By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

the ps3 is selling well for its price (why do i hear this ALL THE TIME?)..... and every sale is still losing money for sony and the ps3 has NEVER made a profit :)

so either sony has NO Business intelligence and they never intended to make a profit from the ps3 .... or they misunderstood demand and released the most expensive console in history and still thought they would come in 1st place because of the name playstation.

4 billion dollars of red ink later and still in last place , i think we know the answer :)~

No wonder ken kutaragi's head went rolling

Around the Network
TheTruthProphet said:

the ps3 is selling well for its price (why do i hear this ALL THE TIME?)..... and every sale is still losing money for sony and the ps3 has NEVER made a profit :)

so either sony has NO Business intelligence and they never intended to make a profit from the ps3 .... or they misunderstood demand and released the most expensive console in history and still thought they would come in 1st place because of the name playstation.

4 billion dollars of red ink later and still in last place , i think we know the answer :)~

Maybe you should stop complaining and run Sony for them.

It seems like you have all the knowledge.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

TheTruthProphet said:

I don't understand your logic here. We know that Sony is still losing money on each PS3 they sell, so how come you're saying that they expected to make money out of it by selling more of them because of the name? How can a "misunderstood demand" cost them money in this case? The less sold, the less money lost.

Could it be that they expect to make money out of it in the next 6-7 years - as they always said - and that right now they are not after marketshare - as they also said - if not for the amount necessary to have at least parity of treatment with the 360 among developers?

I'm no businessman, but that's very reasonable and it's what I would expect to do if I wanted to market a console selling it at a loss for the inital part of its lifecycle. Maybe the truth is simple in this case?

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

GO PSP/3 and DS!

4 ≈ One

its amazing how the ps3 is selling. in my country australia the cheapest 360 is $230 and ps3 is $680 thats neally 3 times more expensive than the 360.only the playstation brand can sell good with a huge price if the 360 was as expensive as the ps3 it would of died.

Around the Network

anyone have the last 3-4 weeks they can post to compare to this week?

kowenicki said:
mickill2 said:
its amazing how the ps3 is selling. in my country australia the cheapest 360 is $230 and ps3 is $680 thats neally 3 times more expensive than the 360.only the playstation brand can sell good with a huge price if the 360 was as expensive as the ps3 it would of died.

Its "have" not "of"... i hate that!!

The "if the 360 was the price of the PS3... it would have died" arguement is idiotic.  Why would  a realitve newcomer to console gaming with not much of a brandname launch their second console whith silly specs and a high price.  That wasn't the MS strategy.    

And yes if the PS3 had been cheaper at launch it would have (not of) sold more, but then it wouldnt be the PS3 we know now would it? 

While we're at it, "it's" is the correct shortening of "it is" and when refering to a word as used by someone else you should use quotation marks.

:P

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

The difference between the PS3 and 360 has fluctuated over the past few weeks.

March 7th - Gap 11k
March 14th- Gap 20k
March 16th- Gap 16k
This week- Gap 12k

I reckon until another big release arrives for the PS3, the 360 will probably maintain at least a weekly 10k advantage in the EU.

It's deeply worrying that the PS3 is selling on par with X360 despite PS3 costing €400 and X360 Pro 60Gb costin €250. Europe loves Sony and hates MS.

If Sony drops to €300 this year the X360 will be crushed.

Slimebeast said:
It's deeply worrying that the PS3 is selling on par with X360 despite PS3 costing €400 and X360 Pro 60Gb costin €250. Europe loves Sony and hates MS.

If Sony drops to €300 this year the X360 will be crushed.

It won't