By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is Madworld the poster child for Hardcore on Wii?

makingmusic476 said:
Arkk said:
patjuan32 said:
Gamerace said:
I'd say realistically CODWaW is the hardcore title of note on Wii.

Let's face it, Deadly Creature, MadWorld, Mushroom Men, No More Heros, etc. are all decidedly niche. They would never even exist on HD console because it would be too big a gamble.

Although they are not only new IPs but they are either heavily stylized or out of the norm. Not exactly big ticket titles. Period.

CoDWaW is a big franchise, great game, fantastic online, well reviewed game that uses Wii controls effectively. IT and currently only IT should be the determination of 'core' titles on Wii. And since it's sold 1m units the obvious answer is YES core titles can sell on Wii. But not nearly as well as they do on HD systems.

You do know that more core games are released by third parties on the HD twins than the Wii. More importanntly, third parties continue to release core games for the HD twins which continues to build and support that audience. While core titles by third parties are an afterthought and are released so infrenquently that the Wii audience is left underserved and wanting. If third parties were to change and support the Wii with core titles like the HD twins then those games would sell at a similar rate.

And then Nintendo would be back in the position of trying to scrounge a way through the console war. The reason for all of the succes (at least in most part) is the so called "casual crowd". So, as a business, they are doing what is financially sound. May hurt to hear, but is true. They let enough "hardcore" games trickle through to keep the faithful happy, and that's pretty much it. At least that is how it seems as of now.

In all honesty though, I am quite happy with the offerings that have been coming to the console lately. I really don't have much to complain about. This year is turning out to be quite good for the "hardcore" gamer in me.

Personally, I don't care about third parties.  I bought my Wii for Nintendo's titles, just like I every other Nintendo console I've owned, and I feel they are seriously lacking in releases.  By this point in the GC's life, we had recieved Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race; Blue Storm, Pikmin, Animal Crossing,  Super Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Bros. Melee, the Wind Waker, Star Fox Assault, Wario World, F-Zero GX, Kirby's Air Ride, two Mario Parties, among other titles like 1080 Snowboarding, and this gen we've seen nothing close to that.  Last gen we were getting plenty of older titles and plenty of new IPs, while this gen we've only revied a new Super Mario, a new Paper Mario, a new Smash Bros., a new Zelda that was really just a GC port, a new Metroid Prime, a new Mario Party, a new Animal Crossing, and a new Wario, and some unofficial announcements for stuff like Pikmin 3.

It's kind've annoying me that Nintendo are richer and larger than ever, a thus should have the means to be pumping out games left and right (which usually sell well, making them even richer), but they seem to be sitting back and letting the third parties do all the work, now that Nintendo finally has their support again.

You're forgetting: Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Mario Strikers, Link's Crossbow Training, Fire Emblem, Big Brain Academy, Pokémon Battle Rev, Endless Ocean, Excite Truck, Mario Super Sluggers, Batallion Wars 2, Wii Music, and Disaster Day of Crisis.

Sure, not all those games are quality, but most are. This generarion, Nintendo has made a LOT more games than they did on the GameCube.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
makingmusic476 said:
Arkk said:
patjuan32 said:
Gamerace said:
I'd say realistically CODWaW is the hardcore title of note on Wii.

Let's face it, Deadly Creature, MadWorld, Mushroom Men, No More Heros, etc. are all decidedly niche. They would never even exist on HD console because it would be too big a gamble.

Although they are not only new IPs but they are either heavily stylized or out of the norm. Not exactly big ticket titles. Period.

CoDWaW is a big franchise, great game, fantastic online, well reviewed game that uses Wii controls effectively. IT and currently only IT should be the determination of 'core' titles on Wii. And since it's sold 1m units the obvious answer is YES core titles can sell on Wii. But not nearly as well as they do on HD systems.

You do know that more core games are released by third parties on the HD twins than the Wii. More importanntly, third parties continue to release core games for the HD twins which continues to build and support that audience. While core titles by third parties are an afterthought and are released so infrenquently that the Wii audience is left underserved and wanting. If third parties were to change and support the Wii with core titles like the HD twins then those games would sell at a similar rate.

And then Nintendo would be back in the position of trying to scrounge a way through the console war. The reason for all of the succes (at least in most part) is the so called "casual crowd". So, as a business, they are doing what is financially sound. May hurt to hear, but is true. They let enough "hardcore" games trickle through to keep the faithful happy, and that's pretty much it. At least that is how it seems as of now.

