By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft extends warranty due to E74 error

dbot said:
^badge - I agree with the theory that the E74 is related to how the HDMI port is attached to the motherboard. Did you use the HDMI port, and did you move your xbox frequently? I had a few friends that got the E74 and that seems like a possible cause.

I did use the HDMI port, though I never moved my Xbox at all except to dust under it.

Around the Network

well whatever the problem now if you get it just send it in and get another one back, its better than paying for it to be fixed and if you did pay for a E-74 repair you'll get you money back.

as for the Microsoft should be fixing the problem permanent its obvious they looked into it and it would take a overhaul would be my guess of the hole system which would mean a new price tag to go with it.now that the 3 red's are covered and now the E-74 is covered that about takes care of the two problems that's mostly causing the regular problems.

Yep, i'm a girl

In my opinion MS has no other choice than to extend the console's warranty for every ( major or minor ) hardware-failure.
If they don't, people will simply cook the machine until it gives the RROD, and it will propably cost MS more to repair it than some minor hardware issue.

MikeB said:
dbot said:
^badge - I agree with the theory that the E74 is related to how the HDMI port is attached to the motherboard. Did you use the HDMI port, and did you move your xbox frequently? I had a few friends that got the E74 and that seems like a possible cause.

Well there are plenty of reports for older units with E-74 (lacking a HDMI port). I think it's the GPU unit overheating for most problems (which in the past would mean RRoD), most evidence I have heard about seems to point this way.

Gotta love MikeB to the scene of any negative 360 news

Anyway, E-74 on almost all instances is related to the HDMI port, or the ANA/HANA chip.  The fixes for it usually involve applying pressure to it so that it retains it's contact with the motherboard and does not come loose.

RRoD never really meant a specific issue.  It was a "general hardware failure" and would be given for nearly any major error involving the GPU, CPU, scaler, etc.  E-74 can be the scaler/HDMI port, and since it relates to one of the RRoD problems, they are offering to cover it.

E-74 was never anywhere near as common as the RRoD was.  It didn't even exist on Google at all until August 2008.  The only reason it has slowly gained in popularity over the last few months is due to all these stupid blog posts and "articles" that speculate "is this the new RRoD?" without any solid proof.  Most of these articles use just simple forum posts or emails they have received to judge the severity of E-74 and on either occasion it is a laughably small amount of proof (One article stated that emails received per month went up from 2 to 5, whoopdiedooo!  Another just had a random poll for users to vote, but obviously the majority of people voting are going to be ones that had the issue, because people without the issue won't care enough to go out and look for articles on it, then vote that their Xbox is fine).

Bad Xbox news fuels fanboy wars, and that's why bloggers/websites post articles about it.  It is only in the absence of RRoD that they decided to bring in this new issue to stir up hits to their websites again.

Willem said:
In my opinion MS has no other choice than to extend the console's warranty for every ( major or minor ) hardware-failure.
If they don't, people will simply cook the machine until it gives the RROD, and it will propably cost MS more to repair it than some minor hardware issue.

Pretty much. 

@nightsurge: yeah, as usual MikeB is quick and fast to maximize the PR damage, as quick and fast as he is to damage control bad Sony news. Not to mention a couple accounts I only see popping on 360 hardware issues threads. Agenda pushing at its finest.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network

Does this new warranty begin from the day you purchased your system or from today?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
Does this new warranty begin from the day you purchased your system or from today?

Purchase.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Bitmap Frogs said:
Euphoria14 said:

Purchase.

So I still have 2 more years left for this and RRoD.

I would rather these problems not be here to begin with though.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Mike B , what about the yellow light of death. Does Sony extended the warranty???

NO.....

Dont get me wrong but Sony fanboys trying to cover this problem , even an article from hiphopgamer.com was removed from n4g.com.

eliasg said:
Mike B , what about the yellow light of death. Does Sony extended the warranty???

NO.....

Dont get me wrong but Sony fanboys trying to cover this problem , even an article from hiphopgamer.com was removed from n4g.com.

That is nowhere near as widespread as E-74 and/or RRoD.

It is not fair to compare the two.

Should we also add in now that the Wii would fry the GPU if you left the system on standby with WiiConnect 24 active? Of course not, because it is not as widespread.

Currently playing: