By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is there too much violence in video game the theacher ask ?

Do you think there is too much violence in video game ? That the question I ask to my students today. I'm a french teacher in a secondary school ( teaching moral class) and we made a debate about this question.

We also try to think about the impact the video game could have in our live (violent video game...). A lot of my students are playing games like Halo, Killzone and GTA. With all the violence we've seen in our society, I'm wondering if there a couple of parent who doens't do there job. I'm a little bit septical about the good side of this.

What do you think of this VGChartz lovers ?

Around the Network

Well, for people with mental issues, violent video games can cause further problems. But for normal people, who have no issues with reality or urges to do violence, it is perfecty fine.

Some people's violence would be a lot worse if there wasn't video games for them to get their jollies out on.

Murder simulators ftw.

In my opinion
there is too much violence in movies too. As long as the 10 year olds don't get to see Friday the 13'th or what not, it's ok.
There is too much violence only if they get to play the game/watch the movie.
Of course, a video game is much more than a movie, you are the character, not just watching one, so I guess the influences are far greater. That's why, parents, mind what they play as long as you can.
There are far more non violent games out there, mostly aimed at kids and families with kids, so have them play those, or better yet, play it with them.
They'll do whatever they want anyway as soon as they can think for themselves. And then it's up to them.

Not too much violence, but not enough parenting and understanding of games. BTW, how old are we talking? as I think most 15-16 yr olds are OK to play those games.

I think violence is games in fine as long as there is a context (Call of Duty, general war games, GTAIV) or is comical/cartoony (No More Heroes, GTA3-San Andreas).

There isn't too much violence in video games. There's too many retards out there that make things seem like they're a big problem when they're really not.

Around the Network

There are only a few games what are TOO violent, Manhunt 2 for example...
But these games have the 18 classification, so i really dont see peoples problem with this.

People blow this way out of proportion though.

When you have people like the devs woking on God of War 3 saying that their game will have detailed animations of the mosters skins coming off...yeah i think that there's a bit too much violence in gaming right now.

Last gen brutal games like Mark of Kri where quite okay since they were show in cartoony graphics, but this time around everyone is trying to make a realisticaly looking killing simulation and as far as i'm concerned, that's going a little too far.

If i lose access to this profile as well....I'm done with this site.....You've been warned!!.....whoever you are...

Happy Wii60 user. Me and my family are a perfect example of where hardcore meets casual and together mutate into something awesome.

Scoobes said:
Not too much violence, but not enough parenting and understanding of games. BTW, how old are we talking? as I think most 15-16 yr olds are OK to play those games.

I think violence is games in fine as long as there is a context (Call of Duty, general war games, GTAIV) or is comical/cartoony (No More Heroes, GTA3-San Andreas).

agree with that : parents has huge responsability but seems not to care about theres childrens.

There's actually too little violence in video games. There should be more blood and limbs getting cut off. Violence in video games can do no harm IMO. Violence in video games is only a good thing because it's great entertainment plus it lets u get ur aggressions out.

It's the fault of negligent parents for not teaching fantasy from reality. The problem is not that games teach people how to kill, but that they get desensitized to violence in real life to the point where it doesn't affect them as much.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."