By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are so many people on message boards threatened by PS3?

Onyxmeth said:

Having just come out of the thread in question, I can safely say it has more to do with how poorly you assemble an argument than it is with any fear of the PS3. I wouldn't expect you to come to the conclusion that it's your approach that is the problem though. Just blame everybody else.

Hit the nail square on the head! A lot more people on this site could do with a dose of logic, reality and objectivism...

Playing: Borderlands(great co-op,HUGE amount of content),Too Human(better late than never lol),Saints Row 3(Penetrator ftw),Minecraft 360,Harry Potter Lego. 

Patiently waiting for:  Tomb Raider, Borderlands 2

Around the Network

Fear leads to hate. It's funny how much non "x" console owner fears the success of "x" console. These being owners of "y" console and "z" console

TheSteve said:
I don't know about threatened... I own all three systems, but the PS3 is my least favorite system. I don't dislike it when it does well, but I do prefer when the others do, since I feel they're better products. It's no different than liking two restaurants, and being happy that your favorite of the two is making more money-- as long as they both stay in business, it's all good.

It could be possible that reactions to your posts are more in response to your complete lack of logic. Sony is behind 360 by over 8m units sold. They continue to trail by about 30,000 units per week. In order to turn this around within this generation, they would need to begin outselling 360 by something like 300,000 units a month. You have to figure that it's only three more years at most before another system hits... Sony needs to reverse the trend that is leading toward a 9m unit disparity to a factor of ten just to break even by the end of this generation. It's not going to happen.

Sony is 3rd. They should try harder next time.

I don't know about that.  As the gap widens in Japan between 360 and PS3 you will see more exclusives from Japanese studios coming to the PS3 which will give it the kind of games that fans of niche genres like jrpgs enjoy the most.  On the other hand, the PS3 will continue to do at least as well as it has been doing for awhile in the West.  It's 17 million consoles sold in the West will prompt Western developers to keep making games for the system.  This year in the West they will be getting Bioshock 2 which used to be a 360 exclusive and it has also been said that Mass Effect 2 is also probably heading to the PS3 next year, so that takes away quite a bit of the series that could have given big pops to the 360 in the West.

Uncharted 2, God of War 3, and Infamous are going to do really well in the West and Europeans love Gran Turismo.

The PS3 is on the verge of really taking off during the next two years and making people forget about all of the negatives of its first two years.  I really think the PS3 is going to have a turnaround like the PSP did in Japan; however, it is going to be on a global rather than a regional scale. 

Heavens to Murgatoids.

BTFeather55 said:
mike_intellivision said:
Well, I think that most people realize that the die has been cast for this generation.

For the PS3 to catch the Wii, selling at its current rate, it would take almost 3-1/2 years -- even if the Wii did not sell one more console in that time.

Sony has made many missteps this generation -- from arrogance, to price, to features (e.g., no rumble originally, removing backward compatibility). It went with a very technologically heavy product to support a new format. It worked in that respect (BR-DVD beat out HD-DVD). But it did not succeed as a gaming system.

Also, other threads have discussed the great PS3 resurgence in Japan vis-a-vis the Wii. But it appears to be a software driven bump as the Wii sales have been constant while PS3 (and Xbox 360) sales have fallen off recently.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii®1=Japan&cons2=PS3®2=Japan&cons3=X360®3=Japan&start=39810&end=39901

So no one fears discussion of a Sony PS3 comeback. But no one today take's it seriously.

Mike from Morgantown

Well software drives hardware sales so maybe the Japanese are waking up to the fact that most PS3 software is better than Wii software just as they did beginning in late 2007 with the PSP.  And even though your post says PS3 sales have fallen off, it still beat the Wii by a couple of thousand units this week.  And for the fifth week in a row.  Maybe they can get some quality shovelware out in the coming weeks for PS3 as Nintendo often does for Wii and DS to pad its sales from falling off too much in the near future. 

It is true that software drives sales -- but only for a short time.  That is what is called a spike. Long-term sales are driven by other factors (as well as quality of the software). New models, for example, drives handheld sales.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=DS&reg1=Japan&cons2=PSP&reg2=Japan&cons3=GBA&reg3=Japan&start=39089&end=39901

If I am not misiterpting this chart, the time in the middle when the PSP outsold the DS was the model upgrade for the latter.

And software announcements and releases are cylical. If you want to see the power of software, check the DS sales in Japan in a couple of months when DQ IX is released.

Mike from Morgantown

Lifetime sales in Japan: Wii 7M, PS3 3M, Xbox 360 1M.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Procrastinato said:
People don't like that the Wii is starting to prove itself as a not-so-viable "core" games platform and that its chances of exceeding 55%, or even 50% marketshare are diminishing, that the 360 will not succeed as some RPG phenominon in Japan (or elsewhere), and that the PS3 actually can have better-looking games than the other consoles, with enough effort, just like Sony said.

They're just being defensive of their long-held, misinformed beliefs. Makes 'em upset, and desperate.

That being said, the PS3 still has a long way to go before it can make a comeback, in the business sense... although... it does command an awful high price, despite selling less individual units than the 360, and Sony's games division is starting to show profitability. You can't really call that a failure, no matter where you're coming from.

Will Sony recover the entire investment? Only time will tell. Same goes for MS.

You are probably right about 55 percent. But you are probably wrong about 50 percent. This year though will tell the tale on both that number and on whether "core" games sell on,  the Wii as the console will finally be getting some things that are close to "core" -- and not just niche or casual or first-party successes. 

Also you are right that only time will tell if the investment was worth it for Sony and Microsoft. For Nintendo, that is already true since it makes a profit.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

I don't see many people 'Threatened' as much as I see people rationally argue against the irrational predictions that some Sony fanboys use to support their dreams of a PS3 'Comeback' ...

