By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - GDC: We’re “broader” than mature-rated content, says Nintendo

Matt really cherry-picked in that article. He says:

"The Godfather. Scarface. Manhunt 2. More recently, House of the Dead: Overkill. All underperformers, to say the least."

Nevermind that Manhunt 2 didn't sell well on the PS2 either and that HofD:O just released and is too early to tell. I personally don't know much about Scarface or Godfather.

But notice how he didn't mention either RE or Call of Duty: WaW... They would've pimp slapped his argument.

Around the Network

rated B for bullshit or rated PS for poor spin.

Khuutra said:
kratos3390 said:
This question always comes up when a nintendo system comes along and the answer is the same thing every time. No matter how hard Nintendo tries to make it not, it will always be the "Kiddy" system. Nothing will change that because Nintendo doesn't have the proper knowledge to make a hardcore game for hardcore gamers. Nothing has changed in the past five generations of nintendo consoles. They're still refurbishing the same old "E" rated games and reselling them to its giant fanbase. Its not that they're broader than that, its that they don't know how to make a hardcore "M" rated game.

This is... wow.

That's a Hell of a first post.

You really think they're still refurbishing the same old "E" rated games, especially this gen?

I guess this makes the Touch and Wii generation stuff "non-games" then.

Actually yes.  Motion games don't change the fundamental difference of any nintendo exclusive game.  I don't necessarily acecpt the notion that they aren't hardcore (cause I dont really accept the notion OF hardcore), but madworld itself is a classic example of how nintendo can indeed come out with fun games for any genre but completely fail to grasp the "hardcore" gamer.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

It seems as if in (almost) everyone's judgment that there is an implicit assumption that M-rated = mature.

M-rated (by the Entertainment Software Advisory Board for US/NA) = mature-content suitable only for those ages 17 and over. It is the equivalent to an R-rated (restricted) movie.

For example, teen slasher films are rated "R" by the Motion Picture Association of America. However, only adolescents, teenagers, and early 20s generally find the standard teen slasher film entertaining.

On the other hand, you can have "mature" topics and themes. These can be seen in anything from a film suitable for General audiences (G), to ones requiring parental guidance in general or especially for those under age 13 (PG, PG-13), to films restricted to those age 17 or older unless accompanied by an adult (R), to those which are not meant for children or those under age of 17 only (NC-17). [Notice I did not say X-rated, which was usurped by the adult film industry and is no longer used by the MPAA).

Unfortunately, most of what gets passed off as "mature" for video games resembles the former rather than the latter.

Meanwhile, generally Nintendo looks for things that can be enjoyed by all -- even if the themes are not always understood by all.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mike_intellivision said:
It seems as if in (almost) everyone's judgment that there is an implicit assumption that M-rated = mature.

M-rated (by the Entertainment Software Advisory Board for US/NA) = mature-content suitable only for those ages 17 and over. It is the equivalent to an R-rated (restricted) movie.

For example, teen slasher films are rated "R" by the Motion Picture Association of America. However, only adolescents, teenagers, and early 20s generally find the standard teen slasher film entertaining.

On the other hand, you can have "mature" topics and themes. These can be seen in anything from a film suitable for General audiences (G), to ones requiring parental guidance in general or especially for those under age 13 (PG, PG-13), to films restricted to those age 17 or older unless accompanied by an adult (R), to those which are not meant for children or those under age of 17 only (NC-17). [Notice I did not say X-rated, which was usurped by the adult film industry and is no longer used by the MPAA).

Unfortunately, most of what gets passed off as "mature" for video games resembles the former rather than the latter.

Meanwhile, generally Nintendo looks for things that can be enjoyed by all -- even if the themes are not always understood by all.

Mike from Morgantown

That is primarily because of a double standard in society.  Also, the male demographic that enjoys the R and NC-17 content extend into the 30s.  Almost every one of my male friends enjoy those teen slasher movies you talkin 'bout. 

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network
Kenology said:
Matt really cherry-picked in that article. He says:

"The Godfather. Scarface. Manhunt 2. More recently, House of the Dead: Overkill. All underperformers, to say the least."

Nevermind that Manhunt 2 didn't sell well on the PS2 either and that HofD:O just released and is too early to tell. I personally don't know much about Scarface or Godfather.

But notice how he didn't mention either RE or Call of Duty: WaW... They would've pimp slapped his argument.

Agreed, he wanted HARD to prove his argument, lol. But, like I said before, he's just moving goal post.

...One thing that I will never understand is that HE'S IGN's Chief Nintendo editer, yet he falls into dumb PS3/XB360 fanboyishism that just baffle me.

With a large userbase comes diversity in that userbaser demostrated my the variety in the 70+ million sellers that the Wii has. I don't understand why it's wrong for M-Rated games to only be a "small" portion of that demo...

RATING DOESN'T MEAN HARDCORE PEOPLE!!!!

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

To those saying M-rated games don't sell on Wii:

No More Heroes - http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=7667&region=All

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles - http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=6971&region=All

Resident Evil 4: Wii edition - http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=6163&region=All

House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return - http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=12811&region=All

Bully: Scholarship Edition - http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=13686&region=All

NMH did pretty well considering it was a new IP. It was Suda51's most successful game.

RE sold on name alone. Ditto for HoTD.

EDIT: Bully was "T".

@Naum

"M-rated games are for young boys who think it's so cool to play games with alot of gun, blood and death"

At least you acknowledge that you are a nintendo fanboy, but you really need to expand your video game library before you make such comments as the above statement declares that you have not played many of these games unless you would happen to be one of those young boys which you refer to.