By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are so many people on message boards threatened by PS3?

atma998 said:
BTFeather55 said:
atma998 said:
BTFeather55 said:
atma998 said:

If people answer you things like that it's because they were so many people who said desperate things like : Lair, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Grand Theft Auto IV, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, HOME, Killzone 2 will save the PS3 and now you are continuing with GT5 and FFXIII.

You just have to accept the fact that PS3 won't do a comeback this gen.

If it is beating the most popular console in the world 5 weeks in a row in their home country with games like RE5, Yakuza 3, and White Knight Chronicles when it costs $150.00 more.  There's every reason to believe that a $300.00 PS3 (which would cost only $50.00 more) with games like Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy that always sell millions of copies in Japan, would do even better.

The reason why the PS3 is outselling the Wii in Japan right now is quite simple. PS3 launched their blockbusters while the Wii doesnt released anything since a couple of months. Now the most funny thing here is that Sony just oustold the Wii by a mere couple of thousands units. When MH3 will be release, the Wii will outsell the PS3 by at least 5 times its sales. 

Yeah, but the PSP might be going to pull a 360 Final Fantasy XIII in the West strike on that as another Monster Hunter game that could be Monster Hunter 3 is slated to be coming to PSP.

What are you talking about? That doesnt make sense at all. What is the link between FFXIII (X360) and the PSP??? Also MH3 was announced as Wii exclusive.

Yes, but in subsequent interviews Inafune has hinted that there is another Monster Hunter game on the way for PSP.  If you sold 2.5 million games on one console in a region as small as Japan would you turn around and not release another game on the system that would do just as well?

Oh, the link between the 360 and PSP, that is just me being descriptive.  I am saying that it would be similar to the move that the 360 had in the West by getting Final Fantasy XIII published on the 360 there, if it was to be suddenly announced that Monster Hunter 3 was coming to PSP in Japan as well as to the Wii.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Around the Network

People aren't threatened by the PS3. They are astonished by how blind most PS3 fanboys can be.

BTFeather55 said:
atma998 said:
BTFeather55 said:
atma998 said:
BTFeather55 said:
atma998 said:

If people answer you things like that it's because they were so many people who said desperate things like : Lair, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Grand Theft Auto IV, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, HOME, Killzone 2 will save the PS3 and now you are continuing with GT5 and FFXIII.

You just have to accept the fact that PS3 won't do a comeback this gen.

If it is beating the most popular console in the world 5 weeks in a row in their home country with games like RE5, Yakuza 3, and White Knight Chronicles when it costs $150.00 more.  There's every reason to believe that a $300.00 PS3 (which would cost only $50.00 more) with games like Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy that always sell millions of copies in Japan, would do even better.

The reason why the PS3 is outselling the Wii in Japan right now is quite simple. PS3 launched their blockbusters while the Wii doesnt released anything since a couple of months. Now the most funny thing here is that Sony just oustold the Wii by a mere couple of thousands units. When MH3 will be release, the Wii will outsell the PS3 by at least 5 times its sales. 

Yeah, but the PSP might be going to pull a 360 Final Fantasy XIII in the West strike on that as another Monster Hunter game that could be Monster Hunter 3 is slated to be coming to PSP.

What are you talking about? That doesnt make sense at all. What is the link between FFXIII (X360) and the PSP??? Also MH3 was announced as Wii exclusive.

Yes, but in subsequent interviews Inafune has hinted that there is another Monster Hunter game on the way for PSP.  If you sold 2.5 million games on one console in a region as small as Japan would you turn around and not release another game on the system that would do just as well?

Oh, the link between the 360 and PSP, that is just me being descriptive.  I am saying that it would be similar to the move that the 360 had in the West by getting Final Fantasy XIII published on the 360 there, if it was to be suddenly announced that Monster Hunter 3 was coming to PSP in Japan as well as to the Wii.

Ok so this is just pure speculation as I thought. Anyway this have nothing to do with the PS3.

Please stop this.  Its not cute anymore.

Maybe you are confusing whatever you think for your own feeling threatened?

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network

What has PS3 done exactly to suggest that it will return and over take the Wii?

Wii is outpacing PS2 worldwide, in the Americas, and in Others. Sony's best PS2 year was 22m PS2s shipped (production shipments) in the year ending March 2003, and about 20.2m PS2s sold in 2002. Wii has already sold 24m units, and Nintendo has shipped over 26m Wiis for the year ending March 2009, and sales are still trending upwards.

The system costs a third less ($400) than it did when it launched ($600) in most markets. In the year ending March 2008, Sony shipped 9.24m PS3s when the cost of the system ranged from $400 to $600. For the year ending March 2009, Sony will just meet its target of shipping 10m PS3s, even though the system was $400 the entire year. For the USA, what is effectively a 33% price reduction in April-June, a 16% price reduction over July-October should have resulted in more than an 8% increase in PS3 sales, because of the number of big games PS3 had in the fiscal year - Little Big Planet, MGS4, GTAIV, Resistance 2, GH, RB, SF4, Resident Evil 5, Yakuza 3, and others. Without a price cut in the next six months, it is very likely that PS3 shipments will decline on a worldwide basis, while Wii shipments will increase once again even though the system has had far less 'must have' content released in early 2009.

