By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DSi first impressions (and open for general discussion)

Any preliminary numbers? I want to know how big the launch was. Considering it is the most pre-ordered console ever so far.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Thanks for the sharing. I plan to get it at the end of april.

Go buy Metroid OTHER M!

Wii code: 6775-1034-2238-1634

PSN: birdie93      XBL: luthor93

3DS: 3909-7597-9889

You can add me, I won't stop you!

My website: www.fight4custom.com

I got one on Friday (UK) so I can weigh in with some impressions having put my DSi through its paces for the last couple of days.

Warioware: Snapped: A fun little game, it reminds me of the eyetoy, although I also had some difficulty with it. The camera works with contrast, so you need to have a wall which is totally different to your skin or hair colour - my flat is white/beige so I struggled to make it work, and had to resort to playing in front of a red curtain. When it works though, it's fun, and it revels in replaying some images of you looking silly at the end of the minigame rounds. Though you can't really 'lose', which makes it fun, but nothing too hardcore; no high scores or anything. A camera-in-games tech demo dressed in WarioWare clothing, but still quite fun.

DSi Key points: The DSi itself is very impressive. The pixellation is not noticeable- it really isn't, but the screen size is, it feels 'roomier', going back to a Lite immediately feels cramped in comparison. The D-Pad is flatter, 'clickier' and more responsive, and the points between it are more defined, so it won't go up instead of right, etc, ever.

The Photo and Music Tools: are a lot of fun. No, you won't be using it for a serious camera or mp3 player (although with a decent SD card, the mp3 playback is very capable), but the editing software is diverse and accomplished - more than just a throwaway extra.

The screens: Big, clear and very bright. If you do a google image search on the web browser (which is slow but decent), you'll see just how epically crisp, sharp and colourful the screens are. They're a total marvel.

My Blog, Please Have A Read:

http://Proseandconsoles.blogspot.com

There's no rescaling going on; the screen may be bigger, but it's the exact same resolution.

Rescaling only happens when the screen is a different resolution than what's being displayed on it. It's like having a 1280x1024 monitor and playing Commander Keen - a 640x480 (VGA, 0.3 MP) game - fullscreen.

However, if you have two monitors - one is 19 inches, the other 17 inches - but they both do 1280x1024 native, the 19-inch screen doesn't rescale from the 17-inch because they both do the exact same resolution. They may be different sizes, but they're the same resolution.

SW-5120-1900-6153

RCTjunkie said:
Thank you!
CAn't wait to get one. I just put my PS3 on Craigslist

0_0

Nooooo!

edit: Well...goodluck selling it. Hope you get a bucket load of $$$ for it. They're worth it. :)

Person 1: Does Valkyria Chronicles have trophies?
Person 2:  No.
Person 1: Forget it. I'm not buying it.
Person 2: Wait! It's amazing! Unique, charming, drop dead gorgeous... Hello?

Around the Network

I picked mine up this afternoon, looking forward to putting it to the test over the next week.

The only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth.

This is from a person who had a DS Phat:

The DSi is an awesome system and it was a must buy for me. Even without popping in a game cartridge, there was so much to do. First, I started with the camera. Although the quality wasn't amazing it was still good for my purposes. The lenses that Nintendo offered for the camera were fun to play around with and it is definitely something you can't find anywhere. Then, I went on to the sound by recording a song via the microphone. The sound was surprisingly good and crisp and I could definitely hear the better sound. Then, I put a few songs onto the SD card (AAC format) and like I said, the sound quality was awesome. I haven't gone onto the shop, but I'm planning to soon to redeem my 1000 free points. (Hopefully something like VC for DSi will be announced soon) I also have to mention that the matte finish is nice and the DSi feels real good in my hands. The screens are only a little bigger but the diff is noticeable when playing. Even though the resolution is the same, the image was still good, not pixelized . All in all, the DSi is a great system and I would definitely recommend you buy it. (esp. if you have a DS Phat or you don't have one at all) If Nintendo is planning to release DSi exclusives, (which they said they were) then you should go out and get yourself a DSi now before everyone wants one.

You play DS during church!?!! There's a special place in ... for you. : P

I pick it up today, I have 3 DS in the house trade one of them in and so far it's awesome. At first the lack of GBA cartridge slot kind of bother me but then I realize I hardly play GBA games anymore anyway and don't remember when I last put in GBA cartridge.

The bigger screen really stand out to my surprise compare to the Lite.

sounds good, i bought one from amazon today i can't wait to get my hands on it.

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

richardhutnik said:
RCTjunkie said:
Thank you!
CAn't wait to get one. I just put my PS3 on Craigslist

I would NOT sell a 60GB PS3 to get money for this.  It is cool and all that, but the 60GB PS3 is a 60GB PS3.

Isn't that the problem? It's still a 60GB PS3!

;)

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!