A little more than 100 Million consoles have been sold this generation so far and most of the people who haven't bought a console yet this generation are the most price sensitive customers and the PS3 is twice (or more) the price that these consumers would typically pay for a console. What this means is that the PS3's best opportunity for sales growth is by selling to people who already own consoles, or by selling to people who don't typically buy consoles ... The high price tag, lack of having a particularly distinctive line-up compared to the XBox 360, and a lack of attention paid to the broader demographics that made the PS2 so successful will limit Sony's ability to make any major comeback.

This doesn't mean that the PS3 can't sell decently, but Sony would have to do something remarkable in order to catch up to the XBox 360 and nothing short of a miracle will allow it to catch the Wii.

mike_intellivision said:
BTFeather55 said:
mike_intellivision said:
Well, I think that most people realize that the die has been cast for this generation.

For the PS3 to catch the Wii, selling at its current rate, it would take almost 3-1/2 years -- even if the Wii did not sell one more console in that time.

Sony has made many missteps this generation -- from arrogance, to price, to features (e.g., no rumble originally, removing backward compatibility). It went with a very technologically heavy product to support a new format. It worked in that respect (BR-DVD beat out HD-DVD). But it did not succeed as a gaming system.

Also, other threads have discussed the great PS3 resurgence in Japan vis-a-vis the Wii. But it appears to be a software driven bump as the Wii sales have been constant while PS3 (and Xbox 360) sales have fallen off recently.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii®1=Japan&cons2=PS3®2=Japan&cons3=X360®3=Japan&start=39810&end=39901

So no one fears discussion of a Sony PS3 comeback. But no one today take's it seriously.

Mike from Morgantown

Well software drives hardware sales so maybe the Japanese are waking up to the fact that most PS3 software is better than Wii software just as they did beginning in late 2007 with the PSP.  And even though your post says PS3 sales have fallen off, it still beat the Wii by a couple of thousand units this week.  And for the fifth week in a row.  Maybe they can get some quality shovelware out in the coming weeks for PS3 as Nintendo often does for Wii and DS to pad its sales from falling off too much in the near future. 

It is true that software drives sales -- but only for a short time.  That is what is called a spike. Long-term sales are driven by other factors (as well as quality of the software). New models, for example, drives handheld sales.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=DS®1=Japan&cons2=PSP®2=Japan&cons3=GBA®3=Japan&start=39089&end=39901

If I am not misiterpting this chart, the time in the middle when the PSP outsold the DS was the model upgrade for the latter.

And software announcements and releases are cylical. If you want to see the power of software, check the DS sales in Japan in a couple of months when DQ IX is released.

Mike from Morgantown

Lifetime sales in Japan: Wii 7M, PS3 3M, Xbox 360 1M.

Software sales don't drive console sales for the short term.

Look at the PS1 and PS2. Their sales were totally driven by their software. It's quality and amount.

The PSP had the best selling game in Japan in 2008 with Monster Hunter which sold 2.4 million copies and there the turnaround started when the slim released as you indicated but it was also due to Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII releasing at almost the same time.  Crisis Core has sold 2 million copies worldwide and introduced to the Japanese the idea that the PSP was a game system as viable as any other.

Of course, Monster Hunter and Crisis Core and their sales have led to the appearance of many more big games coming to the PSP in Japan over the last year. Dragon Quest IX will be huge, but so will Final Fantasy XIII Agito and the two Kingdom Hearts games coming to the PSP. And unlike many Square games that appear on DS that are remakes, the ones coming to the PSP are brand new games developed exclusively for PSP

Heavens to Murgatoids.

mike_intellivision said:
Procrastinato said:
People don't like that the Wii is starting to prove itself as a not-so-viable "core" games platform and that its chances of exceeding 55%, or even 50% marketshare are diminishing, that the 360 will not succeed as some RPG phenominon in Japan (or elsewhere), and that the PS3 actually can have better-looking games than the other consoles, with enough effort, just like Sony said.

They're just being defensive of their long-held, misinformed beliefs. Makes 'em upset, and desperate.

That being said, the PS3 still has a long way to go before it can make a comeback, in the business sense... although... it does command an awful high price, despite selling less individual units than the 360, and Sony's games division is starting to show profitability. You can't really call that a failure, no matter where you're coming from.

Will Sony recover the entire investment? Only time will tell. Same goes for MS.

You are probably right about 55 percent. But you are probably wrong about 50 percent. This year though will tell the tale on both that number and on whether "core" games sell on,  the Wii as the console will finally be getting some things that are close to "core" -- and not just niche or casual or first-party successes. 

Also you are right that only time will tell if the investment was worth it for Sony and Microsoft. For Nintendo, that is already true since it makes a profit.

Mike from Morgantown

When I was referring to the Wii proving itself as a platform that isn't viable for "core" releases I meant it from the investor's perspective, where a combo PS360 release actually seems like a more appealing investment at this time, if you're trying to target an "M" rated game concept.  This inevitably leads to a market vacuum (on the Wii, in this case), which a few games will attempt to fill, until there's not really a vacuum left.  Thus the PS360 will see the majority of said investments, and the Wii will see a minority, unless a few additional titles this year, like The Conduit, can pull off some serious numbers and demonstrate that the market is present, but just really picky about quality.

The sales differences are so significant, they even dwarf the vaunted "Wii costs 1/4th as much to develop for" claims spouted by various publishers (having a lot of shovelware factoring into that ratio, unfortunately).

blazinhead89 said:
Fear leads to hate. It's funny how much non "x" console owner fears the success of "x" console. These being owners of "y" console and "z" console

Well said Blaze.

listen to Yoda...