By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 has a higher attach rate than Xbox 360?

The issue i have with the time argument is that, it's to anecdotal. Too maany things are assumed. This is because the impact that time of ownership has on the tie ratio can't be conclusively measured. The most you can get is really rough numbers. One of the biggest problems is that you assume that everyone buys games at the same rate. Meaning that hypothetically, everyone buys 1 game every month they own the console and thats just not true. Some people by 1 game every 5 months, some buy 1 every month some avg 1 every 2 months. Like i said, it's just too anecdotal, too subjective to too many factors.

Around the Network

Making a game mulitplatform does not guarantee you more money, and i said this especially because of companies that dont have the man power to make a game on muiltiple consoles, or even if they are bigger dont want to make a game mulitplat because they feel their team may be big enough to divide but not at the expense of loss of quality for the game, so prefer exclusive.

I know that if i was in a dev team that had to be exclusive, i'd prefer to be exclusive on the 360, i'd make much more money.

According to VGChartz software numbers, The xbox 360 has an attatch ratio of around 7.5, while the PS3 has an attatch ratio of around 6 (with the xbox sporting one extra year of life).

Disregarding inaccuracies in the VGChartz total software figures, this shows that Peter Dille is cherry picking to suit his argument.

Indeed, I would say his figures points to the Xbox 360 having a stronger game library overall, because Xbox 360 owners distribute their purchases over more games than PS3 owners do.

This is invisible text!

For Japan the roles are the other way around, the PS3 has a 3 to 1 install base advantage. But the sales gap for many simultaneously released PS3/360 games are beyond a 3 to 1 advantage.

For example recent games like RE5, Tomb Raider: UW, Midnight Club: LA performed rather 4:1 to the PS3's advantage.

Really I don't see the point why some people are attacking Sony and are defending Microsoft's PR...

Multi-platform games perform no worse than on the 360, actually in general they seem to perform slightly better than one would expect based on install base. Especially from an amount of software bought per user per month of ownership perspective.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

dcIKeeL said:
The issue i have with the time argument is that, it's to anecdotal. Too maany things are assumed. This is because the impact that time of ownership has on the tie ratio can't be conclusively measured. The most you can get is really rough numbers. One of the biggest problems is that you assume that everyone buys games at the same rate. Meaning that hypothetically, everyone buys 1 game every month they own the console and thats just not true. Some people by 1 game every 5 months, some buy 1 every month some avg 1 every 2 months. Like i said, it's just too anecdotal, too subjective to too many factors.

How is my method anecdotal?  We have data on weekly hardware, and we have data on weekly software.  The end result is an average, just like attach ratio is an average.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
dcIKeeL said:
no, the 5.6 million is accurate, this was the number of consoles the 360 had sold when the ps3 entered the market so after those units why should the time argument bare any meaning if every console from there on was sold in the same timeframe, therefore having the same ownership lifetime. The 2million is rough i agree, but thats because i was to lazy to look at the release dates on all regions for the ps3 and see how large the gap was in those regions when the ps3 entered the market in those regions. In any case the number won't be large by any stretch of the imagination, these regions for the most part had less than 1 year in release in favor of the 360 over the ps3 and some of the regions are smaller markets.

Total attach rate will always increase with time.  That is why time is an important consideration.  Also, every console from then on was NOT sold in the same time frame.  The 360 and PS3 sold at different rates for a long time, which will affect the rate of software adoption.

The best way to look at it is on a week by week basis.  As of a few weeks ago the average PS3 owner bought a game every 9.47 weeks and the average 360 owner bought a game every 9.75 weeks.  It is close, but PS3 owners are actually buying software at a faster rate than 360 owners.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

Another example with regard to others regarding simultaneous game releases.

According to VGChartz data the 360 has an install base advantage of about 10% here (which is IMO already a great result considering a 17 month headstart for the 360 and higher entry pricing for the PS3).

Although others data are probably the hardest to track here on VGChartz, the data suggest:

Godfather II sold better on the PS3, despite the 360 should have sold better taking into account install base.

The same goes for other recent releases like Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter IV, the Wheelman, Tom Clancy’s HAWX, Fifa 09, etc.

The only recent multi-platform game I could find which sold slightly better on the 360 as should be expected is Call of Duty: World at War.

So this trend seems to be valid worldwide.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

theRepublic said:

Here are the numbers you are talking about (126 weeks for both consoles):

Hardware Software Tie Ratio
360 17,939,083 110,227,221 6.14
PS3 21,534,084 127,217,518 

PS3 sold more hardware and software, but 360 wins the ratio.

What's interesting about your data is the fact that VGC has very little software data for the 360 in PAL territories near launch. You may want to note that, before the PS3 came out, VGC tracked a mere 1.2 million software units in the entire region! VGC claims a 0.42 attach ratio in PAL territories for it's first year and a half! Actuals put it at well over 10-15 times that for attach ratio in Microsoft's 2nd biggest region.

With so much missing data, it's hard to really give a great argument that the PS3 and X360 are close when VGC didn't begin to track PAL data until October or November of 2007. This favors the PS3 by tens of millions of software units. You may want to note this before you begin to claim anything, sir.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

MikeB said:
Another example with regard to others regarding simultaneous game releases.

According to VGChartz data the 360 has an install base advantage of about 10% here (which is IMO already a great result considering a 17 month headstart for the 360 and higher entry pricing for the PS3).

Although others data are probably the hardest to track here on VGChartz, the data suggest:

Godfather II sold better on the PS3, despite the 360 should have sold better taking into account install base.

The same goes for other recent releases like Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter IV, the Wheelman, Tom Clancy’s HAWX, Fifa 09, etc.

The only recent multi-platform game I could find which sold slightly better on the 360 as should be expected is Call of Duty: World at War.

So this trend seems to be valid worldwide.

And still the Xbox has (according to VGChartz numbers) a higher attatch ratio than the PS3. Again, this would lead me to assume that the Xbox game library is more diverse and of higher quality than the PS3 game library.

I would assume that there is a connection between hardware installbase and individual game sales, but it's definitely not a 1:1 relationship, and it's not the same for every game.

In fact, when you look at software sales for consoles on a week-by-week basis for the latest couple of months, you'll find that the xbox and PS3 figures are very close to each other, when you discount for the installbase difference. So what games are the xbox selling more of, if the differences in multiplatform games is smaller than expected?

This is invisible text!

mrstickball said:
theRepublic said:

Here are the numbers you are talking about (126 weeks for both consoles):

Hardware Software Tie Ratio
360 17,939,083 110,227,221 6.14
PS3 21,534,084 127,217,518 

PS3 sold more hardware and software, but 360 wins the ratio.

What's interesting about your data is the fact that VGC has very little software data for the 360 in PAL territories near launch. You may want to note that, before the PS3 came out, VGC tracked a mere 1.2 million software units in the entire region! VGC claims a 0.42 attach ratio in PAL territories for it's first year and a half! Actuals put it at well over 10-15 times that for attach ratio in Microsoft's 2nd biggest region.

With so much missing data, it's hard to really give a great argument that the PS3 and X360 are close when VGC didn't begin to track PAL data until October or November of 2007. This favors the PS3 by tens of millions of software units. You may want to note this before you begin to claim anything, sir.

This was just for someone who wanted to know the data that we have.  I didn't claim anything.  Attach rates are useless anyway, and I have said that numerous times.

A better way to look at it is on a week by week basis, and caculating total time of ownership.  I've done that for the world in the thread I linked to, and I will be breaking it down by region at a later date (mid May probably).

Now Playing