, universally accepted views are the thing that damns us the most as human beings.  It's not until we give up those views (say, that the Earth is flat and that the Sun revolves around it) and actually seek to learn something true for ourselves that we make progress.  The least people can do is not spread more BS around than already exists, even if they never take the time to learn for themselves.

*Note:  You haven't.  You were honest, and I appreciate that.  Not everyone else is.