By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA Sports: "Can't Port Down To Wii"

Esa-Petteri said:
Soleron said:
What if they ported Super Mario Galaxy (I know they wouldn't) to the 360 or PS3. It wouldn't need a graphical upgrade as the graphics already suit the game perfectly, and it WOULD be the best game on the system.

It would not be even close to being the best game on 360.

I realise gamerankings is a not perfect, but SMG is rated higher than all current 360 games. Any other metric of 'best' is subjective and therefore we could disagree forever. Just out of interest though, in your opinion what does SMG do that other games do better?

Around the Network
Esa-Petteri said:
bazmeistergen said:
Esa-Petteri said:
I would not buy a game which is made for wii and ported up to 360.

Even if it was the best game on 360?

It would not be the best game on 360. :)

It would be the best football game on the 360.  No one else has the teams liscense.

Im very much impressed with EA this year. They're bringing us need for speed nitro, boom blox 2, dead space: extraction, grand slam tennis and what will be the definitive golf game in tiger woods 10.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Porting up from the technicaly weakest console made sense when power difference between the consoles were small.

The XBOX 360 & PS3 are at the very least 2-3X more powerful than the Wii ( this is just a guess , in reality they are  much more powerful) Porting games from the Wii would bring about a standard the the HD gamer wouldn't respond well to.

I think developers who ported from the Wii would loose a competetive edge against those who developed for HD , it's not financialy viable IMO .

Soleron said:
Esa-Petteri said:
Soleron said:
What if they ported Super Mario Galaxy (I know they wouldn't) to the 360 or PS3. It wouldn't need a graphical upgrade as the graphics already suit the game perfectly, and it WOULD be the best game on the system.

It would not be even close to being the best game on 360.

I realise gamerankings is a not perfect, but SMG is rated higher than all current 360 games. Any other metric of 'best' is subjective and therefore we could disagree forever. Just out of interest though, in your opinion what does SMG do that other games do better?

Metacritic has GTA IV higher than SMG. ;P

But what was your point? It is my personal opinion (most likely shared with a lot of 360-owners). People just like different games. For me it is what smg does not do. I don't like platformers at all, so there is little point for me to compare smg to other platformers. Let's just say that... a lot of games offer better gameplay than smg. :O

Around the Network

Its irrelevant. EA needs to support Wii in some way. They can spin as much as they want but at the end they have to support the generation leader. Can't ignore 50% market share in order to survive.

Basically, this is close to what N'Gai Croal had said -- port from the Wii to the others.
Going the other way around does not make sense.

However, besides graphical processing power, there is another big difference between the consoles -- control interface.

Thus, without getting into a debate about what is better than neither side can win because there are those who will not listed to reason, it is essential to realize that the only way to go is to build things from the group up. And given the almost perfect market segmentation (roughly 50% PS3/Xbox 360, 50% Wii) that makes sense.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

scottie said:
Good to hear EA making sensible comments like this, and I think it really is showing in their offerings for the Wii.

As for porting 'up' to the PS360. That is equally a bad thing to do. Wii Sports would be a terrible PS360 game

i think u can do bowling just right with the sixaxis lol, i think boxing would work to an extend.

How about developing all the games at the same time like Activision dows with Guitar Hero and Call of Duty?

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Jo21 said:
scottie said:
Good to hear EA making sensible comments like this, and I think it really is showing in their offerings for the Wii.

As for porting 'up' to the PS360. That is equally a bad thing to do. Wii Sports would be a terrible PS360 game

i think u can do bowling just right with the sixaxis lol, i think boxing would work to an extend.

Sixaxis motion-sensing is inferior to Wiimote capabilities ;)