By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sony: "DSi ignores significant gamer groups, is only for kids"

DrYon said:

And people laugh at me for saying Sony was spreading this 'Nintendo is for kids' propaganda back in the N64 days and repeated to the death by Sony fanboys.

uhm they weren't before, its alwaqys the people who are behind that try to make fun or take shots at the people ahead.

Around the Network

You know, Sony keeps working so hard to really improve their image and right when they finally get to the point where people are liking them again and they're not running around being cunts, someone says something like that.

If by "Significant" you mean the 5% of hardcore gamers out there then sure sony,keep marketing to them.

The PSP lacks a second analog stick and doesn't have a touch screen. I am curious exactly what they are trying to say. I picked up a DSi tonight, and can say that this is hardly a "kiddie" system. The camera, ability to store music, download, and the screen being larger, and ability to down apps like an iPod means that the DS is now a more mature unit.

Sorry you are sucking badly Sony in the handheld arena.

Only for kids? GTA: ChinaTown Wars. Discussion Over.

Around the Network

DSi is for millionaries that don't know the word, shame

http://dancewata.ytmnd.com/

Pachi, pachi, pachi, pachi

DSi FTW!

Wichdog69

Lets pick this apart shall we?

"If Nintendo is really committed to reaching a broader, more diverse audience of gamers beyond the “kids” market that they’ve always engaged, there isn’t much new with the DSi to support that."

Ok this is subjective really so lets continue on..

"Significant gamer demographic groups are being ignored, and there continues to be limited opportunities for games from external publishers to do well on the DSi."

Which gamer demographics exactly? Third parties release the most games on DS for a reason Sony

"Compare that with the PSP platform, where we have many blockbuster franchises from our publishing partners launching this year, representing a wide variety of genres and targeting diverse demographics (After bashing DSi for not focusing on gamers?). Games such as Rock Band Unplugged from MTV Games, Assassin’s Creed from Ubisoft, Dissidia Final Fantasy from Square Enix, and Hannah Montana from Disney demonstrate the commitment that publishers have to the PSP."

RockBand? DS has the better selling Guitar Hero franchise
Assasins Creed? Doesn't DS already have that?
Final Fantasy? I can't count the number of RPG's the DS has including FF and the up coming and more important DQIX
Hannah Montana? DS not only has Hanna Montana but a whole Imagine range from Ubisoft that supports that demographic not to mention Petz etc

"From our own first-party studios, we’re launching unique versions of LittleBigPlanet and MotorStorm"

Well done Sony, they your biggest franchises? DS gets a new Zelda this year

"and we’re also planning a steady stream of downloadable games — both new titles and PSone classics — to add to the content that PSP owners can already purchase wirelessly through PlayStation Store."

So after saying that DSi brings nothing to the 'gamer demographics' you tout the PSP's downloadable games? Are they aware that DSiWare is a new service for the handheld?

"SCEA director of hardware marketing John Koller" (is a nub)

Seriously, DS has the best lineup of any current generation console and is very profitable for third parties with the average game only needing 100,000 in unit sales at full price to begin to see a profit!

What DSi does is broaden the interactivity aspect of the console even further, it feels you, hears you and now even sees you! What it doesn't do is try to be a multimedia device although it can play music and take photos, it's about playing with them. It's the closest to PSP that DS has gotten and they say it doesn't add anything DS had to the very demographic that PSP is targeted?

What a joke

hmmm......let me fix this bit of PR spin:

"If Sony is really committed to reaching a broader, more diverse audience of gamers beyond the “18-25 year old” market that they’ve always engaged, there isn’t much new with the PSP to support that. Significant gamer demographic groups are being ignored, and there continues to be limited opportunities for games from external publishers to do well on the PSP. Compare that with the DS platform, where we have many blockbuster franchises from our publishing partners launching this year, representing a wide variety of genres and targeting diverse demographics."

thats better

I really didn't need a link to know that Sony said it. They always say it. It is about the only argument they give against Nintendo.  It's because mature is the only thing Sony has that isn't in question. 

The only reason that it would work is that teenage boys, Sony's primary target audience, and extremely testosterone oriented "gotta blow up everything I see with as much power as possible" (and in many cases so they don't have to think) young adult males, as a secondary yet similar audience, would kill themselves before being seen playing a "kid's game."  Thus they must run as far away from it as possible and of course that would mean, in Sony's world, "get a Playstation."  haha.  Like that is going to make them more of a man.