By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP 2 coming pre-Christmas will be an iPhone beater

Sony's new compact handheld console will feature sliding touchscreen and dual analogue sticks Product: Playstation Portable 2 | Publisher: Sony by Chris James Whether it's labelled the PSP 4000 or the PSP 2, there's been a lot of rumour recently about an imminent successor to Sony's handheld console.

There's also been a lot of talk about how Sony might react to the competition on offer from the phenomenal success of Apple's iPhone and iPod touch. Unsurprisingly the console manufacturer has been comparatively mute in both cases, denying the existence of a PSP sequel and any threat from Apple. However, having spoken to an insider source – who's not Dave Perry, but is a developer working on the new hardware – we can reveal that the new handheld will arrive before Christmas and will be far more similar to the iPhone than the current device. Like Apple's newcomer, the PSP 2 will be a compact device with a large touchscreen.

However, where Sony's machine has the edge is when the touchscreen is slid open as it reveals familiar buttons, D-pads and – praise the Lord of Handhelds – dual analogue controls. This new format should allow for both existing hardcore console titles as well as simpler touchscreen games along the lines of those currently available in the App Store. And like the App Store, (and in the absence of UMD), the games will all be available for digital download via the PlayStation Store. Although this hasn't been confirmed, our speculation is that Sony's initial plans for a small upgrade to a PSP 4000 model have since been accelerated by the success of the iPhone and arrival of Nintendo DSi. As yet those are all the details we have, but we understand the full specs and pricing will be unveiled at E3 in June.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/Playstation+Portable+2/news.asp?c=12612

PLAYSTATION® is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network

This will never happen. Sony does not have the brand recognition or appeal that Apple currently has in mobile technology.

Apple has a tendency to create trendy, user-friendly, efficient devices. I would purchase an iPhone if it was available on the Verizon network.

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

Next time post a link to the source.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/Playstation+Portable+2/news.asp?c=12612

--

My take:

This is Nintendo and Apple's best dream. Sony could easily have got back into it by tying the PS2 and PS3 to the PSP better in terms of software and branding, and releasing lots of new games from all the IP they're meant to have, and making it more attractive to casual users via new titles that rip off e.g. Brain Training and Nintendogs. It wouldn't be honourable but it would work.

Instead, they are breaking compatibility? They'll be starting from zero install base and zero developer base during a time when launching new stuff is risky, and they still have no must-have titles to persuade non-PSP1 owners to get into PSP2. Sure, the majority of PSP1 users will upgrade. But that will leave them in a worse position than today when DSi (and iPhone) have years left in the lifecycle.

No..... just no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

No UMD= fail.
They can switch to PSN for new games but they must keep UMD drive for keeping BC with current titles. Otherwise most people will not buy it.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network
Zlejedi said:
No UMD= fail.
They can switch to PSN for new games but they must keep UMD drive for keeping BC with current titles. Otherwise most people will not buy it.

I'll buy it, I remember pre-ordering my PSP back in what, 2005? I loved it. Sometimes backwards compatability isn't always the best idea. The DS will become outdated eventually, along with the carts. I personally thought the UMD's were a bad choice for the original PSP at first, but now looking at it, it was very smart. Now, with no UMD in the new PSP2, I'm very curious as to how they'll do it. I'm assuming PSN.

The Halo francise is the most overrated bland game to ever hit the console market. It provides a bad name to all FPS that even showed effort at creating an original entertaining plot.

I probably have more ps3 games than you :/ 

IPHONE KILLER not beater

CaseyDDR said:
Zlejedi said:
No UMD= fail.

I'll buy it, I remember pre-ordering my PSP back in what, 2005? I loved it. Sometimes backwards compatability isn't always the best idea. The DS will become outdated eventually, along with the carts. I personally thought the UMD's were a bad choice for the original PSP at first, but now looking at it, it was very smart. Now, with no UMD in the new PSP2, I'm very curious as to how they'll do it. I'm assuming PSN.

I assume Sony will state, "Backwards compatibility is last gen," like when they said the same thing with rumble.

At this point, keeping the UMD drive in future PSP iterations is a liability in terms of form factor, production cost, and battery life. I question if all of this info is correct, but a umd-less PSP or PSP 2 seems pretty much inevitable. Games could be sold on read-only memory cards for a small premium, in addition to digital distribution.

I'd love to see a PSP phone. Like I mentioned before, i'd speculate there'll be something with a phone and something without, akin to the ipod touch/iphone. Infact, even though I'm in need of a new cellphone, i'm holding off until E3 to see if there'll be some juicy announcements.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

I really hope Sony makes a Cell phone version. I have been waitin g for years for a Cell phone to come out that is worth while. The iPhone has been good to me, but it just falls short of what I am looking for.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL