By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Zero Punction on Bioshock

ssj12 said:
Hawk said:
Kasz216 said:
ssj12 said:
twesterm said:
My favorite reviewer is back and this time with hid take on Bioshock. It's always nice to know that that I pretty much completely agree with him on everything except the System Shock 2 references (and that's only because I've never played it).

he is completely correct about the system shock 2 elements. BioShock is basically a complete rip off of system shock 2 but with prettier graphics which basically means that grant it, its great, its truly not original or even deserves the respect to be called a new game. Its like taking Mario painting him blue, change the princess's name to queen apple, name bowser Godzilla, and call it the game Super Dino Hunter.

Correct me if i'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure they made System Shock 2. So you really can't call it a rip off.

If I am not mistaken, Kaz216 is right. So saying Bioshock is a rip off of System Shock 2, is like saying Super Mario World is a rip off of Super Mario Bros 3.

theres a difference between sequals, rip-offs, and spin-offs.

plus the review even calls it a rip-off, and your point on super mario world being a rip off of Super Mario Bros 3 doesnt work because its an spin-off just like Super Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy.

I believe you mean "sequel".  [edit: by which I mean that the Mario games are sequels, in addition to the issue of spelling.]

And the interesting thing about Bioshock actually being a sequel/spinoff/ripoff is this: If more people had been aware of just how much it owed to the System Shock games, would it have still been reviewed more favorably than Metroid Prime 3?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
ssj12 said:

theres a difference between sequals, rip-offs, and spin-offs.

plus the review even calls it a rip-off, and your point on super mario world being a rip off of Super Mario Bros 3 doesnt work because its an spin-off just like Super Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy. 

Ok, ssj12, I'll humor you.  Irrational Games ripped off their own game.  Shame on them.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

SS 12 wtf are you talking about Irrational games made system shock 2 and now they made bioshock, while being similar are very different games. I dont even really consider it a sequal in my mind.

The game brough new things whether you like it or not

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

links not working =(

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Who gives a poop if it 'ripped off' elements from their own older game. Its HAS been called the spiritual succesor to System Shock so its not like they are trying to deny that.

ZOMG they both have the word "Shock" in their names, they even "ripped off" the name! Whatever.

The game still rocks regardless of how 'original' it isnt.

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:

I believe you mean "sequel". [edit: by which I mean that the Mario games are sequels, in addition to the issue of spelling.]

And the interesting thing about Bioshock actually being a sequel/spinoff/ripoff is this: If more people had been aware of just how much it owed to the System Shock games, would it have still been reviewed more favorably than Metroid Prime 3?

Interesting point... every reviewer docked Metroid Prime 3 for being similar to it's previous games.  They were made by the same developer.  Shouldn't Bioshock (a veritable clone of system shock 2, but with a toned down plot), have been hit even harder?  

naznatips said:
Final-Fan said:

I believe you mean "sequel". [edit: by which I mean that the Mario games are sequels, in addition to the issue of spelling.]

Interesting point... every reviewer docked Metroid Prime 3 for being similar to it's previous games.  They were made by the same developer.  Shouldn't Bioshock (a veritable clone of system shock 2, but with a toned down plot), have been hit even harder?  

Maybe, but how long has it been since system shock two compared to metroid 2? I really believe that its been so long it feels like new, and it is new in alot of ways more then metroid is to metroid two (besides controls) least i think it is

WHY CANT I WATCH IT, im so sad

That was hilarious and pretty much spot-on, just like the others.

That said, personally I'm sick of all the "X2 is similar to X" criticisms, whether it's System Shock / BioShock, Metroid, or anything else. I don't really see how that's a valid argument, the whole point is to offer gamers a very-similar-yet-still-new experience.

The people who will buy Halo 3 WANT it to be like Halo and Halo 2, that's the whole reason they're buying it in the first place.

That goes for all other products as well.  Without having seen it, I bet Rush Hour 3 is about a black comedian and Chinese martial arts guy fighting gangsters.  A new model Toyota Camry is like old Camrys, not like a Ford Explorer.  The new iPod looks almost the same as the old one, and pretty much does the exact same things. 

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

sinha said:

That was hilarious and pretty much spot-on, just like the others.

That said, personally I'm sick of all the "X2 is similar to X" criticisms, whether it's System Shock / BioShock, Metroid, or anything else. I don't really see how that's a valid argument, the whole point is to offer gamers a very-similar-yet-still-new experience.

The people who will buy Halo 3 WANT it to be like Halo and Halo 2, that's the whole reason they're buying it in the first place.

I completely agree with you.  When games follow a similar formula to old games (especially when that formula was near perfect in the first place) and do nothing but polish it, why score down for that?  One of the most notorious cases of that is Phoenix Wright and Pokemon games.  Pokemon games don't change much because their fans don't want it to.  Phoenix Wright is a series that is basically an interactive book, and they are basically pure plot.  Despite the 2nd game having better plot, it was scored worse than the first for being too similar.  I think that's stupid.  Not every game should completely change the formula.  Especially ones that aren't trying to.