By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will PS3 ever take over 360?

El Duderino said:

Not a snowmans chance in hell.

I'll have you know that some people believe hell is cold, not fire and brimstone

Around the Network
Lost tears of Kain said:
makingmusic476 said:
The ps3 has managed to keep pace with the 360 despite having piss-poor games and a $150 higher price tag. Once the price drops to $400 and the "big four" (GT5, MGS4, FFXIII, and Tekken 6, all 4 mil. plus sellers on average) hit next year, the ps3 will begin to dominate the 360 in sales across the globe.

Ok, but once the rodd issue is fixed, wont that that boost sales?

Wont having huge games this fall boost 360 as well?

Seriously guys, your saying that ps3 will dominate because of games, but every system has fantastic games and to say one console will get the true boost is just stupid.

Also if ps3 drops price to 400 (not for a long time) you can bet microsoft will drop to 250 or less

There's a difference between the ps3's and the 360's lineup next year.  Many of the games (notably the four I mentioned) in the ps3's lineup are proven franchises with large fanbases.  These are more likely to sell systems than unproven new IPs like Alan Wake.  Sure, those games will probably be good, if not great, but they will do no more for sales than Shadow of the Colossus and Okami did for the ps2.

Also, the ps3 is going from almost NO games (and thus no reason to buy the system) to many great games in almost every genre.  The 360 is going from a library of many great games, to a library of even more good games.  While that's great for somebody that already owns the system, it doesn't add much incentive to buy one over and above the games that have already been released.  In other words, the people who wanted a 360 for it's good library would've gotten one by now, especially since they can be had for as low as $230 at some places.  Yet, for some strange reason, most people have yet to purchase the system.  Whether they're waiting for Halo 3, waiting for the RRoD to disappear, or just don't want the system, I can't say.

As for the RRoD, I think it's a bit too late for that.  Even if they do finally solve all the hardware issues, the 360 has already been given the stigma of a faulty piece of hardware.  It's reputation has been hurt and it will be hard to overcome that.  Sure, hardcore gamers like us will learn pretty quickly when the problems are over, but more casual gamers who pick up their systems 2+ years into the generation aren't going to find out about it for a long time.

Dolla Dolla said:
El Duderino said:

Not a snowmans chance in hell.

I'll have you know that some people believe hell is cold, not fire and brimstone

It´s just a figure of speach, I was going to write "Not  a hindu´s chance in heaven." but I did´t want to insult anyones religion so I went with the stereotype hot-hell remark, personally I think everyone has his/her own hell since everyone has a complex range of fears and hopes. Once in San Francisco years ago a manic street preacher (who was just a bum on a bad trip....I hope) told me hell was like a post office where you get put in a box and stay in there forever.... that idea really scared me at the time, but I was young and easily impressed.

libellule said:
so if you say PS3 will dominate : u are a fanboy

so if you say Xbox360 will stay 2nd : u are logic

so logical,
the same people that believe the history repeats itself and that make preddiction sales using current sales rate (lol)

PS3 will dominate, it will take time, but it will dominate

I guess El Duderino is right.  I didn't say anything about either console dominating and I didn't say one or the other would win.  What I was trying to do is to get people to use their brain and look objectively at the data and realize what it is going to take for the PS3 to pass the 360 using current sales trends.  Outside of current sales trends there is nothing else you can use that ins't pure speculation.  Neither console is dominating the other right now with the exception of Japan.  The 360 doesn't appear to have a chance there.

I'm just going to let the clueless continue to believe what they want and not try any more.  If I have something truly relevant to add, maybe I will, but to try to argue with facts, as El Dude stated, is pointless here and on pretty much every forum out there.

As for your last comment, "PS3 will dominate".  That's purely your opinion and grossly optimistic.  My opinion surrounds the current KNOWN sales (after all, known>unknown) and what the marketplace appears to be doing through this holiday.  Beyond that, anything can change.  BUT, purely on the math, the PS3 *MUST* outsell the 360 by approximately 500,000 units per month to pass the 360 in one year's time.  I'm just not seeing it in the sales trends but apparently you know more than the numbers and trends currently show.  Please enlighten us as to exactly how you predict this will happen.  (hint: some numbers to back your assertions would remove the nagging doubt that you don't, in fact, have a clue.)

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

makingmusic476 said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
makingmusic476 said:
The ps3 has managed to keep pace with the 360 despite having piss-poor games and a $150 higher price tag. Once the price drops to $400 and the "big four" (GT5, MGS4, FFXIII, and Tekken 6, all 4 mil. plus sellers on average) hit next year, the ps3 will begin to dominate the 360 in sales across the globe.

