By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are so many people on message boards threatened by PS3?

One thing I've noticed in my various discussions about games across the internet is that many people seem to be personally threatened by the thought of the PS3 making a serious comeback in this gen.  I am curious to know why that is.

I've had many discussion with these people on various message boards and in the latest bouts, I have put forth the idea that FFXIII and Gran Turismo 5 two franchises that have had spectacular sales in more than one past gen and whose latest installments are in the case of Gran Turismo 5 coming exclusively to the PS3 and Final Fantasy XIII coming exclusively to the PS3 in Japan and yet another game in the Final Fantasy series Final Fantasy Versus XIII still scheduled to be an exclusive for the PS3 worldwide and even if that doesn't hold up it, like its predecessor FFXIII, FF Versus XIII is almost assuredly at least another exclusive for the PS3 in Japan.

Now when I have discussed these games on the message boards and say that if they give the PS3 the same level of success that they have given Playstation consoles in the past and even if ony in Japan, then these games have the potential to really shake up the way this current gen has been going saleswise.

Of course when I put forth this notion, several posters rush the message boards and say, "The PS3 will never do any better in the future of this gen than it has in the past.  And you're stupid and a worthless human being for thinking it will."

I think at heart in these arguments is some dread fear or hatred that many people have of the fact that the PS3 may begin to do better (and it has outsold the Wii the past five weeks in Japan and had many formerly announced 360 exclusive Japanese games announced to be coming to the PS3 as evidence that it is already performing better than it has in the past).  I am just curious as to what is to account for the sentiments and resentments that these people seem to have against the PS3.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Around the Network

because just as many people feel threatened by the 360 and Wii.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Having just come out of the thread in question, I can safely say it has more to do with how poorly you assemble an argument than it is with any fear of the PS3. I wouldn't expect you to come to the conclusion that it's your approach that is the problem though. Just blame everybody else.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

I don't think it would make a comeback. It may start beating the x360 regularly in the future but it will never close the gap while this gen remains relevant.

Many people also have something against sony, success breeds enemies and unreachable expectations. Also, some don't like sony's "fanboys". The funny part about this sentiment is that those that hold it tend to be fanboys themselves lol.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Well, I think that most people realize that the die has been cast for this generation.

For the PS3 to catch the Wii, selling at its current rate, it would take almost 3-1/2 years -- even if the Wii did not sell one more console in that time.

Sony has made many missteps this generation -- from arrogance, to price, to features (e.g., no rumble originally, removing backward compatibility). It went with a very technologically heavy product to support a new format. It worked in that respect (BR-DVD beat out HD-DVD). But it did not succeed as a gaming system.

Also, other threads have discussed the great PS3 resurgence in Japan vis-a-vis the Wii. But it appears to be a software driven bump as the Wii sales have been constant while PS3 (and Xbox 360) sales have fallen off recently.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS3&reg2=Japan&cons3=X360&reg3=Japan&start=39810&end=39901

So no one fears discussion of a Sony PS3 comeback. But no one today take's it seriously.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

People don't like that the Wii is starting to prove itself as a not-so-viable "core" games platform and that its chances of exceeding 55%, or even 50% marketshare are diminishing, that the 360 will not succeed as some RPG phenominon in Japan (or elsewhere), and that the PS3 actually can have better-looking games than the other consoles, with enough effort, just like Sony said.

They're just being defensive of their long-held, misinformed beliefs. Makes 'em upset, and desperate.

That being said, the PS3 still has a long way to go before it can make a comeback, in the business sense... although... it does command an awful high price, despite selling less individual units than the 360, and Sony's games division is starting to show profitability. You can't really call that a failure, no matter where you're coming from.

Will Sony recover the entire investment? Only time will tell. Same goes for MS.

For the PS3 to outsell the Wii in Japan is no big deal. They average 2k-5k or so at most above in Japan. Others and NA numbers the Wii destroys the PS3. The only close race is between the Xbox360 and PS3.

I don't know about threatened... I own all three systems, but the PS3 is my least favorite system. I don't dislike it when it does well, but I do prefer when the others do, since I feel they're better products. It's no different than liking two restaurants, and being happy that your favorite of the two is making more money-- as long as they both stay in business, it's all good.

It could be possible that reactions to your posts are more in response to your complete lack of logic. Sony is behind 360 by over 8m units sold. They continue to trail by about 30,000 units per week. In order to turn this around within this generation, they would need to begin outselling 360 by something like 300,000 units a month. You have to figure that it's only three more years at most before another system hits... Sony needs to reverse the trend that is leading toward a 9m unit disparity to a factor of ten just to break even by the end of this generation. It's not going to happen.

Sony is 3rd. They should try harder next time.

Believing in the PLAYSTATION®3......IS.......S_A_C_R_I_L_E_G_E

mike_intellivision said:
Well, I think that most people realize that the die has been cast for this generation.

For the PS3 to catch the Wii, selling at its current rate, it would take almost 3-1/2 years -- even if the Wii did not sell one more console in that time.

Sony has made many missteps this generation -- from arrogance, to price, to features (e.g., no rumble originally, removing backward compatibility). It went with a very technologically heavy product to support a new format. It worked in that respect (BR-DVD beat out HD-DVD). But it did not succeed as a gaming system.

Also, other threads have discussed the great PS3 resurgence in Japan vis-a-vis the Wii. But it appears to be a software driven bump as the Wii sales have been constant while PS3 (and Xbox 360) sales have fallen off recently.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii®1=Japan&cons2=PS3®2=Japan&cons3=X360®3=Japan&start=39810&end=39901

So no one fears discussion of a Sony PS3 comeback. But no one today take's it seriously.

Mike from Morgantown

Well software drives hardware sales so maybe the Japanese are waking up to the fact that most PS3 software is better than Wii software just as they did beginning in late 2007 with the PSP.  And even though your post says PS3 sales have fallen off, it still beat the Wii by a couple of thousand units this week.  And for the fifth week in a row.  Maybe they can get some quality shovelware out in the coming weeks for PS3 as Nintendo often does for Wii and DS to pad its sales from falling off too much in the near future. 

Heavens to Murgatoids.