By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft extends warranty due to E74 error

eliasg said:
Mike B , what about the yellow light of death. Does Sony extended the warranty???

NO.....

Dont get me wrong but Sony fanboys trying to cover this problem , even an article from hiphopgamer.com was removed from n4g.com.

It's specially glaring when most of those fanboys swallowed the no additional warranty coverage policy on the infamous ps2 disc read erros. 

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network

Good thing I still have my launch 360 that got E74. I can send that back now for repairs.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Bitmap Frogs said:
eliasg said:
Mike B , what about the yellow light of death. Does Sony extended the warranty???

NO.....

Dont get me wrong but Sony fanboys trying to cover this problem , even an article from hiphopgamer.com was removed from n4g.com.

It's specially glaring when most of those fanboys swallowed the no additional warranty coverage policy on the infamous ps2 disc read erros. 

so true...

and at least MS is trying.

nightsurge said:
MikeB said:
dbot said:
^badge - I agree with the theory that the E74 is related to how the HDMI port is attached to the motherboard. Did you use the HDMI port, and did you move your xbox frequently? I had a few friends that got the E74 and that seems like a possible cause.

Well there are plenty of reports for older units with E-74 (lacking a HDMI port). I think it's the GPU unit overheating for most problems (which in the past would mean RRoD), most evidence I have heard about seems to point this way.

Gotta love MikeB to the scene of any negative 360 news

Anyway, E-74 on almost all instances is related to the HDMI port, or the ANA/HANA chip.  The fixes for it usually involve applying pressure to it so that it retains it's contact with the motherboard and does not come loose.

RRoD never really meant a specific issue.  It was a "general hardware failure" and would be given for nearly any major error involving the GPU, CPU, scaler, etc.  E-74 can be the scaler/HDMI port, and since it relates to one of the RRoD problems, they are offering to cover it.

E-74 was never anywhere near as common as the RRoD was.  It didn't even exist on Google at all until August 2008.  The only reason it has slowly gained in popularity over the last few months is due to all these stupid blog posts and "articles" that speculate "is this the new RRoD?" without any solid proof.  Most of these articles use just simple forum posts or emails they have received to judge the severity of E-74 and on either occasion it is a laughably small amount of proof (One article stated that emails received per month went up from 2 to 5, whoopdiedooo!  Another just had a random poll for users to vote, but obviously the majority of people voting are going to be ones that had the issue, because people without the issue won't care enough to go out and look for articles on it, then vote that their Xbox is fine).

Bad Xbox news fuels fanboy wars, and that's why bloggers/websites post articles about it.  It is only in the absence of RRoD that they decided to bring in this new issue to stir up hits to their websites again.

Not to mention all of the fanboys voting to make it look worse than it is.  

+1 to your post.  It covers pretty much everything.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

@ nightsurge

E-74 was never anywhere near as common as the RRoD was.

Yet it's common:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=E-74+360

@ eliasg

IMO the United Stated should up default warranty for consumer electronics up to 3 years, like is the case for the EU.

Of course this overheating problem is relatively far less common:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22yellow%20light%22+PS3

The PS3 seems to endure mainly 2 far more rare (compared to RRoD, E-74 and disc scratching) hardware failures. 1) Overheating, mostly with regard to old units 2) drive failure seems to be affecting mainly newer units (maybe up to 50% of cases, just a dirty lens)

I am sure Wiis have failed as well, but IMO the 360 situation is extra-ordinary.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

I don't think comparing RROD to E74 is worthwhile , you'll never know for sure how widespread the fault is , even the 33% figure given for RROD is a rough estimation.

The main problem with the hardware errors are that they are indeed widespread , you'd have thought so late into the generation Microsoft would have rectified most of the hardware errors the 360 experiences.

Extending the warranty is great for people who are aware of the rights but you'd be supprised to know how many people aren't aware of their right to retrun faulty hardware back to the manufacturer.

new name for MS console ... Crash box 3fixme (saw it in another forum... i think was funny...)

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

@ NinjaKido

I don't think comparing RROD to E74 is worthwhile , you'll never know for sure how widespread the fault is , even the 33% figure given for RROD is a rough estimation.

Note that was a first year estimation. There is much in depth leaked information available though.

At let's say 100 dollars repair costs per console (which is a lot and certainly way too much for refurbed repairs), the over 1 Billion dollar repair costs would cover the breaking of over 10 million consoles. At 50 dollars per unit that would have been over 20 million units.

I think Microsoft is now well past this amount and thus introduced (expanded) E74 with the introduction of XNE. Consoles which would RRoD in the past would in many cases now show E74. Maybe Microsoft will reveal additional repair costs to their shareholders.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Extended warranty? Your title should say the current warranty now includes E74 error. The way you say it makes it look like the warranty lasts longer, and it does not.

that's good news for xbox owners....is the rrod still a big problem and how widespread is this e74 error (I am assuming decently big if they are extending the warranty)?????

sorry if this is off topic somewhat I just didn't want to start a new thread

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.