By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Ninja Blade gets a 67?

Honestly I'm surprised anyone who has played the demo of this game would hype it at all. The cutscene-action events, intermixed with some pretty basic action hack and slash, really turned me off.

I love action games, and this one... I just couldn't enjoy it. I hate the cutscenes -- there's no action gamer skill necessary... just memorization after you screw up the first few times. I hate that. And yes, the boss fights in God of War that include that also tire me, although at least the reward is spectacular. In Ninja Blade, the reward is getting to the next canned fight sequence or Simon sequence.  Give me blocking, parrying, dodging, and a good slicing at the end, and THAT is action game glory (Ninja Gaiden.. I love that stuff). This is one of the most egregious "'press A'...'press X... 'press A'.. oops restart and remember this time" Simon games I have ever played (the demo of).

Do gamers really enjoy that these days? Its kind of like putting a shooter on rails, to me -- Ninja Blade seems like an action game railer. And yeah, I couldn't stand Dragon's Lair, as a kid, too. Or DVD games.

Speaking of parrying and slicing, I need to get back to Fable now.  So awesome.

Around the Network
Skeeuk said:

NINJA BLADE WAS A HYPED GAME

but unfortunatly its fallen short because of to many qte sequences, bad design choice if anything.

if june rolls by and only halo wars and ninja blade have been released in 1st 6 months of this year, then thats bad for gamers.

Bookmarking this because I know when GoW3 comes out it'll be another QTEfest like the previous two and you'll be singing and cheering at GoW3 QTEs.

From the demo the game appeared to be a decent rent, maybe a bargain buy. 

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Procrastinato said:

Honestly I'm surprised anyone who has played the demo of this game would hype it at all. The cutscene-action events, intermixed with some pretty basic action hack and slash, really turned me off.

I love action games, and this one... I just couldn't enjoy it. I hate the cutscenes -- there's no action gamer skill necessary... just memorization after you screw up the first few times. I hate that. And yes, the boss fights in God of War that include that also tire me, although at least the reward is spectacular. In Ninja Blade, the reward is getting to the next canned fight sequence or Simon sequence.  Give me blocking, parrying, dodging, and a good slicing at the end, and THAT is action game glory (Ninja Gaiden.. I love that stuff). This is one of the most egregious "'press A'...'press X... 'press A'.. oops restart and remember this time" Simon games I have ever played (the demo of).

Do gamers really enjoy that these days? Its kind of like putting a shooter on rails, to me -- Ninja Blade seems like an action game railer. And yeah, I couldn't stand Dragon's Lair, as a kid, too. Or DVD games.

Don't hold your breath for Heavy Rain then.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Procrastinato said:

I have to admit, I am concerned about replay value in Heavy Rain. Once you work out how to beat a section, its locked in and no amount of unremembering will help. Yes its a word....

Grooski said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Procrastinato said:

I have to admit, I am concerned about replay value in Heavy Rain. Once you work out how to beat a section, its locked in and no amount of unremembering will help. Yes its a word....

Perhaps theres another way to look at it. Since it portrays itself as an interactive movie, perhaps as the intensity of the experience is higher you could consider it to be replayable that way. Movies are the exact same short experience every time and yet people still own a selection of movies.

Tease.