By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Need For Speed Wii Screens & IGN Impressions...

IGN Just released their hands-on impressions of NFS Pro Street for the Wii, and it looks like it's shaping up to be a pretty good game.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/818/818156p1.html

"The development team started from scratch with the game's physics engine so drifting feels a fair bit different than what we saw in Carbon. Cars feel much heavier and more powerful, giving you better feedback while also not feeling like they're sliding around on ice. Scoring is still on a speed vs. angle basis rather than the types of drift maneuvers you perform, though you do get bonuses if you begin a drift with nitrous or can manage to put a long string together.

The Wii version of the game obviously makes use of the system's unique control scheme, and for the most part its implementation is obvious. Holding the controller sideways, the face buttons act as gas and brake, the trigger activates nitrous and you tilt it left and right to steer. In line with its Family Play control scheme, ProStreet will offer three options - Family, Racer and King. On the Family setting, the game will take care of braking for you so you really only need to focus on steering. Racer will necessitate the use of the brake button but leave the physics at a very forgiving level, while King will use the full racing and physics engines found in the PS3 and 360 versions. The controls change a bit while drag racing, as instead of holding the remote sideways you'll hold it vertically and yank it towards you quickly when you want to shift.

Need for Speed ProStreet looks like an interesting and stylistic direction for the series. It seems more refined and focused, which is great. We'll have more on the game soon, so stay tuned."

Here are the first direct in-game shots off the Wii:

Looks pretty sweet! It looks like they fixed the issues that I didn't like about Carbon and updated the physics nicely. It seems that they may have actually put some time into the graphics, as well. I hope the game turns out as good as it sounds (and looks) so far.

Around the Network

Graphics can be deceiving. It's not hard to make the cars look great...but it depends how good the environment and particle effects are as well.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Whoa, second generation Wii games are starting to look pretty good, even though I have zero personal interest in this genre. Good to see developers starting to take the console seriously.

you cal those graphics great...rofl

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Enviroments are not very good at all. Of course you'll notice in most car games on any hardware focus on the car models more while the enviroments tend to look blurry and undetailed. So no surprise there. They do that becuase while your racing at high speeds it looks good.

Around the Network
darthdevidem said:

Not great if you compare them to everything else on the market, but a vast improvement over the first Wii games from many developers. They're starting to realise they've got a machine with much more horsepower than the last gen ones on their hands, and that it's here to stay.

Zucas said:
Enviroments are not very good at all. Of course you'll notice in most car games on any hardware focus on the car models more while the enviroments tend to look blurry and undetailed. So no surprise there. They do that becuase while your racing at high speeds it looks good.

Where do you get that, since the 3 shots barely show anything from the environments? I think environment in the 3rd shot actually looks pretty good, and the others don't show enough to really make a judgement yet. We'll just have to wait and see how the final version shapes up.

darthdevidem said:

As you can see, ladies and gentlemen, the above quote is a prime example of trolling. Note how the poster can't even spell the word 'call' correctly and claims to be 'Rolling on the floor laughing', even though he is clearly sitting in a chair while typing (siacwt).

lol

No interest in the game nor the genre, but happy because if EA can nail a good looking graphics engine for Wii, then they can use it on other games as well. Yay!