By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A State of the Union for the Playstation 3

Dgc1808 said:
I think the PS3's better than both the Wii and 360. That's my opinion.

You think that it just "Doesn't suck". That's your opinion I guess.

This

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network

Another 'look at me im zen and i can type lots of words' post

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

ZenfoldorVGI said:
City17 said:
The PS3 may not suck but I cannot find myself able to say the same about this thread...

The thread tells the truth, or at least my version of it. I fully expected it to piss everyone off, or at least those who would rather enjoy a pretty lie.

I could care less what you think. Post constructively or move on.

I think his post was much more constructive than you OP.

I'm done with reading further. This was BS.

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

Zen, im not sure you are in the postion to give a A State of the Union address for the Playstation 3. Its a bit like the Nicolas Sarkozy giving a State of the Union address for the states

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

joshin69 said:
Zen, im not sure you are in the postion to give a A State of the Union address for the Playstation 3. Its a bit like the Nicolas Sarkozy giving a State of the Union address for the states

Given some of the over the top, rabid damage control going on in this thread perhaps many PS3 fans are incapable of being unbiased enough to write such a piece. 

Around the Network

Sorry for skipping almost entire thread, I just don't feel like reading it all.

"A. We get excited because the PS3's software sales are "starting to catch up to the 360.""

It's a good sign, isn't it? Well, I can't really speak of this matter much more since I haven't looked into it very much. All I know is that 360 > PS3 in software sales. Personally I'd say it's about the differences in the userbases (and I don't mean the size now).

"B. We get super-pumped over the biggest console exclusive for the PS3 selling 4 million LTD."

I'd say it's not bad, though it's still behind 360's exclusives. Anyway, the explanation is probably the userbase and the fact that MGS4 doesn't appeal to such a broad market like Halo and Gears of War do. Resistance and MotorStorm, on the other hand, were bundled for quite a while and also were some of the few worthwhile games in the beginning. Anyway, four million seems to be pretty good for a PS3 game despite not being too close to 360 exclusives. And actually now that I look at it, Halo is the only 360 exclusive to have sold significantly more. The best selling 360 exclusive, Gears of War, is just a bit below 6M. Sure, it's more but I'd say it's mainly because of the differences in userbases (also, there was less competition back then I believe). Anyway, the differences aren't that big in the end.

"C. We call the big three AAA exclusive games on the PS3 "the best games in their genre," and/or "the best game/s of all time.""

What can I say? I think they are slightly blinded by their fanboyism and thus sincerely believe it is so. That is their opinion, though the reasons may not be very good. Of course this might not be the case for everyone. Anyway, no PS3 game (or 360 game) is the best game in its genre, not to say the best game (or one of the best) of all time.

"D. We flame multiplatform games, if they don't sell well on the PS3, despite their quality, like Bioshock. We also make up conditions as to why certain didn't meet expectations(ie: "sold well for a new IP" or "sold well for February" ect.)"

Some of these reason are definitely good, though not always. Bioshock, for example, came on the PS3 too late and wasn't any better so there was no chance for it to sell very well. Oh, not to mention the price. New IPs generally have a hard time unless they have much hype (a good developer and/or the publisher hyping the game). Should also be remembered that the 360 version might actually steal some of PS3's sales. It's pretty case-dependant though, but generally that's what I believe happens. As this is a very general point of yours, it's pretty hard to say much about it. I could even say that the reasons are always good and it wouldn't be much, if at all, worse argument than yours. It seems you were too unspecific.

"1. The console still has very poor Jrpg support by any standard. This is a travesty we can place directly on Sony's head."

I don't really see how this is Sony's fault (unless you really wanted Sony to pay for exclusives or even getting games on their platform). Anyway, JRPGs aren't that important in the west; their importance is significant in Japan only. I don't believe a few web forums are a reliable way to judge their importance. If the members of VGChartz are JRPG fans, it doesn't mean that all console owners are.

"2. Sony has decided to no longer support 3rd party exclusive games, instead concentrating on its first and second party party, admittedly western-centric titles, at cost to Sony fans, with profits as a motive. This is in stark contrast to the gamer-centric strategy of Sony's main competition. The Lost and the Damned, for instance, is a AAA loss likely due directly to Sony's cheapness.

This has also led to the loss of every major 3rd party Playstation brand associated game, from DMC to FFXIII, to Tekken, as well as a wealth of DLC."

As they say, why not let the users of other platforms enjoy the games too? This is just another reason for me to hate M$: they steal the experiences. Sony doesn't steal them, however they do offer some themselves but only for their supporters. I believe your point is that Sony hasn't wanted to pay for exclusives? If so, then all I can say that I really dislike buying them. It's a valid market strategy but to a consumer, it's a bad thing. I'm a consumer so it's bad to me. Oh, and I'd also like to point out that development costs are ridiculously high these days so no wonder exclusives are becoming increasingly rare.

"3. The PS3 is still on pace to easily end up in 3rd place this gen, and in fact, it is almost impossible mathematically to come up with any scenerio which would keep the PS3 out of dead last. The PS3 lost this generation. The gamecube also, didn't suck."

Mathematically it's not even nearly impossible. It's more about whether Sony can gain the momentum. Price comes in here, and that could be the single most important factor. That's also why it is becoming increasingly unlikely that Sony is going to catch up with MS, but it's still far from impossible. Just to be clear, I think Sony will lose this gen unless they do something big either this year or the beginning of the next at latest.

"4. Even if it didn't lose this generation, which it did, the console still went from the most epic of wins, the PS2, to a degredation of its namesake, the near ruination of the Playstation brand, and all of this is attributed directly to Sony's attempt to push early adoption of Blu-Ray at the expense of its gaming fanbase."

I don't think ruination has been even close but otherwise you are right. Well, I don't think Blu-ray was that bad; its only drawback was its cost, and that's huge. PS3 was and still is too expensive for the average consumer.

"4. The console still costs 399 dollars. This, above all else, is an unacceptable fiasco."

It is way too much, I agree with you about that. However, considering how well it sells when its main competitor is so much cheaper, it's very impressive. This is also the biggest reason why I think Sony might have a chance: PlayStation is still a huge brand and when they reach a nice price point, it could very well mean huge sales. After all, it's the price that's the biggest issue right now. As I said, however, they need to cut the price fast if they are tohave a chance, and I'm not so sure if they can afford or want to cut the price anytime soon.

"5. The console is still significantly behind in game library according to the quantifiable methods of determination, aggregate reviews and/or overall game sales. This is an admittedly weak point, but still, it's the only quantifiable methods we have to determine such things as game library quality and more importantly, game library popularity."

I believe games aren't a problem anymore, for the average consumer at least. Both consoles have both good and great games already. Sure, those who are more into these things, it's usually 360 that's better but in general, I'd still say this is already pretty insignificant.

"1. Graphics are currently superior to the main competition, judging by Killzone 2."

The average consumer can't see too much difference here. Even I think the differences aren't too big right now, and I'm not sure if the will even become.

Generally I'd agree about that many have gone too far.

Lol @ this thread. Enjoy your 360, hope it doesn't Red Ring on you.

Heck, Zen. You used to post interesting material. That was a blast of over-inflammatory language that also looks surprisingly weak on facts. Something up with you?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I could easily argue that PS3 is the best console this gen. That's much more than just not sucking. You give it too little credit.

CAL4M1TY said:
I agree with you ZenfoldorVGI, especially points A-D concerning the majority of Sony fans behaviour. Spot on (which is sad really).

Also, you should note for future reference, if you say anything bad about anything PS3 related and bring up some good points because you genuinely see them, you'll still get flamed as a person that posted a negative thread and only used some good points to mask you ragging on the PS3. It's happened in the two threads I've posted here (about LBP and KZ2).

Clearly if I wanted to rag on the PS3, I'd do it, wouldn't give a crap about what other people thought of me (oh noes, imz afraid angry fanboys arez going to trax me down!).

Anyway, I think Sony's biggest fault this generation was trying to control the next format (blu-ray) at the expense of the consumers, most of which blindly followed them into the dust. You can blame Nintendo for racing out to a flying start, you can blame MS for stealing previously playstation exclusives, but the fact of the matter is, Sony made a conscious decision to spend funding on controlling the next format as opposed to giving consumers what they wanted (I'm sure at the start of this generation you didn't say you wanted Blu-ray).

But the Playstation will be in very good stead come next generation (blu-ray finally becomes affordable, 2 cell's attached together and what ever graphics card AMD/Nvidia spits out next). Aside from the AAA games (which is comparable to the 360 library to a certain extent), that's probably the best thing PS3 fans can take from this generation. (I'm quite happy with just the AAA games though, don't really care about who's 1st, 2nd or 3rd, as long as sony still gets me games to play on my console).

funny how most of these posters are reasonable well respected members of the community who support multiple consoles that are shooting down the OP... it cant be that the OP is filled with lies, whines, speculation, miss representations, and ego.... it must be that we are all rabid fanboys... right?