Ok, but once the rodd issue is fixed, wont that that boost sales?

Wont having huge games this fall boost 360 as well?

Seriously guys, your saying that ps3 will dominate because of games, but every system has fantastic games and to say one console will get the true boost is just stupid.

Also if ps3 drops price to 400 (not for a long time) you can bet microsoft will drop to 250 or less

There's a difference between the ps3's and the 360's lineup next year.  Many of the games (notably the four I mentioned) in the ps3's lineup are proven franchises with large fanbases.  These are more likely to sell systems than unproven new IPs like Alan Wake.  Sure, those games will probably be good, if not great, but they will do no more for sales than Shadow of the Colossus and Okami did for the ps2.

Also, the ps3 is going from almost NO games (and thus no reason to buy the system) to many great games in almost every genre.  The 360 is going from a library of many great games, to a library of even more good games.  While that's great for somebody that already owns the system, it doesn't add much incentive to buy one over and above the games that have already been released.  In other words, the people who wanted a 360 for it's good library would've gotten one by now, especially since they can be had for as low as $230 at some places.  Yet, for some strange reason, most people have yet to purchase the system.  Whether they're waiting for Halo 3, waiting for the RRoD to disappear, or just don't want the system, I can't say.

As for the RRoD, I think it's a bit too late for that.  Even if they do finally solve all the hardware issues, the 360 has already been given the stigma of a faulty piece of hardware.  It's reputation has been hurt and it will be hard to overcome that.  Sure, hardcore gamers like us will learn pretty quickly when the problems are over, but more casual gamers who pick up their systems 2+ years into the generation aren't going to find out about it for a long time.

I dont think it had that great of library, but i believe it is going to have the diverse library your talking about this holiday. I think fixing the Rrod issue will help, i have a friend or two that say they will buy one once its fixed, while not much will certainly help. Again i think people are either overestimating the ps3 sales of games or underestimating the boost for 360 and wii. While i do agree ps3 is more likely to get a bigger boost, will it be THAT big?

Also couldnt people waiting for ff 13 etc also posess the console? that i find hard to believe, but i also find that for halo 3 as well, and Mario galaxy.

In all i know ps3 is more likely to get the biggest boost, but i still think its price. If they can lower their price and produce these games then yes it will def dominate, but the question is how long? will it be to late?

Again i think it comes down to price, besides the people that are actually going to buy the console for the games that are big franchises on the ps3, most of them will go to a store and will try to decide. They will look, they see a possible 400-500 ps3 a 200-300 xbox and a 100-200 wii. Now unless they are true fans of a series, again they are more likely to go to wii (why i think its so popular, its cheap and fun) or 360 (next gen, not as good as ps3 but better library, cheaper then ps3) or a ps3 (great console, expensive, but has some fantastic games.)

Again i think it comes down to price, look back in history and alot of times price is the deciding factor, it just comes down to how fast and how low will sony go with the ps3

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network

No one can predict the future, no one can say halo 3 will have a huge boost, or that any of the fantastic sony games will boost it, no one knows, im just going on what i think, but of course there is a good chance im wrong, or that everyone is wrong, and that ps3 will start selling 1 million consoles a month, because mgs4 is out, or maybe halo 3 will sell 5 million consoles, who knows

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Lost tears of Kain said:
No one can predict the future, no one can say halo 3 will have a huge boost, or that any of the fantastic sony games will boost it, no one knows, im just going on what i think, but of course there is a good chance im wrong, or that everyone is wrong, and that ps3 will start selling 1 million consoles a month, because mgs4 is out, or maybe halo 3 will sell 5 million consoles, who knows

Well, the term "system seller" had to come from somewhere.  Look how much the ps3's sales spiked in Japan just from Hot Shots Golf 5.  Look how much Gears did for the 360 last holiday season just because of it's flashy visuals and a massive marketing campaign from MS.

all those that predicts ps3 will over take the 360 next november.

I got some questions for you, by over taking, do you mean there are more ps3 than 360 ww?

when the ps3 overtakes the 360, what will be the price of the two consoles?

I hope you guys predict with logic rather than fanboyism.

The PS3 will pass the 360 in 2009, most likely towards the end of the year.

In 2008, it will simply begin the process.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

makingmusic476 said:
Lost tears of Kain said:

Well, the term "system seller" had to come from somewhere.  Look how much the ps3's sales spiked in Japan just from Hot Shots Golf 5.  Look how much Gears did for the 360 last holiday season just because of it's flashy visuals and a massive marketing campaign from MS.

Of course there are system sellers, but when i am stating what i am, im stating how much will each one boost it? Im saying which games will be the true system sellers and how much, that no one knows.