By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DSi first impressions (and open for general discussion)

I picked mine up yesterday and so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Initial thoughts are below:

Pros:
-The Camera's are actually a lot better than I thought they would, much better then the one in my cell phone
-Sound quality seems a little crisper
-Screens are nice and bright and I think noticeably larger
-Music player worked quite well, is fast and the visualizations are kick ass
-Downloads through the shop were a lot faster then I thought they would be.
-Browser is actually a lot faster then I thought it would be.
-Brightness adjust and volume buttons are a nice upgrade from the DS Lite

-I like the clicky buttons a lot better then the smoother ones of the DS Lite

Cons:
-Lack of flash + jscript support in the browser means I don't see myself using it much in the future
-Lack of mp3 playback is a minor gripe, but converting my collection took little time.
-Setting up the wireless profiles was strange with the first 3 being WEP only, and the 3 'advanced' profiles supporting WPA/2. I guess this is to support multiplayer in regular DS titles, but I still found it a little confusing at first.

Things I'd like to see in the future via firmware updates(if at all possible):
-Video playback
-Playable content off the SD card slot(not an issue now, but in the future)
-Mp3 playback(again, only a minor annoyance)
-Being able to send pics/content from DSi->DSi or DSi->Wii Note: This might be a feature already and I just haven't discovered it yet

All in all, I'd say I'm pretty happy with it so far, off my initial impressions. Can't wait to see what kind of new titles come into the shop and what firmware upgrades come in the future.

The only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth.