By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Star Fox Creator: No Wii Star Fox, Wii is a Toy.

@JPL: We may know the different quotes. But i'm still hoping you find the one.

Feeling gratitude and stating the obvious don't contradict each other. The biggest selling point for DKC was its graphics, although, i don't think anyone who played the game can call it bad, or even mediocre, but the decline in sales for sequels indicate that something was lost for the sequels, when the most obvious point is the graphical wow factor (ok, and Donkey Kong).
Graphics generally aren't the reason why games sell, but historically graphical level has had more weigh in the west that they have in Japan.

And, i'm pretty sure Miyamoto wants to keep his customers satisfied, which he tends to do.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

bdbdbd, maybe so, but several of the least powerful systems graphically have dominated sales in the west. I personally like really awesome graphics but it isn't a deal maker for me. Just like I appreciate a great score but will enjoy a game without it. Although I do think framerate is very important and wish sometime devs would scale back the detail to achieve a smoother play. But the only people who seem to go gonzo over graphics are fanboys of whichever system has the best graphics at the time (ex: PS3 owners and Killzone 2) and at that point it becomes important... but overall a game can have the best graphics ever if it doesn't play good, or plays down right bad most people will steer away.

Sometimes I feel these are just misconceptions about the west. Like that all we play are blood drenched sterioded shooters. To the reverse the coin I would say something like Japanese gamers only care about playing games with hour long boring cut-scenes that have overly annoying characters. That doesn't mean its true for all or even most. On that note I sure am enjoying Star Ocean and its long boring cut-scenes and overly annoying characters :P

@JPL: Yeah, aren't generalisations fun.
In general gamers do appreciate the same things and what's most important for all gamers is the gameplay. After all, that's what the games revolve around. But the thing what is appreciated along with gameplay varies a lot. In general japanese have a lot more focus in the characters and atmosphere than westerns do, or a better way to put it would be that the methods used to create them are very different.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

So the creator says "I want to make a space/shooter game"

Fans say "We

Robot: "WHERE IS THE CREATOR?!"

Falco: "What's he saying?!?!"

Around the Network

@ Words Of Wisdom

For one, the actual creator of te StarFox series is Miyamoto, Cuthbert just DEVELOPED the first RELEASED game.

Secondly, while the first StarFox was a success, it didn't sell more or have as much influence as Lylat Wars / SF64.

Third, there is already on-foot battle on the N64 version. It wasn't something that came into the seires during the GC era.

Fourth "can we focus on the fun part?" how is adding more less fun? If you use the same recipe and don't innovate then you're bound to hit a brick wall. Why do you think there are so many FPS games that are GOOD but not GREAT or outstanding? They don't innovate.

Well he didn't make the N64 version, which is the best StarFox hands down, so it doesn't rule out completely the possibility that there will still be a StarFox Wii. Hopefully Namco doesn't pick it up again.

I predict, both StarFox and F-Zero will release for the Wii once Wiimotion+ gains notoriety.

Also, lol at the furry comment. Sadly true...

PSN ID: Sol_Protege     Wii:154209933064989 

@WoW: But this the guy who developed Starfox Command. I don't think he has the right to talk about the lack of fun.

@Pete_Beast: No. Argonaut came into picture in designing polygon based graphics, that Nintendo didn't have experience in, Argonaut was used in programming the title.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

bdbdbd said:
@WoW: But this the guy who developed Starfox Command. I don't think he has the right to talk about the lack of fun.

@Pete_Beast: No. Argonaut came into picture in designing polygon based graphics, that Nintendo didn't have experience in, Argonaut was used in programming the title.

Looking at it from a different perspective, I believe he thinks it won't be "fun" to develop. Maybe he has something against the Wii remote, but that's what I garnered from what he said.

I mean, how could it NOT be fun to play a (theoretically good) Wii version of Star Fox? The controls would be a blast.

@wfz: Depends on what kind the controls would be. Atleas i would be in for flight stick controls.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.