By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 has a higher attach rate than Xbox 360?

MikeB said:

@ nightsurge

Super Mario Bros, Tetris, Pokemon, etc were new IPs, each sold more units than Halo 1, Halo 2 and Halo 3 combined.

There are many different factors involved. New IPs are more risky, but doesn't stand in the way of potential.

What about the HD competing consoles and HD games of the same genre comparison did you not understand?

Around the Network

Imho, at this point in the console war, it's about showing some profits, and getting the engineering in place for the next console, not trying to gobble up market share and try to gain adoption of your platform. This is NOT to say that isn't important, but putting out a profitable product is far more important, which is why Sony is forgoing a price reduction. The "war" isn't over, and Sony certianly hasn't lost, but it's not looking very likely to be the dominant force it was last gen.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

wow @ the heavy flaming

You should be beaten, burned to ashes then someone should throw your ashes from a plane

dcIKeeL said:
theRepublic said:
dcIKeeL said:
The issue i have with the time argument is that, it's to anecdotal. Too maany things are assumed. This is because the impact that time of ownership has on the tie ratio can't be conclusively measured. The most you can get is really rough numbers. One of the biggest problems is that you assume that everyone buys games at the same rate. Meaning that hypothetically, everyone buys 1 game every month they own the console and thats just not true. Some people by 1 game every 5 months, some buy 1 every month some avg 1 every 2 months. Like i said, it's just too anecdotal, too subjective to too many factors.

How is my method anecdotal?  We have data on weekly hardware, and we have data on weekly software.  The end result is an average, just like attach ratio is an average.

It's anecdotal because the best avg you can get is too rough, it's too inconclusive, and you are not taking into account the japan situation.

Do you even know what is anecdotal evidence?  It is evidence used to make a conclusion that does not follow, usually because the evidence is from too small a sample.

The analysis I performed is in no way anecdotal since it is based on ALL the data in the weekly charts.  It is not subjective since it is based on DATA.  It is not rough because I used every digit available to me.  It includes Japan because it is worldwide.

I'll link you to it again.  Try and understand it this time.  The math is not complicated, it is only addition, multiplication, and division.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=66975

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

so americans do care about the ps3 lol

Around the Network
dcIKeeL said:
theRepublic said:
dcIKeeL said:
no, the 5.6 million is accurate, this was the number of consoles the 360 had sold when the ps3 entered the market so after those units why should the time argument bare any meaning if every console from there on was sold in the same timeframe, therefore having the same ownership lifetime. The 2million is rough i agree, but thats because i was to lazy to look at the release dates on all regions for the ps3 and see how large the gap was in those regions when the ps3 entered the market in those regions. In any case the number won't be large by any stretch of the imagination, these regions for the most part had less than 1 year in release in favor of the 360 over the ps3 and some of the regions are smaller markets.

Total attach rate will always increase with time.  That is why time is an important consideration.  Also, every console from then on was NOT sold in the same time frame.  The 360 and PS3 sold at different rates for a long time, which will affect the rate of software adoption.

The best way to look at it is on a week by week basis.  As of a few weeks ago the average PS3 owner bought a game every 9.47 weeks and the average 360 owner bought a game every 9.75 weeks.  It is close, but PS3 owners are actually buying software at a faster rate than 360 owners.

Now you're just being an unreasonable fanboy. If you're gonna actually consider the minimal impact, if any of the different rate units sold for each console respectively you're obviously a fanboy. First of all for the first 2 years after the ps3 launched it outsold the 360 slightly on a regular basis, so if anything it reduces ps3's tie in ratio not 360's, but it doesn't because to even consider something so minimal is ridiculous. I suppose I should consider the fact that due to the severe harware problems the 360 had in it's first to years of launch (it still does but it's much closer to an acceptable failure rate than it used to be) there aren't 29 million 360 users out there. That number can be reduced by several million because many people opted not to buy one again or bought another console instead. Especially very early on when MS would't recognize the excessively high failure rate their console had and therefore people would have to pay for repairs, or a new console. I think this argument is still a little ridiculous but it has much more credibility than the ps3 and 360 selling at different rates.Really??? Exactly what pair of consoles would ever sell on par?? What bubble do you live in, are there pretty ponies that do all the weak accounting for you?

Now

That was fairly incoherent, but I did understand that you are calling me a fanboy.  What kind of fanboy am I?  I have never owned a Sony console, and I have never owned a Microsoft console.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)