By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Help, my PC can't run any decent game

Get a new PC with an AMD Athlon Quad-Core

Around the Network

Here is a 625$ gaming rid designed by professionals
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-e5200-radeon,2144.html

I suspect you can save some money using some parts you already have, like your case and Windows XP.
Keep in mind that this build is geared specifically towards overclocking. It is OK if you don't want to, but if you read the article you can see what they do with it.

I would not recomment Quad-Core processor. Not much games (if any) actually needs it. Dual-Core is good too.

It good to know, what kind of monitor you have, if, for example, have some older model with 1280*1024 resolution (like me, btw), you don´t need newest graphic card, it´s overkill

For example, last month, I buy this (monitor is 1280*1024, as I said before):

Motherboard: ASUS P5QL Pro
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 BOX
RAM: 2x 1GB
Graphics: Gainward 9600GT GS 512MB DDR3 9115
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 3.5" 320GB WD3200AAKS
PSU: Fortron FX500-A 500W OEM

For the time being, every game, even new ones, like W40k: Dawn of War 2 runs on max details, with 4x AA.

If you're trying to get TF2 to work try running in DX 8.

TF2->Settings->launch properties

type "-dxlevel 80" without the "s

You will take a hit on graphics but this has let 2 people I know enjoy the awesomeness that is TF2.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

i still think the problem is that you don't have a monitor

Initiating social expirement #928719281

Around the Network
Senlis said:

I suspect you can save some money using some parts you already have, like your case and Windows XP.
Keep in mind that this build is geared specifically towards overclocking. It is OK if you don't want to, but if you read the article you can see what they do with it.

Thank you, i'll probably buy a new one right out, i found out somewhere here that buys used PC parts. I'll take a look at some of those parts and see which i can find at an acessible price here in Brazil

Also, i'll read about overclocking. If i am able to do it, why not? Sounds good

Nanaki said:
I would not recomment Quad-Core processor. Not much games (if any) actually needs it. Dual-Core is good too.

It good to know, what kind of monitor you have, if, for example, have some older model with 1280*1024 resolution (like me, btw), you don´t need newest graphic card, it´s overkill

For the time being, every game, even new ones, like W40k: Dawn of War 2 runs on max details, with 4x AA.

I run it on my 37" LG tv, the same i got my PS3 plugged into

Very good pc you have there. Do you believe mine only have 60gb HDD by now? Years ago i thought it was more than someone could need, nowadays i need to delete something to make room nearly every day. I need a big HDD, lol

Pyro as Bill said:

You will take a hit on graphics but this has let 2 people I know enjoy the awesomeness that is TF2.

Thanks, i'll try it later

Even so, the game takes like 10 minutes to load, but it sounds good as a temporary solution

786_ali said:

I can close my eyes and use my imagination :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well guys, thank you for all the tips, i will buy a new pc. This one was the best on the market when i bought it, but it was in 1999 or 2000 lol, time to move on

My new guitar will have to wait xP

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"

Flow said:
Senlis said:

Thank you, i'll probably buy a new one right out, i found out somewhere here that buys used PC parts. I'll take a look at some of those parts and see which i can find at an acessible price here in Brazil

Also, i'll read about overclocking. If i am able to do it, why not? Sounds good

Nanaki said:

I run it on my 37" LG tv, the same i got my PS3 plugged into

Very good pc you have there. Do you believe mine only have 60gb HDD by now? Years ago i thought it was more than someone could need, nowadays i need to delete something to make room nearly every day. I need a big HDD, lol

Pyro as Bill said:

Thanks, i'll try it later

Even so, the game takes like 10 minutes to load, but it sounds good as a temporary solution

786_ali said:

I can close my eyes and use my imagination :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well guys, thank you for all the tips, i will buy a new pc. This one was the best on the market when i bought it, but it was in 1999 or 2000 lol, time to move on

My new guitar will have to wait xP

but imaginations don't usually have HDMI ports.

Initiating social expirement #928719281

Upgrading this is hopeless you would need to look for long obsolete parts which can have rediculus prices at ebay compared to new stuff in shop.

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=3528&p=4

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Overclocking can get you better performance on cheaper parts. Just keep the following in mind:

It is very time consuming. Overclocking consists of changing settings a little bit at a time to see how far you can push the machine. Changing settings too far too fast can damage your processor or motherboard and cause you to have to replace them. If you overclock properly, you should not damage anything (though it has been known to happen.

Overclocking takes researching. You have to know things like when to increase the voltage running to your processor or graphics card.

Even if you overclock things perfectly, you are still reducing the lifetime of your parts.

haxxiy said:
Radeon HD 4830 - 75 bucks at newegg
Phenom X4 9500 - 90 bucks at tigerdirect

Here's your help.

He doesn't have a PCI-e slot nor an AMD CPU socket. 

Flow, time to build a new PC.

The rEVOLution is not being televised