By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft extends warranty due to E74 error

eliasg said:
Mike B , what about the yellow light of death. Does Sony extended the warranty???

NO.....

Dont get me wrong but Sony fanboys trying to cover this problem , even an article from hiphopgamer.com was removed from n4g.com.

YLOD doesn't have a appearance rate of 33% like Xbox had... You can ignore it the same way you can ignore the drive issues with the Wii...

Around the Network
MikeB said:

@ nightsurge

E-74 was never anywhere near as common as the RRoD was.

Yet it's common:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=E-74+360

@ eliasg

Mike B , what about the yellow light of death. Does Sony extended the warranty???

IMO the United Stated should up default warranty for consumer electronics up to 3 years, like is the case for the EU.

Of course this overheating problem is relatively far less common:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22yellow%20light%22+PS3

The PS3 seems to endure mainly 2 far more rare (compared to RRoD, E-74 and disc scratching) hardware failures. 1) Overheating, mostly with regard to old units 2) drive failure seems to be affecting mainly newer units (maybe up to 50% of cases, just a dirty lens)

I am sure Wiis have failed as well, but IMO the 360 situation is extra-ordinary.

You're seriously not using Google search results to show how "big" of an issue it is are you???

Here type in E-25 360 or any other imaginary number and see the results you get.  Wow 26 million hits, must be a new epidemic lol

But hey anyone can manipulate the system just like you did to get whatever results you like.

Oh wow we can do it for the PS3 too!!! http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=yellow+light+ps3&btnG=Search vs your "proof"

Seriously????????

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection
Goddbless said:
Good thing I still have my launch 360 that got E74. I can send that back now for repairs.

If I am not mistaken, you launch 360 is not covered by this.  It is outside of the 3 years RROD/E74 extended warranty.

^So launch 360s also got this error?....how nice of MS to address it after nearly 4 years...

jasonnc80 said:
MikeB said:

@ nightsurge

E-74 was never anywhere near as common as the RRoD was.

Yet it's common:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=E-74+360

@ eliasg

IMO the United Stated should up default warranty for consumer electronics up to 3 years, like is the case for the EU.

Of course this overheating problem is relatively far less common:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22yellow%20light%22+PS3

The PS3 seems to endure mainly 2 far more rare (compared to RRoD, E-74 and disc scratching) hardware failures. 1) Overheating, mostly with regard to old units 2) drive failure seems to be affecting mainly newer units (maybe up to 50% of cases, just a dirty lens)

I am sure Wiis have failed as well, but IMO the 360 situation is extra-ordinary.

You're seriously not using Google search results to show how "big" of an issue it is are you???

Here type in E-25 360 or any other imaginary number and see the results you get.  Wow 26 million hits, must be a new epidemic lol

But hey anyone can manipulate the system just like you did to get whatever results you like.

Oh wow we can do it for the PS3 too!!! http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=yellow+light+ps3&btnG=Search vs your "proof"

Seriously????????

Thankfully you beat me to it.  Unfortunately MikeB loves to jump on the 360 conspiracy train (such as the NXE changing the system to report E74 instead of RRoD).

Also, I would estimate that the repair cost per console is ~$50, which means, like you said, they can "repair" 20 million consoles before running out of that budget.  If 33% of them failed, that's roughly 10 million.  The rest of the failures were usually refurbs that didn't get appropriate repairs the first time and resulted in, say, another ~$25 repair cost.  Since very few of us have had RRoD mutliple times, and only a select few above that have had it 3 times or more, I'd say they still have plenty of that 1 billion left to cover any additional costs still coming in.

Oh look, if I type in "dead PS3" I get 34 million results!  Dead PS3's must be uber common!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dead+ps3&btnG=Search

Around the Network
scottie said:
Zkuq, that doesn't really make sense

As an example, the software developers might say
"Alright, if there is no communication between the harddrive and the motherboard, we want the 360 to output E34. If there is not enough power coming in to run everything, output E35 (and so on)"

The PS3 and Wii will no doubt have a similar set of definitions. It's not as if E74 is a specific thing that MS knew would happen - clearly there're at least 74 of these potential errors. It just so happened that this one was more probable than the others

What I meant is that how common a problem is shouldn't affect the way it's handled. I'd say you missed my point. Oh, and it does make sense to me, even if you don't agree with me.

Microsoft stepping to the plate as usual.

People complain of YLOD for their PS3 and what do they get? A Nice $150 bill.

Nintendo should step it up to.

Also why does the problem have to be widespread for a company to repair it? A defect is a defect.

It's just that simple.

@ MonstaMack

Also why does the problem have to be widespread for a company to repair it? A defect is a defect.

It's very difficult for a sole individual to sue Microsoft over a relatively cheap luxury item, they just deny issues (may claim it's your own fault, like moving the console, etc) and it usually would cost way too much time and money for an individual to take proper action. That's why these Class Action Lawsuits regarding RRoD and E74 (and maybe disc scratching in the future) seem to be far more effective.

Also consider the PR damage, surely Microsoft didn't want to have court testimonials of its employees out in the open declaring things such as Microsoft knowingly misled its consumers.

I think in normal situations it's wrong to put full blame with the manufacturer though, there are also companies who sold these products knowing full well it had problems well beyond industry standards. That's why in the EU, the retailer will have to handle these issues with the manufacturer instead of the consumer.

If for example a European PS3 fails without any wrongdoing by the consumer, the problem must be fixed by the retailer without expense to the customer the first 3 years. After this for a couple of years they are still liable for selling you a faulty product, but to a lesser extend as the user has had his money's worth of usage. They can for example opt for partial repair costs payment, provide a refurb replacement, partial money back, etc.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:

@ MonstaMack

It's very difficult for a sole individual to sue Microsoft over a relatively cheap luxury item, they just deny issues (may claim it's your own fault, like moving the console, etc) and it usually would cost way too much time and money for an individual to take proper action. That's why these Class Action Lawsuits regarding RRoD and E74 (and maybe disc scratching in the future) seem to be far more effective.

Also consider the PR damage, surely Microsoft didn't want to have court testimonials of its employees out in the open declaring things such as Microsoft knowingly misled its consumers.

I think in normal situations it's wrong to put full blame with the manufacturer though, there are also companies who sold these products knowing full well it had problems well beyond industry standards. That's why in the EU, the retailer will have to handle these issues with the manufacturer instead of the consumer.

If for example a European PS3 fails without any wrongdoing by the consumer, the problem must be fixed by the retailer without expense to the customer the first 3 years. After this for a couple of years they are still liable for selling you a faulty product, but to a lesser extend as the user has had his money's worth of usage. They can for example opt for partial repair costs payment, provide a refurb replacement, partial money back, etc.

Look guys, MikeB ignored everything we shoved in his face to pick off one sentence to make an entire, long, bash the 360 post.

Consider the PR damage, MikeB.  Surely Sony doesn't want their execs spinning every negative thing to somehow show PS3's favor, and surely Sony doesn't want all those articles about the PS3 being too expensive and going to go extinct.

And surely Sony doesn't want some retard named MikeB trying to single handedly save the PS3 with his open fanboy posts!

Also, of all the class action lawsuits filed against Microsoft because of the 360, none of them have won.

I can't wait till he quotes one sentence of this post I just made to make another long bash the 360 post out of!  You give me hours of entertainment, MikeB.  Keep it up!  Oh and seriously, are you and Rpruett the same account?  You guys both seem so alike.

I never quote/reply to his posts for that reason. A moral victory for him I suppose.

It's just that simple.