By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Zero Punction on Bioshock

If no one noticed, look at the last frame. It has a message similar to:

"Have fun defending a rich games company that doesn't know you and doesn't care about you".

He really should add "Adventures in fanboy baiting" to all his movies.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
twesterm said:
My favorite reviewer is back and this time with hid take on Bioshock. It's always nice to know that that I pretty much completely agree with him on everything except the System Shock 2 references (and that's only because I've never played it).

he is completely correct about the system shock 2 elements. BioShock is basically a complete rip off of system shock 2 but with prettier graphics which basically means that grant it, its great, its truly not original or even deserves the respect to be called a new game. Its like taking Mario painting him blue, change the princess's name to queen apple, name bowser Godzilla, and call it the game Super Dino Hunter.

This is a pretty bitter comment mate.  Does someone regret buying a ps3?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Hawk said:
Kasz216 said:
ssj12 said:
twesterm said:
My favorite reviewer is back and this time with hid take on Bioshock. It's always nice to know that that I pretty much completely agree with him on everything except the System Shock 2 references (and that's only because I've never played it).

he is completely correct about the system shock 2 elements. BioShock is basically a complete rip off of system shock 2 but with prettier graphics which basically means that grant it, its great, its truly not original or even deserves the respect to be called a new game. Its like taking Mario painting him blue, change the princess's name to queen apple, name bowser Godzilla, and call it the game Super Dino Hunter.

Correct me if i'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure they made System Shock 2. So you really can't call it a rip off.

If I am not mistaken, Kaz216 is right.  So saying Bioshock is a rip off of System Shock 2, is like saying Super Mario World is a rip off of Super Mario Bros 3.

Totaly off subject but, Super Mario Brothers 2 was a rip-off of Doki-Doki p[anic. ANYHOO

Great review, I expecially agree with the easy/vita chamber factor. While playing I found myself charging at the big dadies without care just because I knew I'd get revived and their damage would remain the same. I realize that's kind of cheap of me but the old adage "If they didn't want me to they wouldn't have let me" seems to be the order of the day. The game could have been much better had come sort of penalty for dieing been devised.

Somehow they managed to turn a hardcore game into a casual one just by adding the "death doesn't matter" effect. I think people should be more outraged about that than Nintendo going after the casual market. I mean hell, they butchered a harcore title!! 

starcraft said:
ssj12 said:
twesterm said:

This is a pretty bitter comment mate. Does someone regret buying a ps3?

umm no.. because I can get BioShock on the PC if I want it.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

rasone77 said:

Totaly off subject but, Super Mario Brothers 2 was a rip-off of Doki-Doki p[anic. ANYHOO

Thats the exact reason I didn't use Super Mario Bros 2 as an example, heh

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Around the Network

BTW, I just realized I own System Shock 2. lol.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Er... okay. First let me say I'm a bit confused by the people who are both A: upset that the vita-chamber made the game too easy and B: did not bother to simply load their saved game after dying rather than continuing out of the vita-chamber. If you didn't like the vita-chambers (I didn't, because I didn't need them) then don't use them. Problem solved. Wasn't that easier than complaining about the one thing you didn't like in a game that does so much else right and better than so many others? I thought it was.

Second, has anyone here who feels that this game is an exact copy of System Shock 2 (only under-water and with better graphics) even PLAYED System Shock 2? They are very different games. They don't feel the same at all; I played both and I wasn't thinking of SS2 at all as I was playing. The world was so convincingly unique, and the combat so much sharper than SS2, and the RPG elements so much more secondary than in SS2... Many of the design principles weren't even the same between both games. What similarities were there? Let's list them: 1. "Shock" in the title. Wow. 2. Story made deeper via audio logs and posters. Uh oh, that's been done twice before in the history of games... that's definitely a stale convention. 3. Er... they're both shooters with RPG elements? Yeah, but said combat/RPG systems are completely unique and don't feel the same at all, so even that point is moot. 4. Both games contain vending machines and other stations... to support the RPG elements. Can anyone see a way around that one? 5. Sorry, I ran out. 6. Seriously... All out.

Even if there were more similarities, we're talking about a "spiritual successor" here... some similarities are warranted and dare I say expected. The criticism here is pretty bogus. Anyone who can't appreciate that this game is extremely well-crafted... well I just don't get ya.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.

PlagueOfLocust said:
Er... okay. First let me say I'm a bit confused by the people who are both A: upset that the vita-chamber made the game too easy and B: did not bother to simply load their saved game after dying rather than continuing out of the vita-chamber. If you didn't like the vita-chambers (I didn't, because I didn't need them) then don't use them. Problem solved. Wasn't that easier than complaining about the one thing you didn't like in a game that does so much else right and better than so many others? I thought it was.

Second, has anyone here who feels that this game is an exact copy of System Shock 2 (only under-water and with better graphics) even PLAYED System Shock 2? They are very different games. They don't feel the same at all; I played both and I wasn't thinking of SS2 at all as I was playing. The world was so convincingly unique, and the combat so much sharper than SS2, and the RPG elements so much more secondary than in SS2... Many of the design principles weren't even the same between both games. What similarities were there? Let's list them: 1. "Shock" in the title. Wow. 2. Story made deeper via audio logs and posters. Uh oh, that's been done twice before in the history of games... that's definitely a stale convention. 3. Er... they're both shooters with RPG elements? Yeah, but said combat/RPG systems are completely unique and don't feel the same at all, so even that point is moot. 4. Both games contain vending machines and other stations... to support the RPG elements. Can anyone see a way around that one? 5. Sorry, I ran out. 6. Seriously... All out.

Even if there were more similarities, we're talking about a "spiritual successor" here... some similarities are warranted and dare I say expected. The criticism here is pretty bogus. Anyone who can't appreciate that this game is extremely well-crafted... well I just don't get ya.
OMG i truely have been thinking the same thing, its not like your are FORCED to use the chambers, you can load the game at anytime, seriously.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

At least he said its contender for game of the year
he really didnt like the game, what a shame for him

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

People chill, it's just a fun review. Yes, I have played both, and he's right that they are VERY similar. He didn't even say that he doesn't like the game, he just said it's not the stunningly original groundbreaking game it promised to be. Games can be good without being groundbreaking, or even without living up to their promises (Fable anyone?). I finally coughed up for the game on the PC a couple days ago. It doesn't run great on my crap PC, but I can say with certainty that it's a great game, but has some issues, and it presents the same problem that all of these supposedly free choice games do:

There is no middle ground. Good and Evil are not the only two things in the world. I can't help but feel like this formula is getting really tired. It was fresh and brilliant with KOTOR, it was fun with Fable, it's starting to smell bad with Bioshock, and I can't help but feel it's going to be rotten with Mass Effect if they don't deepen it. Give us more than two choices please. This doesn't by any means make it a bad game, it's just not the revolutionary moral choices that it was made out to be.

As far as the gameplay elements, they really are remarkably similar to System Shock 2, which I popped in again today just to see if I was remembering it correctly. Admittedly, they are better executed than they were in System Shock 2, and the much more appealing setting makes the game feel more imersive, but the things that make Bioshock a better game than system shock 2 really have nothing to do with originality. It's the polish that sets it apart.