By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is Madworld the poster child for Hardcore on Wii?

I just curious because it seems that GTTV and people on this site alike seem to think it's the only recent hardcore game on Wii..

I've grown to believe that Hardcore gamers are fickle.. and they aknowledge games with 80+ scores on Metacritic and Gamerankings.  Honestly.. Why isn't Deadly Creatures or House of the Dead: Overkill in this category. >:(

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network

Metroid Prime 3 was one of the very few Hardcore AAA games for Wii. Deadly Creatures and House of the Dead are great, but not of the same calibur. I'd say Madworld is almost as good as Metroid.

3DS FC: 1306 6473 7511

Nintendod Network ID: xsorenx

Add me for Pokemon, New Leaf, and Fire Emblem, Mario Kart 8.

Because it's a fairly well-known title still a chance to fail. If/when it doesn't expect there to be another "only recent hardcore game for the Wii" to show up.

People conveniently ignore many hardcore games so they can keep up the "no hardcore games on Wii" mantra.

People are constantly looking for ammunition to troll Wii. It's easier to exonerate games via goalpost moving (i.e. "RE is a strong brand", "1st party doesn't count") in order to "prove" their point. I think this is one reason why MadWorld is suddenly the litmus test for how a hardcore game will perform on the Wii despite the many other hardcore games that came out before it and did quite well.

I want HOTD Overkill and Deadly Creatures way more than I want Madworld (don't really want that game at all, really).

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

I'd say realistically CODWaW is the hardcore title of note on Wii.

Let's face it, Deadly Creature, MadWorld, Mushroom Men, No More Heros, etc. are all decidedly niche. They would never even exist on HD console because it would be too big a gamble.

Although they are not only new IPs but they are either heavily stylized or out of the norm. Not exactly big ticket titles. Period.

CoDWaW is a big franchise, great game, fantastic online, well reviewed game that uses Wii controls effectively. IT and currently only IT should be the determination of 'core' titles on Wii. And since it's sold 1m units the obvious answer is YES core titles can sell on Wii. But not nearly as well as they do on HD systems.

Because people who should be in the know seem to know very little about the Wii.

Also, as has been stated, it gives people a chance to be critical of the Wii -- which they also enjoy.

Mike from Morgantown

Feel free to comment in http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=65197&page=1 which is related to this topic.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

I agree with Kenology. Its goalpost moving. Especially fun in this case because its a Clover game, bound to not do that well in the standard of huge games. It'll do well for itself, certainly.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Gamerace said:
I'd say realistically CODWaW is the hardcore title of note on Wii.

Let's face it, Deadly Creature, MadWorld, Mushroom Men, No More Heros, etc. are all decidedly niche. They would never even exist on HD console because it would be too big a gamble.

Although they are not only new IPs but they are either heavily stylized or out of the norm. Not exactly big ticket titles. Period.

CoDWaW is a big franchise, great game, fantastic online, well reviewed game that uses Wii controls effectively. IT and currently only IT should be the determination of 'core' titles on Wii. And since it's sold 1m units the obvious answer is YES core titles can sell on Wii. But not nearly as well as they do on HD systems.

You do know that more core games are released by third parties on the HD twins than the Wii. More importanntly, third parties continue to release core games for the HD twins which continues to build and support that audience. While core titles by third parties are an afterthought and are released so infrenquently that the Wii audience is left underserved and wanting. If third parties were to change and support the Wii with core titles like the HD twins then those games would sell at a similar rate.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

SmokedHostage said:

I just curious because it seems that GTTV and people on this site alike seem to think it's the only recent hardcore game on Wii..

I've grown to believe that Hardcore gamers are fickle.. and they aknowledge games with 80+ scores on Metacritic and Gamerankings. Honestly.. Why isn't Deadly Creatures or House of the Dead: Overkill in this category. >:(

I think you summed it up pretty accurately right there. I think the term hardcore gamer should be replaced with 'Gamer Snob'.

The only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth.