By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is Madworld the poster child for Hardcore on Wii?

patjuan32 said:
Gamerace said:
I'd say realistically CODWaW is the hardcore title of note on Wii.

Let's face it, Deadly Creature, MadWorld, Mushroom Men, No More Heros, etc. are all decidedly niche. They would never even exist on HD console because it would be too big a gamble.

Although they are not only new IPs but they are either heavily stylized or out of the norm. Not exactly big ticket titles. Period.

CoDWaW is a big franchise, great game, fantastic online, well reviewed game that uses Wii controls effectively. IT and currently only IT should be the determination of 'core' titles on Wii. And since it's sold 1m units the obvious answer is YES core titles can sell on Wii. But not nearly as well as they do on HD systems.

You do know that more core games are released by third parties on the HD twins than the Wii. More importanntly, third parties continue to release core games for the HD twins which continues to build and support that audience. While core titles by third parties are an afterthought and are released so infrenquently that the Wii audience is left underserved and wanting. If third parties were to change and support the Wii with core titles like the HD twins then those games would sell at a similar rate.

Of course that is true.  And Wii initially had a core group - as evidenced by Red Steel's success but it has been left wanting for years with little to substain it so it's mostly moved on to the HD twins.   Could a lot of AAA core games on Wii bring them back or create a new core market on Wii?  Sure.  And once they were back everyone would support them.   But what publisher wants to build that audience in the first place when it already exists in strength on HD.

Around the Network
SmokedHostage said:

I just curious because it seems that GTTV and people on this site alike seem to think it's the only recent hardcore game on Wii..

I've grown to believe that Hardcore gamers are fickle.. and they aknowledge games with 80+ scores on Metacritic and Gamerankings.  Honestly.. Why isn't Deadly Creatures or House of the Dead: Overkill in this category. >:(

Ignorance, that's why.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

@Patjuan: It isn't about Wii not getting core titles (which it obviously is), but not getting the high profile big name core titles. In the category that lacks on Wii, CoD was a great example.

@Topic: What people actually are waiting is "the" title, "Halo" of Wii, exclusive that gets the core audience to rush to Wii, since the core games library isn't bad by any means, it's just the big (non-Nintendo) title that's still missing.
But, the kind of title is actually not needed, since the core games library is growing all the time, getting more core gamers into Wii and Nintendos strategy is to get the console that has games for everyone into families, where everyone can buy the game they want for it. No matter whether the console was originally bought for Wii Fit or Zelda.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

SmokedHostage said:

I just curious because it seems that GTTV and people on this site alike seem to think it's the only recent hardcore game on Wii..

I've grown to believe that Hardcore gamers are fickle.. and they aknowledge games with 80+ scores on Metacritic and Gamerankings.  Honestly.. Why isn't Deadly Creatures or House of the Dead: Overkill in this category. >:(

I find it amusing actually.

A lot of people seem to say that hardcore games aren't defined by violence and high age ratings only to turn around and rave about titles like No More Heroes and Mad World as being hardcore.  Silly double standards.

what makes a game hardcore?

Around the Network
patjuan32 said:
Gamerace said:

Let's face it, Deadly Creature, MadWorld, Mushroom Men, No More Heros, etc. are all decidedly niche. They would never even exist on HD console because it would be too big a gamble.

Although they are not only new IPs but they are either heavily stylized or out of the norm. Not exactly big ticket titles. Period.

CoDWaW is a big franchise, great game, fantastic online, well reviewed game that uses Wii controls effectively. IT and currently only IT should be the determination of 'core' titles on Wii. And since it's sold 1m units the obvious answer is YES core titles can sell on Wii. But not nearly as well as they do on HD systems.

You do know that more core games are released by third parties on the HD twins than the Wii. More importanntly, third parties continue to release core games for the HD twins which continues to build and support that audience. While core titles by third parties are an afterthought and are released so infrenquently that the Wii audience is left underserved and wanting. If third parties were to change and support the Wii with core titles like the HD twins then those games would sell at a similar rate.

And then Nintendo would be back in the position of trying to scrounge a way through the console war. The reason for all of the succes (at least in most part) is the so called "casual crowd". So, as a business, they are doing what is financially sound. May hurt to hear, but is true. They let enough "hardcore" games trickle through to keep the faithful happy, and that's pretty much it. At least that is how it seems as of now.

In all honesty though, I am quite happy with the offerings that have been coming to the console lately. I really don't have much to complain about. This year is turning out to be quite good for the "hardcore" gamer in me.

Just kiss the tip.

Okami's the best, but I suppose that doesn't count because it's a port.

SmokedHostage said:

Hostage asked not so much "what games showcase hardcore" but rather "why is madworld constantly showcased"? My believe is that the "casual" (ugh) argument is so much a part of the GamerSnob's mantra now, that wii fans will pick the most over the top hardocre game to balance out any doubt. Picture yourself as a HD fanboy on Gametrailers with the "wii is party games" mantra in your head. Now, what screenshot will convince you faster?

This:

Or this?

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Arkk said:
patjuan32 said:
Gamerace said:

And then Nintendo would be back in the position of trying to scrounge a way through the console war. The reason for all of the succes (at least in most part) is the so called "casual crowd". So, as a business, they are doing what is financially sound. May hurt to hear, but is true. They let enough "hardcore" games trickle through to keep the faithful happy, and that's pretty much it. At least that is how it seems as of now.

In all honesty though, I am quite happy with the offerings that have been coming to the console lately. I really don't have much to complain about. This year is turning out to be quite good for the "hardcore" gamer in me.

Personally, I don't care about third parties.  I bought my Wii for Nintendo's titles, just like I every other Nintendo console I've owned, and I feel they are seriously lacking in releases.  By this point in the GC's life, we had recieved Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race; Blue Storm, Pikmin, Animal Crossing,  Super Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Bros. Melee, the Wind Waker, Star Fox Assault, Wario World, F-Zero GX, Kirby's Air Ride, two Mario Parties, among other titles like 1080 Snowboarding, and this gen we've seen nothing close to that.  Last gen we were getting plenty of older titles and plenty of new IPs, while this gen we've only revied a new Super Mario, a new Paper Mario, a new Smash Bros., a new Zelda that was really just a GC port, a new Metroid Prime, a new Mario Party, a new Animal Crossing, and a new Wario, and some unofficial announcements for stuff like Pikmin 3.

It's kind've annoying me that Nintendo are richer and larger than ever, a thus should have the means to be pumping out games left and right (which usually sell well, making them even richer), but they seem to be sitting back and letting the third parties do all the work, now that Nintendo finally has their support again.

@Makinmusic: Don't forget Doshin the Giant.

Partially GC received "additional" amount of first party games due to getting the delayed N64 games ported/remade for it.

Also, WM+ propably has effect on releases getting delayed. I would think Nintendo would want to push system sales in Japan.

You forgot Battallion Wars, Excite Truck, Fire Emblem and Disaster from your Wii list (and Pokemon Battle Revolution).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.