By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft and Blizzard Talk About Next Xbox

http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=16079

At the Luminaries Lunch at GDC today, Blizzard's Rob Pardo confirmed that Blizzard has been in talks with Microsoft about the next Xbox. It would seem that this confirms that Microsoft is working on the successor to Xbox 360, though Blizzard is apparently the only developer that has been approached by either Microsoft or Sony. Some people are concerned that this means that content is not a priority for console-makers in the coming generation.

Acclaim's Dave Perry talked a bit on the subject. "How many designers in the games industry do you think they are rounding up to [talk to], because this is going to make or break them this time around," Perry said. He continued: "I'm not aware that they are putting a big amount of effort into finding out how to make the games. The people who are actually physically going to make the games are all going to get a surprise."

Warren Spector, creator of Deus Ex and boss of Disney's Junction Point Studios, is also concerned that the format holders may be casting too broad a net.

"I get the impression they're focusing on owning the living room," Spector said. "One device that lets you watch movies, television and play games and music and all that stuff. They're so focused on that that I'm not even sure they're thinking about the games that are going to come out. Which is kind of crazy."

Rob Pardo talked a bit about how World of Warcraft never came to consoles because the hardware is not designed to accommodate certain types of games. "There are are so many games like we make at Blizzard that we don't take to consoles because they don't support the input device and you end up with crappy ports. That's why RTS games never do well on consoles," he said. "If I was them, I'd be sitting around trying to figure out what's a cool input device that supports all types of new kinds of games."

Could Mr. Pardo be dropping a hint about what Microsoft is thinking? I'm guessing we won't be finding out anytime soon.

NOT good news IMO

Around the Network

If Sony and Microsoft both go complete multimedia route, I predict next gen will be like the PSP/DS battle... with PS360 nextgen taking the place of PSP
In other words, Nintendomination will continue for the foreseeable future.

the mark about "rts" games not being done or a success on the console side , he should get into "halo wars". because m$ has proven them wrong. also final fantasy 11 has been a success on the console side too, either he is not knowing his facts or blizzard is lazy.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

I don't know what to think about that. I have no interest in any of Blizzard's games.

no shit that microsoft or sony would try and figure out how to get blizzard on to their consoles. so then is next consoles gonna be built around the fact they want to have MMO's so they can get a part of the billions WoW makes

Around the Network

The Blizzard guy is the only one who has inside knowledge, the others are just expressing their concerns.

From that, I'm going to take a guess that this console will not be a huge graphics upgrade, instead it will be this: A somewhat more powerful console with a wide variety of control mechanisms that come with the system (whether it's in one very versatile controller, or a somewhat versatile controller and a couple of extra input mechanisms).

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

I know a secret about the next xbox

SONY for god's sake.....

PS Brand is HUGE

go back to PS1/PS2 strategy

forget bout the living room

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Wuh-oh?

Those are weighty concerns to have.

highwaystar101 said:
I know a secret about the next xbox

what is it?