By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are so many people on message boards threatened by PS3?

flagship said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:
Mr.Y said:

I don't feel threatened by it. I might actually get one.

It just seems that PS3 fans are a little delusional sometimes.

I would say that X360 fans are plenty delusional sometimes.  Think about it.

First, it was that the X360 was more powerful than the PS3.

Second, after out this was only working against them, they started pushing that both consoles were equal in power (some STILL hold on to that idea).

Third, now they say we ALL knew the PS3 was more powerful, so let it go.  Or, that the best 1st/2nd party games only look slightly better.

Of course, there was the time when they thought (still think?) a game can't be a lot of fun unless it's on the X360 (like the processors add "fun" to the games).

Then, there is the fact that they seem to think more game sales mean the title is more fun or seriously effects the individual's gameplay experience.

They seem to want the console that's providing the most for the money...to fail for some reason.  And, that's not all.

That seems more delusional to me.

After a decade of rampant Sony fanboyism a lot of people live under the false impression that fanboys and posts like this with vanish from gaming websites with the total failure of the PS3.

Way to avoid dealing with the points listed above your statement.  BTW, I've never owned a Playstation before now.  Your post completely fails.

Around the Network
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:

GT5P, Motorstorm 2, Wipeout HD, Killzone 2, MLB 09: The Show. If you AREN'T knowledge, you will generally bring up multiplatform games as a measure of power (especially with the cost of making a game these days). In case you didn't know, the general goal of a multiplatform game is parity.

The original Xbox was basically a PC. No effort or additional knowledge or time was needed for better visuals. Developers have to fight their lack of true multi-threading knowledge. TRUE multi-threading is the future of gaming. 1st/2nd party PS3 developers had to get past this to make better PS3 games.

No, the general goal of multiplatform games is to offset the costs of development and to reduce risk by releasing a game across as many platforms as is possible; if a developer can increase the texture detail or polygonal detail on one of the consoles while retaining their framerate/resolution, or can increase the framerate/resolution on one platform they will do it ... In most cases in this generation the added detail would cost nothing because the assets aleady exist for the PC port.

The reason why exclusives don't work is because it is entirely subjective on whether Killzone 2 is more graphically impressive than Gears of War 2, and there are countless factors which influence the visuals of the game which are not controlled. Examples of these factors are budget (if you have the money, you can optimize all game assets in the game to improve the overall impressiveness of a game without hurting performance) and developers making tradeoffs to improve one element of a game at the expense of another (for example a racing game with fully deformable cars will not be able to have as efficient of models and will look less impressive with the same polygon detail).

Believe what you want to believe, but you have to admit that any advantage you attribute to the PS3 is pretty pathetic given its year later release date and much higher price tag.

badgenome said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
Skeeuk said:
simple thing is they dont want ps3 to have the best games, because thats the reason people play games for in the first place THE GAMES AND GAMES ONLY.

so instead they just move to attack ps3 sales thats all you hear nowadays that ps3 is in 3rd

Skeeuk complaining about attacking a console?

You admitted you were posting whatever bad 360 news you could find on the microsoft forum just because it bothered you that people liked the 360.

Did he really admit it? Not that it wasn't already painfully obvious. 

Yeah...

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

HappySqurriel said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:

GT5P, Motorstorm 2, Wipeout HD, Killzone 2, MLB 09: The Show. If you AREN'T knowledge, you will generally bring up multiplatform games as a measure of power (especially with the cost of making a game these days). In case you didn't know, the general goal of a multiplatform game is parity.

The original Xbox was basically a PC. No effort or additional knowledge or time was needed for better visuals. Developers have to fight their lack of true multi-threading knowledge. TRUE multi-threading is the future of gaming. 1st/2nd party PS3 developers had to get past this to make better PS3 games.

No, the general goal of multiplatform games is to offset the costs of development and to reduce risk by releasing a game across as many platforms as is possible; if a developer can increase the texture detail or polygonal detail on one of the consoles while retaining their framerate/resolution, or can increase the framerate/resolution on one platform they will do it ... In most cases in this generation the added detail would cost nothing because the assets aleady exist for the PC port.

The reason why exclusives don't work is because it is entirely subjective on whether Killzone 2 is more graphically impressive than Gears of War 2, and there are countless factors which influence the visuals of the game which are not controlled. Examples of these factors are budget (if you have the money, you can optimize all game assets in the game to improve the overall impressiveness of a game without hurting performance) and developers making tradeoffs to improve one element of a game at the expense of another (for example a racing game with fully deformable cars will not be able to have as efficient of models and will look less impressive with the same polygon detail).

Believe what you want to believe, but you have to admit that any advantage you attribute to the PS3 is pretty pathetic given its year later release date and much higher price tag.

Wrong.  For instance, to leverage textures in the PS3, you would need to add a streaming system to your game engine.  That means more development time for the 3rd party developers that are having a hard time writing good code.  The PS3 is a streaming console.  Of course, if it was just a matter of going from 40MB to 80MB for textures, THEN it would be done.

It's NOT subjective on whether Killzone 2 is more graphically impressive than Gears 2.  That's what PDFs are for.  It details what they did.  EVERY implementation has a PERFORMANCE COST associated with it.  It's call having a FRAME BUDGET.  The X360 CAN'T have 350 dynamic lights in Gears 2...no less Killzone 2 with the tons of other things to account for.  Plus, 7.1 audio is mixed on the SPUs as well.  We also know that couldn't be done on the X360, etc, etc.

Just stop trying to through up smoke screens.  It doesn't work anymore.  Just stop lying to yourself and admit the technical superiority of Killzone 2.  Your delusions aren't helping anyone.  I, also, noticed you didn't address the titles I mentioned above.  I guess you need more time to make up some lousy excuses for those as well.

BTW, none of the games I mentioned are on the X360 (obviously), so what's with the "year later release date" crap?

BTFeather55 said:

Software sales don't drive console sales for the short term.

Look at the PS1 and PS2. Their sales were totally driven by their software. It's quality and amount.

The PSP had the best selling game in Japan in 2008 with Monster Hunter which sold 2.4 million copies and there the turnaround started when the slim released as you indicated but it was also due to Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII releasing at almost the same time.  Crisis Core has sold 2 million copies worldwide and introduced to the Japanese the idea that the PSP was a game system as viable as any other.

Of course, Monster Hunter and Crisis Core and their sales have led to the appearance of many more big games coming to the PSP in Japan over the last year. Dragon Quest IX will be huge, but so will Final Fantasy XIII Agito and the two Kingdom Hearts games coming to the PSP. And unlike many Square games that appear on DS that are remakes, the ones coming to the PSP are brand new games developed exclusively for PSP

System sales drive the quanity and quality of software on a system.  The top system usually will get the best titles.  Factors such as price, distribution, and other marketing factors.  At the core, a system has to be superior in key areas that consumers want to get in this position, and then deliver on software of sufficient quality.  This goes all the way back to Atari 2600 days:

1. Atari 2600 was top dog.  It has the most arcade games for it, and arcade games mattered.  Atari was the maker of most of them.

2. The NES was top dog.  It ended up producing the right mix of arcade quality graphics (at the time) at the right price point, and had the third-party software model worked out so that it was profitable, and maintained quality.

3. The Genesis was top dog a bit, then the SNES eventually won.  Nintendo hit the RPG and graphics right, and got the last hurrah of arcades done right here.  It was able to do a superior Street Fighter II, complete with better music and sound.

4. The Playstation (original) ended up top dog, because it did one thing the best: pump polygons.  This was the polygon era, and Sony won it.

5. The Playstation 2 won.  It was the first with a DVD player in it.  This counted.  Then throw in Sony's marketing muscle, and you had the winner.

6. The Wii is winning now.  Nintendo guessed right that having an accessible controller best suited for interactivity (the waggle) was what people were longing for.  So Nintendo came up with the Will controller, which can be used for a lot of games like this.  It does what people want.  It wasn't graphics.

And you can look at the handheld market also, into why consoles win.  Nintendo got the killer app in Pokemon, but also said battery life was king.  and they were right.  Now they are, with the DSi, spectulating camera interface.  Will see how it goes.

As for the other question on "threatened by PS3".  It is more like, "Annoyed by Sony".  Sony ends up doing a $600 system and presumes everyone will buy it, just because Sony's name is on it.  All this arrogance (right down to Riiidge Raaacer), burns in people's mind, as was seen ing E3 2005.  No company has a right to be top dog, or presume it.  Sony taking a beating and coming back humbled is what a lot of people want to see.  This at least tends to flush annoying Sony fanboys out of the system.

Around the Network

I would say more people feel threatened by the Wii "destroying" gaming than the PS3, to be perfectly honest.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89
richardhutnik said:
BTFeather55 said:

Software sales don't drive console sales for the short term.

Look at the PS1 and PS2. Their sales were totally driven by their software. It's quality and amount.

The PSP had the best selling game in Japan in 2008 with Monster Hunter which sold 2.4 million copies and there the turnaround started when the slim released as you indicated but it was also due to Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII releasing at almost the same time.  Crisis Core has sold 2 million copies worldwide and introduced to the Japanese the idea that the PSP was a game system as viable as any other.

Of course, Monster Hunter and Crisis Core and their sales have led to the appearance of many more big games coming to the PSP in Japan over the last year. Dragon Quest IX will be huge, but so will Final Fantasy XIII Agito and the two Kingdom Hearts games coming to the PSP. And unlike many Square games that appear on DS that are remakes, the ones coming to the PSP are brand new games developed exclusively for PSP

System sales drive the quanity and quality of software on a system. 

As for the other question on "threatened by PS3".  It is more like, "Annoyed by Sony".  Sony ends up doing a $600 system and presumes everyone will buy it, just because Sony's name is on it.  All this arrogance (right down to Riiidge Raaacer), burns in people's mind, as was seen ing E3 2005.  No company has a right to be top dog, or presume it.  Sony taking a beating and coming back humbled is what a lot of people want to see.  This at least tends to flush annoying Sony fanboys out of the system.

The 1st bold line is not true beyond a certain point and, in some cases, not even beyond that point.  According to your theory, the PS3 shouldn't be getting the ton of games it's getting this year from 3rd party developers.  Yet, the support is there.  ALSO, according to your theory, the Wii should have the best quality AND quanity of software.  This is clearly not the case, therefore your theory fails utterly.

Now, it's funny how you are annoyed by Sony, but not more annoyed with MS.  It doesn't make any sense.  The "arrogance" to sell people a console it KNEW to be faulty to people AND expect them to just roll with the punches.  THEN, they said that they would STILL rush the X360 to market, if they could do it all over again!  I would say that's a LOT more arrogant than Sony selling a well built high end product to customers.  The ARROGANCE of MS to think my time is not as valuable as their's by forcing MILLIONS of people to constantly send broken consoles back to them MULTIPLE TIMES (and for all the lost gaming time).

Then, there is the arrogance of trying to pass off 576p, 600p, 640p upscaled to 1080p as a natively rendered resolution.  The sheer gall of them, huh?  Let me feel your annoyance towards MS for doing this to you and me.  If not, you should really be quiet about being "annoyed" with Sony.

jefforange89 said:
I would say more people feel threatened by the Wii "destroying" gaming than the PS3, to be perfectly honest. <_<

Personally, I was afraid the Wii would end up pushing down the gaming experience for the next generation via changing companies' outlook on pushing technology forward.  I'm no longer afraid of that, though.

I still think that a lot of folks feel betrayed by Sony, and need something to lash out about.

twesterm said:
BTFeather55 said:

One thing I've noticed in my various discussions about games across the internet is that many people seem to be personally threatened by the thought of the PS3 making a serious comeback in this gen.  I am curious to know why that is.

So I guess my question is why do people feel so threatened when I say this generation is already decided?

Maybe because as you stated above the generation actually isn't 'decided' ?     The PS3 very feasibly could outsell the 360 at the end game of this generation.  (It has thus far).