At ~$400 * 10m, Sony earns something like $4b in revenue on PS3, and still loses money on the system, while Nintendo sells Wii at ~$250 * 26.5m, and earns something like $6.6b in revenue on Wii, making a slim profit on each system sold. If PS3 sales began to eclipse Wii sales at $350 vs. $250, Nintendo could afford to cut the price of Wii and we would return to the current situation.

The truth is though, even though one of the HD Twins can be bought at prices at or below the Wii in the west already, the Wii still outsells that device (the 360) by a large margin. Two of the three Xbox 360 models can be bought for less than Wii in Europe, Wii still trounces it. In the Americas, most people buy the Arcade model, bringing the average purchasing cost of a 360 to like $270 in the Americas, less than 10% above the Wii, but Wii still routinely beats the 360 by 2:1 or 3:1 on what is essentially momentum from early 2008 (Wii Fit, Mario Kart) and the overall catalogue of games for the device.

In 2007, when the Wii-PS3 price gap was the largest, Wii outsold PS3 worldwide by a 19:9 ratio. As the price gap narrowed from ~$350 in early 2007 to ~$150 in 2008, the Wii outsold PS3 worldwide by a greater ratio - 19:8. In the absence of major new games for Wii, a big swath of major games for PS3, and no price changes, Wii has outsold PS3 by the same 19:8 ratio worldwide in 2009.

Focusing on Japan for five weeks, which is a single month is not a good idea. For consoles, Japan is now only the third biggest market in the world, behind the USA and UK.  The games which had such an important impact in pushing PS3 above Wii and 360 in Japan (Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter IV, Yakuza 3, Demon Souls, Musou) simply do not have the type of impact in the west. Last generation, Gamecube was second in Japan, and third overall. PS3 is clearly going to be second in Japan, but it launched a year and millions of units behind Xbox 360 worldwide. In September 2007, on a price cut and Halo 3 Xbox 360 outsold Wii in the Americas. Did that prevent Wii from outselling 360 in 2007? No. Will the late Feb-late March spike for PS3 prop the system ahead of Wii for the year in Japan? Doubt it. In Japan, the Wii and PS3 price points are the closest so it wouldn't be surprising to see Wii only top PS3 by a 2:1 ratio, as the case was in 2006, instead of the ~3:1 ratios we have seen in 2007 (3.6m:1.2m), and 2008 (2.9m : 1m).

The most important point though is that top machines in this industry are popular for an exceptionally long time. Historically speaking, every system to sell over 50m units has done so over a period of over ten years. The systems which have sold over 100m units - whether from Sony (PS1, PS2) or Nintendo (GB, DS) have seen a period of 3 years where sales are at least 10% of the overall total. In the three years ending March 2004, Sony shipped 60.7m PS2s. In the three years ending March 2000, Sony shipped 59.4m PS1s. In each of the three years for both Sony systems shipments stayed within 10% of the best of the three years. For GB, Nintendo shipped 49.3m units in the three years ending March 2001, while for DS, Nintendo shipped ~85m DS in the three years ending March 2009 - and that may not even be the three year peak phase of the DS - it could be the three years ending March 2010. The Wii, for the three fiscal years ending March 2009 - which includes the short FY ending March 2007 - has totalled 51m units and that is without a price cut and supply constraints for most of the period. I would bet that the three year period ending March 2011 will be the highest phase of Wii - with a peak near DS levels, and almost guarenteed to be over 75m.

Given the trouble Sony has in dropping the PS3 price, and the "spike-like" rather than "curve-like" sales nature of gaming machines which fall behind the lead machine, it is very unlikely that PS3 will have anything close to a three year peak of 75m-95m as Wii and DS will, instead coming in at ~35m to ~40m - which is still good - but not at PS1, PS2, GB, DS, or even what Wii has already done to date.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

If they seem threatened, it's probably because they are baffled that people still consider the PS3 a threat to the Wii.

I seriously think if BT starts a blog site about PS3 or just simply become a regular contributor for hiphopgamer, he could have a legion of fans.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

For all of the discussion of the Wii here, whether or not the PS3 has any chance of coming back on the Wii isn't really what is under contention here.  That discussion just slipped in somehow and more than likely, the PS3 can't.

What was originally under contention is FFXIII, Versus XIII, and GT5 all being exclusives on the PS3 in Japan and how that will affect Japanese development of exclusives for the 360 if those three games boost the PS3 out to 5 to 7 million consoles sold while the 360 in the meantime remains in the 1.01-1.5 (1.25 seems about as well as it can even aspire to) range in Japan during that time.

Especially when we're seeing at the ratio that it has now of 3:1 that games that were formerly 360 exclusives in Japan like Vesperia and Ninja Gaiden II are already being ported over to the PS3 and whether or not the jrpgs the 360 has are really selling well enough in the West to justify further Japanese rpg exclusives appearing on the 360.

Tales of Vesperia was discontinued on the 360 in America due to its poor sales. Star Ocean 4 on 360 hasn't really taken off in the West. And none of the 360's exclusive jrpgs have passed a million in sales worldwide.

So, why would Japanese studios choose to make jrpgs as exclusives or even on 360 especially if the PS3's install base hits 5 million or more in Japan while the 360's isn't even at 1.5 million and western gamers aren't inclined to buy jrpgs on the 360 in significant numbers?

Heavens to Murgatoids.

I thought the whole point of this thread was the discussion regarding other users viewpoint on the future of the PS3 not the Japan situation which you have another thread running regarding BTFeather55.