In all honesty though, I am quite happy with the offerings that have been coming to the console lately. I really don't have much to complain about. This year is turning out to be quite good for the "hardcore" gamer in me.

Personally, I don't care about third parties.  I bought my Wii for Nintendo's titles, just like I every other Nintendo console I've owned, and I feel they are seriously lacking in releases.  By this point in the GC's life, we had recieved Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race; Blue Storm, Pikmin, Animal Crossing,  Super Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Bros. Melee, the Wind Waker, Star Fox Assault, Wario World, F-Zero GX, Kirby's Air Ride, two Mario Parties, among other titles like 1080 Snowboarding, and this gen we've seen nothing close to that.  Last gen we were getting plenty of older titles and plenty of new IPs, while this gen we've only revied a new Super Mario, a new Paper Mario, a new Smash Bros., a new Zelda that was really just a GC port, a new Metroid Prime, a new Mario Party, a new Animal Crossing, and a new Wario, and some unofficial announcements for stuff like Pikmin 3.

It's kind've annoying me that Nintendo are richer and larger than ever, a thus should have the means to be pumping out games left and right (which usually sell well, making them even richer), but they seem to be sitting back and letting the third parties do all the work, now that Nintendo finally has their support again.

You're forgetting: Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Mario Strikers, Link's Crossbow Training, Fire Emblem, Big Brain Academy, Pokémon Battle Rev, Endless Ocean, Excite Truck, Mario Super Sluggers, Batallion Wars 2, Wii Music, and Disaster Day of Crisis.

Sure, not all those games are quality, but most are. This generarion, Nintendo has made a LOT more games than they did on the GameCube.

I left off quite a few from both lists.  For some reason I left off Mario Kart from both lists, and I left off Eternal Darkness, Mario Golf, among others from the GC list.

Also, Disaster: Day of Crisis and Doshin the Giant never made their way to NA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_published_by_Nintendo#Nintendo_GameCube

Tbh, I'd be perfectly happy with either a new Wave Race or a new full-fleged Kirby, or (especially) a new Star Fox.  I may be waiting a while for any of those, though.  Maybe the wave racing game that'll come with WM+ will be a prototype for a new Wave Race or something.

@Chrizum: I think he meant core titles, not blue ocean games like BBA or Wii Sports.

Strikers and Sluggers would still count though (as an addition to games i listed).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

I wish they would come with a new F-Zero, with GC controller support and 16 player online races. And a track editor, oh yeah.

F-Zero would be awesome. I'm playing Wipeout HD on my ps3, and it's good, but just not the same.

Around the Network

@Makinmusic: As long as your complaint is developement, we should be counting the games that have been released only in Japan aswell (or any other one region).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

bdbdbd said:
@Makinmusic: As long as your complaint is developement, we should be counting the games that have been released only in Japan aswell (or any other one region).

I suppose.  But there were plenty of titles not released for either system in NA.  It roughly evens out.  Like Doshin for GC and Disaster for Wii.

I just feel like they're releasing quite a few sequels, but not as many as last gen and far less new IPs, aside from the Wii series. There are no cool surprises like Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, or Metroid finally going 3D (I'm still waiting for them to announce Kid Icarus! lol).

If any game deserves to be called hardcore, it's MadWorld. That's all I know.

@Makinmusic: There are a number of sequels i'm hoping to find them on Wii some day. Like F-Zero and what would be extremely cool game would be Wave Race. Punch-Out is coming, so that's one out from the wishlist and Kid Icarus would be fun to see on Wii.

By the way, considering that WSR has the water jet racing, Wave Race Wii could likely hit Wii. Nintendo propably doesn't want to create a controls engine just for one minigame. The controls from Charge in Wii Play went nearly 1:1 to Mario Kart Wii.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

bdbdbd said:
@Makinmusic: There are a number of sequels i'm hoping to find them on Wii some day. Like F-Zero and what would be extremely cool game would be Wave Race. Punch-Out is coming, so that's one out from the wishlist and Kid Icarus would be fun to see on Wii.

By the way, considering that WSR has the water jet racing, Wave Race Wii could likely hit Wii. Nintendo propably doesn't want to create a controls engine just for one minigame. The controls from Charge in Wii Play went nearly 1:1 to Mario Kart Wii.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I wonder what goodies Iwata will announce at his keynote...